8800GT Sucks For Me

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ALilHope, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The reason I believe you're getting such inconsistant and low FPS (Which may end up getting worse, by that I mean you may end up doing damage to your computer on the whole) with your current rig is because your current PSU doesn't meet the requirements of the card. You need at the very least 22 amps on the 12v rail - your current PSU only supports 20. You should always strive for more than the bare minimum requirements, anyway - and yours is below.

2. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    this is what I use in all my systems
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371001

Perhaps you could O/C that chip some and see if it gets to a point that you would be happier with.

But, if you have the money, and dont want to fiddle around, a Q6600 is a great chip and future proof.

I'm a firm believer that it is far better to save them coins to get/build a more future proof rig, than to toss money into an older system.

Just my 2cents

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2

That PSU is also 80 bucks more - did you check his link? It's a swift and cheap way to solve his current problem - which is very much likely the PSU. Though the PSU can be swapped into a newer rig, I don't see why the CM wouldn't work in a Core2.

I'd personally get a better PSU myself - but we're not the ones with the issue. A core2 in the future might be wonderful, but there's no real problem with his rig right now. A decent PSU and GPU will keep him gaming for a good few months to come. He already has the GPU. It'd be better to O/c (as you said) and wait for a few months.

4. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    I said if he Upgrades!!!! The conversation if you read, has become one of a question that he may want to upgrade.

Anyways, I thought of this too, in case you didn't do it.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008

5. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT Superclocked Edition
    How will I know if the PSU I get is going to have enough "Amps?"

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Apologies, suffering random coughing fits as I browse so I may not have read fully.

Good ol' Dual Core Opti? May be his issue - still screaming PSU at me though. From the fact it's a 939 system I'm thinking he's had the system for awhile, and would have come across the issue before now. It's worth a try, however.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=161496

Good read to clue you in when it comes to PSU's and how/what you need with your computer.

7. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
  8. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    Just installed dual core optimizer, I see no difference at all.

9. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE

NP man....

10. GammaLord

GammaLord Active Member

GPU:
    2g gtx 760 gigabyte oc
    Id go with Darkest on this one ur psu is most likely the problem when i bought my 8800gt i was told id need atleast 26a on the 12v rail which was ok cause my psu has 31a on the 12v rail.
    when buyin a new psu most have there details on the box so just check before u buy , and wouldnt hurt to go a little over board with the psu better to have more power than u need than not enough and that way u can use it on ur next comp upgrade.

so go atleast 28a or more on the 12v and u should be sweet.

11. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

waaa

dude you should be pulling ateast 60 fps steady with that setup remember eye cant see above that.try getting a better psu and overclock the crap out of that cpu first.might just save yourself some money and you need a psu for
    future upgrades anyway ocz gamerxtream 700 watt is a great powersupply.

12. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    Yeah I even went down to 15 fps on CoD2.

13. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    His CPU is fine. In fact everything in his entire setup is fine except his maybe his PSU.

Your problem sounds like a software problem. Some sort of driver conflict or bad install. I get MUCH more than that on my system.

14. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
  15. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    Look at this BS!!!
    Makes me mad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's a nice PSU after rebate, mate. It's also a PSU which will work for you should you upgrade 6 months down the line, and probably even a year down the line. As someone stated before - there is no harm in getting a PSU with more power than you need (Par your Electricity bill! =p). Though as FlawleZ stated it "may" be an issue with your software - I'd suggest getting the PSU anyway. It remains below minimum specification. A new PSU and just to clear everything up a fresh install of your O/S ontop if the PSU alone doesn't help and I'm sure you'll be good to go.

If your issue keeps up after the new PSU let us know - hell.. when you do get that PSU let us know either way. We can give you some advice on oc'ing that 4200 you have to get even more out of your rig.

17. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    Sure thing!

18. TheWheelman

TheWheelman Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus96GT512 700/1800/1100
    Just overclock that there CPU of yours.
    You'll do fine.
    Also, what do you gots for memory?

19. ALilHope

ALilHope Member

GPU:
    Uhh look at the screenshots a few posts up

20. OugaBooga

OugaBooga New Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SLI'd
    hi,had to join once i saw this post cause i am not happy with the 8800gt's performance in helgate.
    i have similar specs
    Only difference is i run res @1680 & my cpu is a 4600+
    PSU is a coolermaster Real Power 550 RS-550-ACLY
    not sure if this PSU is enuff but i have a 2nd GT on the way with a Corsair TX750W 750W to power my sys.I think this should be enuff power.
    My previous card was a 1900xtx which i find not much worse then the 8800gt for alot of dx9 games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.