virgin media 50mb net

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by damien666, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    That can't be right.
    Virgin bought out NTL.

Do you mean since NTL bought out Telewest?

2. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    yes my mistake NTL bought out telewest and are using the virgin name,have a look on cable forum its well know fact that virgin are ntl apparenlty as ntl have a bad name or something like that

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6343341.stm

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  3. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    NTL didn't have a bad name I think.

It is the biggest provider of cable services in the UK. They simply got subsumed under the behemoth that is Virgin Media, but effectively, I think, former NTL runs Virgin Media's broadband service, under Virgin's new "quality" guidelines (bunch of leech monkeys...)

4. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    what other companys provide cable broadband then???

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Never had a major problem with my 20mb cable line i have to say. i get a solid 2.4mb sec at any site that can provide it.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Telewest and NTL merged, then Virgin bought them both out when they were in massive debt.

7. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    There might be the odd small company in places like London but nation-wide it is only Virgin now.

8. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    thats is good for you but myself and lodds of other ppl are having major issues with cable broadband dowload rate being put down to over subscribed servers

9. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    lol so ntl will be the biggest cable provider then wont they if nobody else can provide it in the uk

10. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6700XT XFX SWFT 309
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6343341.stm

NTL bought mobile phone network Virgin Mobile last year, and fellow cable firm Telewest at the end of 2005. NTL are virgin with virgin being the brand name

11. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    Wow!

I thought it was the other way round. So was I accusing Richard Branson for nothing?

12. Howky

Howky Member

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 8600GTS Go
    Virgin Media Update

A Virgin Media spokesmen said There 50 Megabyte package will be implemented during February of this year with full availabilty nationwide by the end of summer 2008. The traffic Managment is in operation between the hours of 4pm-9pm in my area which means im capped to 1 meg during this time they say it distributes bandwidth more on your grid other wise im classed as a "Hogger". I am a hard core Downloader ( I think they been watching me for a while). It was geat when you wasnt limited but it had to come i suppose i get 450kps d/l on 4 meg around 100-150 kps u/l under normal conditions but goes bad when the managments kicked in not even 1 meg 75 kps d/l 7 kps u/l non existant. P.S 4 meg customers are being upgraded to 10 meg free of charge too

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  13. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    I was capped from day one too but I don't understand the term 'Hogger'.
    How can you be 'Hogger' if you're paying for an 'unlimited line'. That is exactly why you're paying all that money for, to hog it!

Essentially, what they're saying is: we want you to pay all that money for the service but we're going to penalise you for using it.

I can't wait to 'hog' the 50Mb line then.

14. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Bah, xDSL (x being the variations e.g.ADSL2+) is still the main player here, that is in the sense its laid by BT (Blithering T....) not a cable phone line.

Not sure why theyre going to do a 50mbit service, their infrastructure is very poor and this isnt going to help, also one thing that really gets to me is the crippling low upspeeds I mean 20mbit down and 700kbit is a little crappy imo.

15. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    It is piss poor that's what it is.

Very poor service all thanks to the government's appaling regulation of the industry.

16. aircool

GPU:
    Not just directly the governments fault, also look at the ips themselves and also the people paid to regulate it anyway, e.g. offcom recently has been a useless shower of, well you know what I mean.

17. Faiakes

Faiakes Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 4870
    But that's exactly what I meant.

the government ought to have slapped Offcom around a bit for not doing their job. they are both useless and have sold out.

18. Grimbal

Grimbal Member

GPU:
    8800gts 320mb
    Has anyone any ideas how is the 1 mb service at £4.50p a month?, im thinking about getting my own line just for internet gaming and abit of downloading here and there?

19. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    unlimited means they don't cut you off once you break a limit.

they slow everybody down in my area between ~5-9pm, I'm guessing because there isn't enough bandwidth to go around, hopefully this problem shouldn't exist when they put the new lines in.

20. aircool

GPU:
    Er, no offence but the 'lines' mean sod all. Theyre network simply isnt up to it. They need to upgrade their infrastructure rather than the lines from the green box on your kerb to your front door ;)