PC games freezing after 20-40 minutes

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ReepeR, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ReepeR

ReepeR Active Member

GPU:
    HIS x1950 PRO PCI-E Turbo 256mb
    Okay,

I've just lived with this problem for the last month and today I want to get rid of it. When I'm playing newer games like Crysis,COD4 and the witcher after a while either the game gets stuck and then the monitor turns itself off. If I'm lucky I'm able to alt tab and go back into the game and it will be okay. But the most frequent thing is the game just freezes and alt-tabbing/ctrl+alt+del etc doesnt work resulting in hard reboot.

Today I've ruled out the memory,overheating,drivers,spyware/viruses everything you can think of yet It keeps on happening.

Really need help with this!

thanks!

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Sounds like something overheating.

Do you have anything overclocked?

3. ReepeR

ReepeR Active Member

GPU:
    Think I narrowed it down to the graphics card overheating?

Its one of the HIS Pro Turbo pre-overclocked ones. Was playing COD4 there and the temp of the graphics card was around 58-60 c. Doesnt sound good does it? Do I need to clean out the graphics card somehow to get dust and stuff out?

4. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    60 under load actually sounds OK to me.

What PSU do you have?

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I get crashes in cod4 too, I think there's something up with the game.

6. ReepeR

ReepeR Active Member

GPU:
    CZ ModStream 520w ATX2.2

7. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    More like not enough power...

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    that psu should be more than capable of supporting ur setup. Could it be a driver issue?

9. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    I tell you what, try this:

Open your case and play the games and see if the same happens. Also check your mobo temp with something like everest and make sure its not getting too high. Too high would be over 60 degrees.

10. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    60 is high for a CPU, but not that unusual for GPUs

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

12. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Master Guru

I like the case open idea too. If you have one handy, point a house fan into the side of the open case and see if your problem goes away.

13. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    anything under 75 C is pretty much fine for graphics cards. Almost all the new cards get this hot with the stock coolers. Could just be a conflict with the drivers or a corrupted file or something like that.

14. Monkey5900

Monkey5900 Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d X1800XT 256MB @ Stock
    flash mobo bios or reset to fail safe, or hit the cmos reset. should be in a list of the first things to try.

15. as10o5

as10o5 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6870 1GB
    Well, Cockneysean could right about the PSU. The x1950 is a very powerful GPU. It's very comparable with the HD 38XX series. One thing between the 38XX series and the X1950s is that the x1950 eats up a lot of power and heats up pretty quick. If your setup consist of running crossfire, it may very well be your lack of power coming from the PSU or just a temperature thing. Yet, it doesn't have to be your graphics card. It could be the amount of power it takes to dissipate a certain amount of heat. I wouldn't know. I'm sorry if this caused any confusion. It sound like I may not know what I'm talking about so please correct me if I'm wrong. Good Luck with everything. I know how it feels to be frustrated with something like this. Hope it goes well.

16. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    60 is NOT high for modern dual core cpu's. A intel Core 2 Duo xxx will sit at roughly that with the stock intel HSF.

17. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    I had to do this before I upgraded to my current case. The graphics card was making the inside of the case too much, and from what I could see from the temperature logging I was doing, it was the mobo temp that was getting way too high. I used a house fan...:infinity:

18. Monkey5900

Monkey5900 Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d X1800XT 256MB @ Stock
    if your core 2 duo is idle at 60c i'd be quite worried mate, 60c is very high for a CPU. Core 2 duos shouldnt be making much over 40c

19. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    I have this same problem going on right now, but it's only present in battlefield engine games. (battlefield 2 / 2142)

I've done almost everything to see whats wrong with no luck really, primes, memtests, stock clocks, drivers etc...

I got it running for 3 hours yesterday and then it crashed again, --> game starts jagging --> sound loops --> screen goes black and system freezes totally ( capslock or others wont work )

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

If your overclocking the memory, bring back to stock or lower. Also the sound looping freeze is very common with X-fi cards and the creative forums are full of this issue.