CPU Fan Issue

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by fenixrisingxl, Jan 14, 2008.

1. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    Okay, guys, I need some serious help.
    Purchased an AMD 6400+ AM2 chip to upgrade my CPU from my specs to the left. I also purchased a 550W Rosewill power supply, which installed no problem.
    When I went to plug in the cpu's fan, I noticed it was a four-wire plug, while my motherboard only had a three-wire outlet for the fan.
    It's booting fine (so far), but I'm worried my cpu could be in real trouble, as the fan may not be spinning as required (it spinning fine, but I'm not sure how fast it should be spinning for this chip).
    Should I even be able to boot with this chip if the fan isn't connecting to my motherboard properly?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, guys.
    I'm scared as heck right now.

2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Don't worry, if the fan is working and the RPMs are in the normal range (you can check it using Speedfan), all you lose is the CTRL pin which means the motherboard won't be able to control the fan's speed as temperature changes, so it should be running just at 100%.

3. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    Thanks for the quick response. I think the system's temperature might be a problem.
    Approximately, what should my temps be (if you have an idea)?
    These are the stats I've got going now:

Temp1: 38C
    Temp2: 41C
    Temp3: 25C
    Core: 42C

I've seen a couple of these jump to around 50C once since I started running SpeedFan five minutes ago.

How worried should I be about this?
    I'm really cooling-system dumb, if you haven't figured it out by now. Lol.

4. General Ritly

General Ritly Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980GTX 4Gb
    How is the 6400? Worth buying?

5. fenixrisingxl

fenixrisingxl Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 216
    Oh yeah. I upped from a 4200+, and can play UT3 pretty much silky smooth at 1440 x 900.
    If you're thinking of upgrading from your advertised specs, you should see a huge speed increase.
    By the way, I was able to find elsewhere AMD says the chip can get as hot as 55-63C, so I guess for now I don't have to worry too much. I just don't like idling at 30C, then jumping as high as 58C when I start up UT3, or C&C 3.
    Then again, I never used Speedfan when I was running the 4200+, so I have nothing to compare these temperatures to. Seeing as how I haven't seen any artifacting, blue screens, or shutdowns (knock on wood), maybe I can rest easy.