The Folding@Home Pub

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Crossfire, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    I don't think he stopped. But Asterx, mate, what are you folding with, lol? You're pushing out soooo many PPD....

2. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ 512Mb AGP
    lol - about a quazillion core 2 duo workstations and a dozen or so P4s that I fixed up out of a skip (my legion) + other assorted PCs, workstations & laptops :)

3. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Congratulations Asterx, you have overtaken double_cut !! :)

On Christmas Day too, LOL, what a cowinidence. ;)

4. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    lol - thank you, thank you, I couldn't have done it without a little help from my friends ;)

As your new king, I hereby declare that on this day a celebration should be held each year :) (he he)

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Oh how convenient ;)

Im going to start trialing twin clients of smp from now, should give a little more ppd, also got me a 3ghz p4 to fold for 12 hours a day which is nice :D

6. olobley

olobley Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640Mb
  7. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Ok, I have to say however much I didn't get that as an advert of chocolate, I *really* don't get it as a post in a folding forum...

Are you trying to tell me dc is as much a fake as a guy in a gorilla costume? Or that he's about as good at folding as Phil was at drumming? Or that he's as full of bird sh*t as cadbury's chocolate was (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5112470.stm - for my fans in the US) ?? :)

Just poking fun; I "sense a disturbance" too - he he ;)

BTW Olobley - are you the one technically responsible for the beasts?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. olobley

olobley Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640Mb
    hehe, it was the only way I could find the middle bit of the 'I can feel it coming in the night' without having to post a link to the whole song :)
    Turns out the Stanford system is a little...lazy when it comes to updating.

I merely advise DC on certain things folding related :)

9. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    Those babies are mine son, don't you worry about that. :D

Not that Olobley isn't a folding machine ofc...

“Always two there are, a master and an apprentice.”

10. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    lmao :)

So, is this (only!) phase I - IV active, or is there something extra spicy in the mix?

11. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    I'm confused. :confused:

12. aircool

GPU:
    So am I, so now im overclocking the p4 in its p4c800 e dlx and folding on it :D

190ppd at stock, um pwn.

13. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Hmm, double_cut seems to be attempting a comeback on Asterx...

Active processors (within 7 days) 21

...Possibly more on the way! :infinity:

Asterx:chainsaw:double_cut

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  14. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    [​IMG]

;)

15. DevilDude

DevilDude Member Guru

GPU:
    Thought you guys would like to know that we are currently the 49th (!) fastest folding team and that our daily output accounts for nearly 0.5% of the worlds total folding power :)

16. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Update

Wow, that's cool !!

Just for those of you who don't know, I was CrossFire and changed to XeonPower because of so many other people using CrossFire and I couldn't use just 'CrossFire' I had to have the [G3D] tag.

I'm folding full-speed again! Three systems total and I'm trying to get some others folding. ;)

Asterx, you gotta make a comeback on double_cut...Do something!

17. toast70

toast70 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX @ 800/2000/1160
    I have been a long time Guru reader. I have decided to join you guys folding.
    i have a few questions as im new to the project.

1) does the SMP client work well on 2 core machines? or am i better to run 2 instances of the software.
    2) Why on my AMD 4400X2 box it uses 50% split between the 2 cores, and on my e6600 it runs 1 core at 100% and doesnt use the other. i have the same client on both machines.
    3)do any of you game while it runs? like does it give you lag spikes in a cpu intensive game like crysis.

anyways im going to dedicate the 4400X2 machine to 24/7 folding as it is basically just my media center machine that i use to run my TV and such. and when im not gaming ill run some WU's on my main rig. any help with the above would be appreciated as i will be able to do more on my end if i know what im doing. i read the FAQ and its not clear to me, maybe im just a noob:banana:

im folding under the name toastr and i got 330 points first day dont know if thats good or bad, but thats only 1 core per 2 core machine. once i have all 4 going may be able to double that

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  18. Gaboou

Gaboou Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTXes ->> SM 275T
    Hey, welcome to the fold!
    To the first question- they run pretty well but you have to watch the deadline, as it is much shorter than with usual Clients. Means if you don't fold fast enough you won't get any points and your sent results will probably be useless. But in case of success SMP will yield much more points and contribute more to the cause.
    To answer your third question about gaming- I have recently found out that in Battlefield 2, on maps with a lot of players the lags I used to have were caused by the SMP client. :bang: So I have to turn it off in order to be able to enjoy the game to it's fullest potential... It's probably caused by a heavy memory use, for which BF2 is well known. I don't know how one or more casual Clients would behave though.

19. toast70

toast70 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GTX @ 800/2000/1160
    well i tried the SMP client on the machine that will fold 24/7 and it went from 50% cpu use split between the 2 cores to 35% and less cpu use while working. not sure why but seems maybe be better off setting up 1 instance per core as the FAQ states it runs better with 4 core machines.

also i played the relic SP level of crysis today while running a single instance of the regular graphical client and didnt really notice any lag.

just odd how each machine reacts differently to the software one running 1 core at 100%(e6600) and split load 50% each core on the 4400X2. both have same OS

20. aircool

GPU:
    Make sure it installed correctly, otherwise it will not work use all cores at 100%!

Just added my laptop to the mix, 500-1000ppd extra :D