what game to ask for xmas...picky gamer needs help here

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by F1refly, Dec 21, 2007.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    already have COD4/crysis/bioshock..most of the FPS games that i would enjoy anyway. havnt gotten into any other genre in quite a long time. i think UT3 is out cause i cant get into that shoot/die/spawn mindless twitch action stuff. but have been curious to what the single player story is like cause i searched online and no one speaks of it.i was hoping for similar to Unreal 1 or 2 and not tourny type action.

so anyway i'm having a family member get me a pc game as couldnt think of anything else and not exactly that sure that i would even play the game much at all as i rarely play what i have. got alot of games i barely touched collecting dust. hope i'm not the only one.
    part of the problem is the act of sitting at the computer itself, maybe i need a PSP or something, i might actually log more time into something portable if the game is good.

i'm also thinkn witcher...is gameplay similar to LOTR: two towers for ps2? cause i did enjoy that alot. i always liked hack n slash titles.
    tell me the cons and pros about it.

if thats a no go, i dunno what to ask for. i thought fsx expansion but i dont even play the the first, sim flying gets boring quick.

maybe i need to try to get into some other genre. i lost interest quick with World in conflict and usually hard for me to learn RTS games but they always SOUND fun. any RTS's that are very simplistic? commanding roman type armies sounds fun anwyay but must be simple.

2. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I would pick up The Witcher , I havn't played LOTR for the PS2 but there is now a demo available but its a huge download (2GB :S)

If you can imagine a cross between Jade Empire / Fable and Neverwinter Nights gameplay with the best plot I have seen in one of these western type RPGS. It's a mature game though if you're a sensitive soul then you should probably give it a miss.

If you do pick it up , don't panic the first hour or so is pretty much a standard game it really picks up after that though.

I honestly can't recommend this game enough out of all the releases since October it is the one I have invested the most time into playing.

Unreal III single player is just like the singleplayer from Unreal Tournaments of past they just try and wrap it up with the most convoluted crappy storyline.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    thanks, that was the exact info i was looking for quite a while

witcher might be it then if i dont decide on a PSP. think i need to do something off the computer for a while :)

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    company of heroes and the new expansion.

5. anwaypasible

anwaypasible Banned

GPU:
    evga / 7900 GTO / 512mb @ 676/1554
    if you havent experienced test drive unlimited on your computer.. i suggest you have a look

6. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I actually enjoyed the Single Player Campaign even though the story is crap they kinda tell it tongue in cheek too...

"it looks like a flag, it's waves like a flag... erm... it's a flag!"

To the OP, have you played STALKER? or Gears of War? Both great games.

7. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  8. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ jelle what's in those packs anyway?? Been so busy with other games that U3 has gone under my radar.

And for christmas the best game you can ask for, is one that involves your gf/wife, and lingerie :D Game on!

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The Witcher is a fabulous game which scales wonderfuly in regard to difficulty and playstyles for different users. It does however have its bugs, though those may be ironed out by patches. If you want a long lasting game with good content and stunning visuals; The Witcher is your man.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  10. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    The latest maps/mutators ( beta's and finals ).

There is already A LOT of extra content available. These packs are nothing compared to the actual amount of content.

11. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    I can't eaven play "the bitcher" with all the bugs. Menu's are ****ed up and can't eaven start a new game without the game crashing ( yes I have patch 1.2 ).

12. Herbert0100

Herbert0100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X 780ti 3gb
    I Have The Witcher , I installed it and played it for an hour, I would play the game but the voice acting and translation pisses me off, really ruins the experience for me

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    lot of differing opinions. either i need to suck up that 2gig demo or go with gut instinct.
    yeah i got stalker, test drive unlimited.

thats why i'm thinkn of either new genre or witcher but at the same time maybe i should quite playing pc games for a while.

i bought maybe 12-15 games this year and i play them 3 or 4 hours and they collect dust. so thats a problem there somewhere dont ya think?. i think its the act of sittin at the computer...too uncomfortable and solitude and tired of listen to g/f ***ch of how much time i'm on here or maybe i'm just getting too old and picky and no longer easily entertained

i've contemplated buying a Wii for a while but now i dont really want it. PSP is striking my interest at the moment but witcher does sound intriquing...i should just get the demo but 2 gigs? cripes

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That's a true shame, for the simple fact when you do finally get the game working, it's one hell of a gem to play. The bugs in it sort of remind me of VTM: Bloodlines. For the year it was my favourite release - simularly to Witcher. Sadly both were covered in bugs and took a damn long time to be sorted out.

15. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    It's not only a true shame for me, but for the majority of witcher players. Browse the unofficial support forums, amazing how many bugs there are in this game that wont allow users to install, boot, play or continue playing the game.

Honestly, the developpers of this game should get sued for releasing this product.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I personally find it hard to really "enjoy" a game - if that makes any sense? The Witcher I do - and I appreciate it has problems. A lot more than it should. Which is just absolutely silly, for the simple fact that the majority of the 'best games' released in the past few years (for me) have had similar issues. All we can do is wait it out and hope for patches.

17. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    Sorry, but this is the first game ever that just didn't work at all, not for a single second.

Yesterday there were 35 threads about SERIOUS game issues like:
    - Everything is in Slow-Mo
    - Random crashes during saving, and occasionaly during loading of cutscenes
    - character won't move, can't intreract with objects, etc after changing areas.
    - Not loading at the end of Chapter 1
    - Install Problems
    - after startup text on main menu and in game is constantly flashing, wiggin out

And you see the same problems over and over again, posted by different people, every single day. I have never seen a game that was so bugged that so many people couldn't eaven install or finish the first level!

I know a guy who had install problems, after a couple of installs he got it to work, then his game-menu's didn't work, then he had to play windowed in order to start a new game and then his game crashed after loading the first level!

Worst thing is, shops don't give your money back if you buy crap like this game.

I am not saying the Witcher is a bad game, I am actually pretty convinced that it is an awesome game, but there isn't a single gamer alive who can't admit that this game has to MANY, and to many CRITICAL bugs.

If I had the money, I would sue them, beleave me...

I shouldn't say it but I am going to, as a PC gamer, download this game from a warez website. The developpers already got more money then they deserved...
    They get enough money with the console sales anyways...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  18. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I really don't like The Witcher - the characters are completely lifeless, and the camera/UI could be much better.

Played STALKER?

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    For you it may just be, and I imagine that is a blow. The bugs and issues with games on the PC were one of the reasons I took such a long break from it in general, and prefered to use Consoles.

I've had many good hours and many bad with pc games. Witcher is one of the worst bug ridden titles I've ever come across. The same can be said, as I stated before, for VTM: Bloodlines, and perhaps even KOTOR for some ATI users back in the day.

That's how PC games go - not always, not specificaly. But it sadly can happen. The Witcher is a gem of a game waiting to happen, and if you can force yourself to play by the bugs it has (If you don't have them out of the arse like some unlucky individuals) it is a gem. It's just getting by that.

It's another case/scenario where you really shouldn't have to work so hard ot be screwed around so much simply to play the premise of a damn good game. It is common in the long term with PC titles. It always will be. I simply hope to god that The Witcher sorts the issues out. I've been forcing myself to play through the (thankful) few bugs I've personally been experiancing, and it is one of the best titles of the year.

I really hope you sort your issues out with it. If noto, maybe uninstall it and go back in a few month (which you shouldn't have to do, admittedly) and play through it properly, when it is hopefuily fixed.

20. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I don't think lack of emotional response to characters is a bug. Have you seen them? Prime example: after you go to see whatever the lady is called in her room before you leave, there is a long dialog where she is laying in the fetal position and not moving while your character is standing by the bed. Remember that, and tell me it's a great game.