New Vista hotfix improves multi-GPU performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by stryfe2010, Dec 4, 2007.

1. stryfe2010

stryfe2010 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3060 12GB
    I found this over at The Tech Report.com. You can find the original article @ http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13730.

Gamers who run Windows Vista with SLI or CrossFire setups will be happy to know that Microsoft has released a hotfix just for them. The KB945149 hotfix resolves an issue that, in some cases, could cause systems with multiple graphics cards to "perform more poorly than expected" in both games and benchmarks. Microsoft describes the issue as such:

A graphics processing unit (GPU) or part of a GPU link may incur a small scheduling latency on a new Direct Memory Access (DMA) packet. This is true if the DMA packet is submitted to the GPU that has previously run out of work and if another GPU in the linked configuration is very busy. In some scenarios, significant starvation of one or more GPUs in the linked configuration reduces the expected performance of an application.

The hotfix may resolve the problem, but it isn't freely downloadable. Instead, users must visit https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;[LN];1414&from=KBHotfix&WS=hotfix

and submit a request to Microsoft's Online Customer Services. The company also warns, "if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix."

This patch follows the release of three previous Vista fixes intended to sort out various performance and stability issues. The first two came out in late August and addressed gaming problems specifically, while the third followed in early October and resolved more general issues with system stability and responsiveness.

I'm not currently running vista anymore nor sli, but I have seen quite a few post where users were noticing very poor sli performance in vista and just thought it might help.

2. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Yeah a new beta patch for SLI, w00t! I was using the KB936710 one which is available on nVidia website. I'll try this ^^
    Ty for the news.

3. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    Damn Gottha Wait 8hrs Lol

4. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    so who has tried that with crysis performance? lol

5. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
  6. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
  7. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    It really helps. Crysis runs much smoother with this hotfix installed.

8. Dj Base

Dj Base Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB
    @Evilfury

How can it run smoother when i don't see a SLI setup in your profile ?

9. xSLIX

xSLIX Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 WCSWIFTECH
    I Havent Noticed Anything Yet Probly Becuz I Havent Played Cod4 Or Any Games Yet.can Careless Bout Crysis Imo.

10. Waylander

Waylander Guest

just installed it, going to go and try it out now....

11. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    Well it some kinda smoother than before... :)

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ive installed it , but didnt see any increasement in the fps

13. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I wanted to say that although you won't notice any benchmark differences (I shouldn't say that - what I mean is that I didn't notice any increases or decreases in benchmarks that I ran) I did turn on the SLI indicator bar and ran Call of Duty 4 and what I realized was that where before the patch the SLI bar would not be near capacity on certain maps it was now being utilized after the patch.

Does that make sense?

Warmly,

- Marco

14. Duke754

Duke754 New Member

reupp please

15. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    I´ll try them with my gx2 :D

16. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    I heard about this, but is this something that is in the SP1 RC or will be? Or is this not planned to be in it at all.

I have SP1 right now and don't want to screw it up.

17. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    It does nothing ... only because if nothing is wrong in the first place then it doesnt do anything. It is only for people who having issues with sli on vista when gaming. I have it installed since the beta 169.28 were released ..... no difference at all.

18. Anuban

Anuban Member

GPU:
    2 eVGA 8800GTs 512 SC TT DuOrb Fans
    If you already have SP1 RC1 installed then this update does not apply to you ... it will give you a message saying that the update does not apply to the version you have. It means that the update is already rolled into the update.

19. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Ok. Well then I take it that if I installed the hotfix first before the SP1, it wouldn't matter either because it would just skip over or update the hotfix?