ATI Official Catalyst 8.1 Is Out Now!!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by moab600, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Buggy

Buggy New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GFX 560Ti SOC
    InfDaMarvel: You are right about that colors, same problem happened to me with 7.12 drivers.
    Solution for me was: Control panel -> system -> "advanced" tab -> "Performance" button -> uncheck "Smooth edges of screen fonts"

This works for me - colors went back to normal :)

2. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    3*HD5850 Tri-CFX 850/1150
    Hey guys I am also getting the 'Flickering' problem with 2900 CF.

now with 8.1 the flickering is gone but the driver has also introduced a new 'vsync' problem for me where the lower half of the screen shakes when vsync is disabled... at least when i had the 'flickering' problem i could solve it by capping my fps to match my screens refresh rate, but unfourtunatly this doesnt fix the new vsync problem in 8.1... so back to 7.12 and capping my fps.

oh btw i have also got the wrong colours in my browsers etc..

3. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    well after playing the games I mostly play I decided that 8.1 is crap because I was getting huge fps drops in games like quake 4 and cod4 and small hits in bf2 and AA.so I went back to 7.9 which is the best working driver for me.

like in areas' like in the screen shots I would get tremendas video lag with 8.1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mithias

Mithias New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 512Mb GDDR4
    Got these drivers working great in Vista x64. Can't really compare them to another set though since this is a clean install. Only game I've tested so far is Bioshock which seem to work fine with all on high.

Interesting point, I got just over 36000 on 3dmark03 with this setup in XP, I get 35151 in vista, not as much of a loss as I was expecting at all!

Mithias,

P.S. Has anyone tried these drivers with the new SP1 RC? Interested to see if it breaks anything......

5. Schepsel

Schepsel Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX VEGA 64
    Just upgraded to 8.1... Anyone having this little grey square in the upper left corner of his LCD screen??? Hehe Weird... Test now...

6. Synthetic

Synthetic Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950pro AGP 512m @621/749
    Just close the ccc tray tool m8.

7. Schepsel

Schepsel Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX VEGA 64

Check...!!! Thx!

8. poscs

poscs Guest

GPU:
    HD 6870 now R9 290
    You are correct InfDaMarvel, this is the same problem I had reported in the 7.12 thread.

I use XP pro, and have a Visiontek 3870.
    For me it affects , Firefox text, some Windows XP text, and AVG AnitiVirus text. 7.10 and 7.11 drivers do not do or cause this to happen.

All circled text in pic should be blue, not orange.
    http://aycu40.webshots.com/image/40479/2003137899023764287_rs.jpg

And btw, i dont use windows blinds or any other desk top alteration programs. Fresh clean XP install less than a week ago.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  9. Synthetic

Synthetic Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950pro AGP 512m @621/749
    have you tried it in ie7?

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    LOL! I didn't notice it till I'd read your post!:3eyes: And thanks Synthetic, clossing CCC did remove it....

11. poscs

poscs Guest

GPU:
    HD 6870 now R9 290
    IE 7 text appears to be okay with the 7.12 and 8.1, and dose not display the same text problems as Firefox 2.0.0.11. with those two drivers.

However I can un-check Smooth edges of screen fonts in XP Performance Options to with 7.12 and 8.1 to make the problem go away in Firefox but not with AVG. http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/41811/2001992508406377080_rs.jpg

Also one of the XP loading screens has the orange/red highlighted around the the word Windows text in white, that should also be blue.

And I see now that I have the little white box in the corner of my top left screen now as other have reported.

Like I said, these text problems totally go away using the 7.10 or 7.11.

Edit: Ok setting the desktop color to 16bits with 8.1 corrects some AVG text, but not all of it, and the desktop now looks like crap. lol
    http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/42618/2000270941864473201_rs.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  12. nunyerbiz

nunyerbiz New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3870 512MB X-Fire
    I haven't done a ton of gaming yet on the 8.1 drivers... but with about 4-5 hours split between TF2, CoD4 and Crysis... I haven't had a single issue. No problems with text / fonts either.... so I can't complain.

Running 3870s in x-fire under Vista Ultimate 32bit.

13. roocoon

roocoon Active Member

Well, they still don't work with my Fujitsu laptop AMILO Xi1547 (with ATI x1800).

ATI's utility claims that this driver doesn't support my system.

Any idea why?
    I didn't have any problems up to v7.11
    With v7.12 and later I can't even start up the Windows desktop.
    Same results with the Omega versions.

Thanks.

14. poscs

poscs Guest

GPU:
    HD 6870 now R9 290
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/mobility-xp
    I haven' any idea for you. I searched around Fujitsu and ATI's site and didn't see anything..
    You can report feedback of the problem to ATI, and may be they'll fix it.
    http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=491&type=web

Or maybe contact Fujitsu and ask if they know whats up. But the last video drivers they put out on their site for AMILO Xi 1547 were in 2006.
    http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/com/support/downloads.html

Do you have the latest chip set driver and bios on that machine?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  15. riiaku

riiaku Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    hey dude i have the same exact problem, I have a 32" lcd tv with 2 x1900xts crossfire and doesnt matter which driver version i use i get a really bad flickering in any game that uses the half life 2 engine: cs source, halflife2, portal, etc... I know it has something to do with crossfire. I'm running software crossfire using ati tray tool.

16. riiaku

riiaku Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    are you sure about that cause my crossfire says its enabled when i disabled it.

17. enessel

enessel Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280
    Just going by my experience and what I've read:
    http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=31

Drivers and CrossFire mode selection

Which of these rendering modes to use is selected automatically by ATI's drivers using CATALYST A.I - ATI estimate that 99% of titles (in Direct3D at least) will make use of supertiling, with only a few special cases being switched to Scissor or AFR modes. OpenGL will most likely see AFR set as the default mode of operation. Unlike NVIDIA's profile-based system, CrossFire will be enabled for every title, new or old, by default, with no need for users to manually add in settings for new games or wait for new drivers - A big bonus for ATI's system over SLI. If a new game does show problems with CrossFire, then turning off CATALYST A.I. will revert the system to its single GPU rendering mode.

18. riiaku

riiaku Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480
    ok check it out, b4 i disabled it i checked my fps in cs source, and it was 116 avg with lots of stuff happening on screen, then i disabled catalyst and the flickering problem stopped, im still getting the same amount of fps 116 avg, my everest ultimate is also reporting crossfire enabled and so does ATT. So I think it works in crossfire with catalyst off. unless its always been running one card, but previously id only get like 75 fps avg with one card. so whats up? Highly recommend water cooling your radeon x1900xts, i have a cooler master aquagate duo viva and both cards barely hit 60 degrees C. With air cooling i was getting 90 and up. I noticed something, my cards are more stable, games dont crash anymore, and everything is more stable. Except some of the bugs i noticed in crossfire. I'm currently using 7.9's so im switching today to 8.1's.

19. darkshadow5k5

darkshadow5k5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte vega 56 OC
    i think the flickering is related to crossfire being dual screen compatible now (which rox)

20. sdack

sdack Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon X850XT AGP 256MB
    8.1 + hot-fix is working for me as far as I can tell. You need to install the driver first and then the hot-fix. The hot-fix is however as big as the driver, which can make you think you would not need the other. I would not worry too much if 3DMark is crashing. At least we have been given something and the problem will be gone soon. I believe in ATI again ...

EDIT:
    As far until it crashes ... The hot-fix for AGP cards does fix the DirectX diagnostic tests and allows to run some games (i.e. Gothic 3). Oblivion as well as Hellgate London however crash hard. The hardware freezes and one should better stay away from it for now.

Sven

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008