rivatuner being blocked on startup vista

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by kmufc77, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    hi guys rivatuner keeps being blocked on startup in the taskbar and i have to run the program manually everytime so the fan settings ive chosen boot up is there anyway to overcome this ive looked at W Defender startup options but cant seem any options to allow rivatuner to bootup on its own any ideas please would be much apprechiated

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You can help yourself using search function. UAC issue was discussed MANY times before. So don't be lazy, don't flood the forum with the same questions, and click magic Search button please.

3. Conquerz

Conquerz Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores
    Unwinder, I am one of those who uses search function before I post a question on a forum.... but dude, you need to stop repeating yourself to every question on the forum with the same words!

Whenever I search for something and I look at the results, all I see is you repeating "use the search function". If you keep saying that instead of answering people's questions, then how will people find the answers if they always end up with results telling them to "use the search function". You are creating loops back to your own answer "use the search function".

I agree that members shouldn't be lazy and should use the search function, but you also need to stop repeating yourself. No offence but I think it is kind of spamming on your part and waste of bandwidth.

I think that the best thing you can do is ignore the topics with repetitive questions and let someone else answer them who know the answers. And if no one answers them, people will find answers elsewhere. At least others who geniunely use the search function won't always end up with results telling them to use the search function! lol!

Anyways, the reason why I'm in this thread is because i was having problems starting RivaTuner from a non-admin account. (Yes I did read this thread and followed the instructions but it didn't help!)

... so I'm still looking for a solution that can start RivaTuner in a non-admin account with UAC switched on, and this was one of the topics in the search results. I have UAC switched off in my admin account and can run it whenever I want from there so that's not the problem.

Regards.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Dude, if you were really using search, you'd know that I no longer support this forum because amount of such postings reached critical limit.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=241522

I no longer discuss anything with newbies and "I used search but there is no answer" dudes have to help themselves.

5. Conquerz

Conquerz Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores
    I didn't know that because I'm still a newbie with 14 posts. I've only really started visiting this forum couple of days ago when I started using RivaTuner. So you can't expect me to know everything that goes on around here just because there is a "search function"! I use the search function for specific problems, not to read every post ever posted.

Thanks for the link. I read a few posts in that thread and it seemed like a nice discussion! That means that a lot of people are aware of the issue I've raised here. I hope you do something about it though. ;)

6. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  7. Darkfall

Darkfall Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTS OC 640MB
  8. mulnhd

mulnhd New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia/7900GS/256
    Found an 80% Solution

I have been lurking for almost a year in this group and have found some very informative information on how to tweak my video cards with Riva Tuner. It is my turn to give some useful information.

I have found most of the solution to have any program run without having the UAC being triggered and still have the UAC on to protect from unknown programs. Microsoft has a program called "Application Tool Box 5.1" that allows the computer user to apply different attibutes to an executable with a script that is installed at the command line one time (the script can be unloaded). It works and is actually somewhat intuative. I did not have to mess with the regestry or turn off the UAC for the program.

I have one issue though, I keep getting an error popup of not being able to find the sys file in the Riva Tuner directory. I did do a search and it seems that there is a security setting in the "advanced settings" to turn this off. I could only find 2 threads and they did not seem to help. I am appealing to the brain trust here to help.

9. Darkfall

Darkfall Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTS OC 640MB
    Where would I find the "Application Tool Box 5.1" to download, or is it a built in app/MS update??? Yes I've searched google and microsoft.com
    I'm still on XP, but I will be switching to Vista X64 soon.
    Thanks.

Edit: Found some info about UAC here: http://www.winvistaclub.com/f6.html

Edit: I've read a bit about using the full admin mode with Vista. I like the idea of having no UAC pop ups and everthing working without right click run as admin.
    Does anyone know if running as true built-in Administrator allows the use of unsigned drivers? Thanks.
    Update: Never mind ^, found http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=292

I also read on microsoft.com that using the admin account removes option to boot into safe mode. I think that is wrong, as I read elsewhere that safemode does indeed work when logged in as admin. hmmm?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  10. mulnhd

mulnhd New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia/7900GS/256
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008

11. Darkfall

Darkfall Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTS OC 640MB
  12. mulnhd

mulnhd New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia/7900GS/256
    Thanks for the welcome. The url scripting came from the "insert link button." Obviously it did not work.

On another note is there any thing I can do to not have the error come up? As I wrote before, it seems to be a setting in Riva Tuner somewhere. According to my searches (what little info there is on it) it seems to be an IO issue. I have not had time to try all of the settings in the power user tab.

13. Sean C

Sean C New Member

Do your self a favor and just turn off the UAC, Also when you install rivatuner right click on the setup program and choose "run as administrator".

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Only noobs disable UAC. Schedule RivaTuner component required for OC/FAN settings and give it admin rights. Don't forget to set it to start on log on.