New MOBO needed

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by miketovey, Dec 13, 2007.

1. miketovey

miketovey Member

GPU:
    8800 gt 650mhz OC :)
    I need a now motherboard as I am fed up with my ASUS P5kc not starting, but i am a bit lost at what to buy, I want one with good overclocking stabilty was looking at an ASUS formula maximus x38 one but i am bit worried about buying anither ASUS incase its kack again ?

Friend have told me to get evga 680 i but i am lost , what does everyone think ?

2. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    Welcome to the club, same here P5W, P5B, P5K all three same thing, started messing the vcore. These are 3 totally different setups. Diff PSUs-Mems-VGAs etc.
    A couple of months of use and all started ...non POST issues.
    Last month I switched to Gigabyte with P35DS3G, it fried one Dual channell Cellshock PC 8500 kit, RMA'd and now works.
    My P5W was switched to another cheepie Gigabyte the P31DS3L no issues but it's been only 3 days, so ...God only knows.
    I believe all this overclocking thing needs better quality HW materials and less enthusiasm to last. Surely no one expects to run a C2 6300 @ 3600 MHZ for 24/7 and get away Scott-free.

3. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    the evga is a solid choice but i would suggest waiting for them to release their 780i mb in a few weeks.you may want to take a look at the abit ip35pro as well.ive heard its a great stable ocer.

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I had the same problems with the P5W and P5K. I was thinking of switching, but the P5E seems to be a much better board.

5. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    I've noticed that all problems start when I try to switch from the 3:2(400mhz) to 5:4(333mhz), and back.
    Someone suggested to CLRCMOS -remove battery beforehand.
    I dunno it's been almost a week and my Gigabyte P31-DS3L is still working OK with FSB 333 -DRAM 1000 @ 2.4v although performance is inferior to the P5W one. Games are OK (same benchmark results) but in multitasking the ASUS excels.
    Maybe it's because this is a $60 mobo with a budget chipset.
    Otherwise for it's money the P31-DS3L is a very fast mobo, consumes 25Watts less juice and keeps lower temps. I kinda like it. If only it could last 6 months I'll upgrade to the new P45 chips -45nm Intels, when they come out of course.
    Greets!

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Gigabyte's latest range of p35 boards and x38 have been renound for their overclocking. They were designed with that in mind.

I went for the P35c-DS3R and, apart from a little problem i had which is now solved, its a sweet overclocker.

7. miketovey

miketovey Member

GPU:
    8800 gt 650mhz OC :)
    thanks very been looking into gigibyte they have had good reviews don't if i should an x38 or to see what the 780i will be like would be nice if my new board is ready for 1600mhz cpus hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

8. tibbar

tibbar Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x BFG 8800GTX 768MB SLI
    check out guru's review of the new 780i board, pretty neat stuff ^^

9. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    I say buy something cheap until February when the new chipsets will hit the market. Don't spend too much now, that's what I'm planning to do myself.
    Good luck!!

10. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    The XFX 780i board just hit my local store here in AKL about half an hour ago. Very tempted to go grab one.