A stuck/dead pixel on my HDTV, should I return it?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Inspired, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    I got a Samsung 40" LNT4061F LCD HDTV few days ago. Pictures look amazing at native resolution. However, I noticed there is a dead/stuck pixel clost to the upper left corner of the screen. It is very noticeable when I look at it close up to the TV with a white background. It appears only with certain colored background like white, pink and gray etc... It is not noticeable even up close with blue or green background. What I also noticed is that it doesn't look like it's a full pixel, more like 70% of the pixel. Is there an explanation for this? I bought it online at Best buy, should I get an exchange anyway?

2. Birdo18

Birdo18 Member

GPU:
    Albatron 8800GT 512mb
    You will need to determine whether it is a dead pixel (black) or a bright pixel (normally one colour like green or red). It sounds like it might be missing one of the 3 colours so won't show if one of those 2 colours are being displayed.

I would suggest checking what the warrenty covers. For example it may cover 1 dead pixel or 3 bright pixels. Have a look on the Samsung website for factory warranty's and then see if best buy honer it.

3. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    I will probably contact Best buy directly because their policy states that I can exchange a product within 30 days of receiving it.

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I don't know how your being Canadian affects things in regards to taxes/customs but maybe this link could help things. I got my 65" 1080p DLP for over $600 less than Best Buy's price, not even including the savings on the facts of no taxes or delivery charges from this website. I paid $1730 period. I unequivocally vouch for this site. NEVER buy any electronics from those overpriced leeches like Best Buy or Circuit City.

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SAMLNT4061F

Here's what I'm talking about, a little Bioshock.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008

5. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    I got the TV for 1299.99 CDN during boxing week sale. It's close to that price you showed. I won't buy anything from Best buy or Circuit City unless it's on sale. Their stuff tend to be overpriced and I know that.

6. ToolJar_80

ToolJar_80 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1x2 SLI
    I would definitely return it. You must have 30 days to return it for whatever reason. If you pay that much for something, there should be zero defects.

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Smart man. :)

8. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    like ive said on another post.. there is a problem with these models. return it or keep it. i kept it.. and fixed the issue by massaging the pixel and running JScreenFix. hope it helps

9. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    I agree. Within 30 days, you can return your product (in good condition) for any reason (you can simply say you're unsatisfied), for a refund/exchange.