Wierdest XP Problem

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by IdentidY, Dec 16, 2007.

1. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    ok first off, i would see this as being in the right category on the forum to post this since it has to do with the OS but a virus (i think) is causing it..so i figured to put it in Operating Systems rather than in
    General Software and Applications
    ...i think they should make a section for posting Virus Problems.

So, [on this computer] i have Kapersky Anti-Virus, Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic, Ad-Aware 2007, XoftspySE Anti-Spyware for security. I just installed Avast! Anti-Virus and NoAD because the problem is displaying many pop-up's as well..

but the problem is that when you go to log-on to an account, it loads all the startup programs and desktop and everything..and as soon as it is finished...about 5 seconds later it starts reloading explorer.exe like every 6-7 seconds...? its really weird..i searched for spyware, adware, malware, viruses and everything and got rid of misc. spyware and 2 trojans and rebooted and didnt change anything...i looked in the Task Managers processes and looked for any unusual programs to terminate but none are unusual..i'm still able to access other programs like Firefox and IE7 but i just cant navigate thru explorer and stuff..

any ideas?

thanks so much

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Try running the scans in Safe Mode.

Also don't let both AV's run at the same time. It is OK to have more than one installed, but only allow one of them to perform realtime scanning; and disable the one that runs all the time if you are going to scan with the other.

3. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    ill do that..funny thing is also it does the same problem in safe mode as well..no problem just a nuisance

i havent ran Kapersky yet, for its only a trial...and i just tried loading it to run it and its not loading so..i only have one anti-virus..i was gonna try a trial of nod32 but its asking for like a username and password to download it..but yea ill try scanning in safe mode

EDIT: would hijackthis help anything or would that be for other cases?

4. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    I wouldnt have more than one AV installed at a time, thats just asking for it.

You dont even need that many spyware blockers/removers.....at some point, you are just severely overlapping.

I would try to track down specific bugs/trojans/viri that target explorer.exe and make it duplicate over and over...and then try to find remover tools for that specific thing.

AV programs will pass over lots of things very often, none of them are perfect.

5. FNK

FNK Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Nod32 work really good! (I bought it)

If nothing work try;
    ComboFix
    &
    SDfix

They kind of use Script before Winlogon load or sumthing. Anyhow it get rid of everything not know in the startup protocol or else. Im not a pro in that domain... well it worked 2 times for me!

6. Khr][st

Khr][st Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260
    Also try SpybotSD

I only use Spybot and Kaspersky 7, you don't need so many progs for security.

7. Tigga

Tigga Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800gts 320mb 621,1458,1800
    ????????

It does sound rather strange that explorer.exe appears to be stuck in a loop.
    It might not even be a virus, more of a problem maybe with XP. Could it be that explorer is encounting an error and restarting? Check the systems log files and see if any information is available regarding explorer.exe.
    You could disable all none MS Startup programs as well as all none ms services.
    Check the registry for any hidden startup processes.
    Also check explorer.exe dependencies and see if anything unusual appears there.
    Have you tried a system restore to an earlier point ?
    Did you recently install new software or drivers ?

Just a few things to help you along.

Tiggs luvs you all :banana: