Consistent Issue in COD4 Across Systems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LifeForce, Jan 6, 2008.

1. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    I played the COD4 demo awhile back on my last system with 2GB of RAM, an 8800GTX, a creative sound card and an X6800 processor (core clock). It seemed to run ok, but the tearing was awful and when I turned on vsync, it was an awful mess.

The game maintained 60fps according to fraps AND its in game meter, but what I was actually seeing was what looked like slowdown, skipping and who knows what. I chalked it up to drivers or maybe my computer which I was having second thoughts about.

Now on my new rig, the problem with vsync enabled remains and the game is quite frankly ugly to play with vsync on or off. With it off its a B%$ch to aim and with it on its impossible to turn or maneuver smoothly.

But with that last word, I thought about something. I mapped the turn left and turn right keys to my keyboard and stopped using the mouse. For the most part, the problem went completely away. I unplugged my logitech mouse and inserted a Dell one, but it made no change. I also enabled smooth mouse, but some juddering/stuttering remained.

These were both Dell XPS systems with the latest drivers, what is going on here?

2. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Turn on mouse smoothing, and turn off vsync. if you have mouse smoothing off, you get this weird juddering effect when you turn, but its not tearing.

3. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Well, unfortunately that doesn't get rid of the excessive tearing I get. Aiming is a little better with vsync off, but really with vsync on, what I see is a VERY obvious issue and anyone would notice it near immediately. Why would I have it across two system with either different parts or different hardware? Would they release the game with broken vsync? I mean it happens even if I force it through the cp.

4. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I would suspect you have driver issues and system drivers not properly installed because for 99% of the rest of the world with 8x series cards we don't have that problem and plays great. Also noticed your running sli so I bet that has alot to do with it being you don't have the settings right and if fps is a prob then you need a better psu.

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Pics? If the tearing is so bad, you should be able to post screenies.

6. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I also have this issue. It is barely noticeable but it's there. It only happens when I move the mouse, the game is very smooth otherwise. Probably somekind of mouse smoothing or the lack of it is causing the problem. Didn't look into it as it didn't bothered me that much.

7. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    You guys are sure you have mouse smoothing on?

8. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Well this is going to be difficult to confirm/narrow down.

It seems I found a solution to my issue, though now it concerns me.

Having reinstalled my OS because of issues relating to my sound card, I reinstalled COD4 and found that it was running damn near perfect.

Oddly, I was getting odd chopping and slowdown in maps, so I turned on dual card mode in the COD4 options (even though sli wasn't enabled).

So I took it step by step, patched it, updated punkbuster.

The problem returned when I enabled SLI from the c-panel and reset my computer. With vsync on and ANY graphical configuration, the game skips when I pan around and/or look/aim with the mouse.

So simple solution is to either use no vsync (which doesn't APPEAR to have the issue) or run in single card mode.

But then I thought, wait. Aren't there a ton of people out there playing COD4 now in SLI that aren't complaining about this?

So I guess my question is, how do I make sure that my SLI card/bridge or setup isn't screwed?

Its either that, or another logical explanation being that many people sli or not, do not use vsync in most games and thats why mention of it hasn't been made?

So does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? And is there anyone here with an sli nvidia setup that can confirm or deny similar behavior with vsync on?

9. razorcanes

razorcanes New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS (G92)
    prior to Christmas - and the coming of my GTS - I was running two 7900 GS's in SLI and had absolutely no problems w/COD 4. I also never turned vsync on, so that might be your culprit.

edited to add - I've never enable vsync in any game I've ever played, either.

10. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Well thanks.

If I must, I will either use single card mode or simply not use vsync (I don't think SLI gives COD much of a gain anyway).

But I am wary of my SLI setup now because of this as it hasn't exactly worked wonders for me so far.

I am trying to see if anyone else can explain or reproduce my issue using vsync so I can rule my setup out.

I try to use vsync whenever possible because my monitor seems to be getting worse in the tearing department.