Playstation 3 Vs 8800gts/g92 Quad Core Pc?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LEE1993, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoLeK

BoLeK Guest

we'll see how it's going to be :) anyway i'm not selling my PS3.
    PS3 has same limitations as Wii and XBox - closed system, if u have problem u have to find way to walk it around. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes easy. All depends from ppl who are trying to solve that problem.

u realy should use google and read about those CELL based networks and govermets servers :]

UnclePappi - MGS have A.I. too right ???? ohhhh sorry in MGS u can see only "stupid" dollies that don't react on anything
    in both links u point on problem with A.I. n/c

and don't call me liar coz i'm not

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
  2. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Yeah, I'm sure they are used by some companies, but in very limited numbers. My point is, the Cell is terrific for certain functions but that is what also hampers it. This is the reason why it is only used for very specific reasons, not as a general multi-purpose server chip. Does that make sense? Also, I was speaking more on a consumer level, where it is virtually non-existent outside of the PS3.

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Erm, not to be confrontational but what government servers? I googled a few times and had trouble finding any. I found lots of talk about using the processors for various things but little actual use.

4. BoLeK

BoLeK Guest

the most known is QS21

5. LEE1993

LEE1993 Member

GPU:
    INNO3D 8800GT OC
    Thanks for all your comments! Great response! I've just emailed my mate this thread so this should shut him up for a while!:)

6. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Like I stated before, the Cell isn't used much at all outside of the PS3. I took your suggestion about doing a search just to give you the benefit of the doubt. Guess what, it is just like I said before. Cell's usage is extremely minimal, and the majority of the time it is used, it's in conjunction with traditional processors. Furthermore, it's most prolific usage being as I mentioned before, specific tasks. Which returns to my point about it being terrific at specific operations, just not as great as a multi-purpose processor. In addition, even the few companies/organizations that are using them state that the biggest problem is developing software to work on them. So I guess the game developers aren't the only ones complaining. Bottom line; the Cell can do some things extremely well, but the price for that benefit is difficult usage and longer development time. I'm just not convinced it's worth it, but who the Hell am I? :p

7. hitman1303

hitman1303 Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 3 gig dead!
    PS3 is releasing a Keyboard and Mouse and soon wil be able to browse the internet more. PS3 is going more more PC, i say by PS4 should be pretty much like a PC in every way.

8. hitman1303

hitman1303 Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 3 gig dead!

SO True man, also the fact that Sony is the one behind Blue Ray and is tryn so hard to convince people to switch to 1080P with blue ray, which is crazy, HD dvd is more so Microsoft's way, im not sure totally who made HD DVD but its the easier one of the 2. If somehow PC guys could make video cards cheaper and give anyone a fast pc for miminal cost like consoles do, then more ppl would go back to PC.

9. XeonX2

XeonX2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    wish the 9x00 high end series will cost 199$ then everyone can buy one and play crysis at max with full aa/af at 1920x1200 -.-

10. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    I am not even going to bother argue here. But I had a choice to upgrade pc (which would cost $700+) or buy a console and have pretty damn close graphics to high end pc and no worries about lag, crashing or any other bull**** AND spend have the cash.

11. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Ooops, hit wrong key.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  12. hitman1303

hitman1303 Member Guru

GPU:
    7950 3 gig dead!
    Yup, see consoles sell them for nothing and make profit on console titles.

13. dec1211

dec1211 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 320mb
    1. I read an article somewhere saying that nVidia has implemented elements of the 8 series into the RSX, can't find the article but I definitely read it.
    2. Crysis devs said that are thinking about releasing Crysis on PS3 later on as they did with FarCry, no technical limitations.
    3. Look at the impact PS3's have had on F@H?

14. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Yup I totally agree on graph saying about the pc will always look better, yuppers thats a given fact. lol I cant stand no aa or very little af or no af or the mipmap lod bios is more on the +(meaning further the distance, stuff will decay as you look at the distance, then coming closer it will make things look alot cleaner, different from af-a good example on this is that basketball game for the ps3 when it first came out. Look at the crowd in the background and pay good attention, its very noticable if you pay attn to it.) on the console games. I mean I dont mind playing them it just wont look nearly as clean. Shoot I switched back and forth on lost planet from pc to x360 and x360 just looks almost as good but not quite. Less shimmering on the fences,etc. on the pc. The cell processer is making up alot for the ps3. If I remembered correctly the ps3 with that folding at home program, it can take just months where the fastest pc in the world would take forever. I already knew the cell processer is a very powerful cpu that shouldnt be under estimated. some say its not built for games lol. I saw one time on the net a running demo strictly running through the cell and nothing but the cell, if thoses demos are real then its very amazing. Its the one with the tornado with millions of leaves. IF I find the video I post link. IF sony was smart right now they would put 2 9800GTX and the cell processor in the ps3, also increase the texture ram to 1gb+ and system 2gb. Now we have a complete insane console gaming machine. That would be sick, can you imagine making a game just for this unit with this equipment and nothing but this equipment WOW. PS3 should have waited a bit more. but thats just me.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  15. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I can say this when I walk into a store and see a ps3 or a xbox 360 hooked up with hi def 1080 or whatever compared to my system in sig with a 24 in monitor 1920x1200 it looks like dog **** lol

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    That motorstorm looks prettie good when I first saw it. yeah I guess its all about texture quality,etc now. Back then it was all about gameplay back on the nes,snes,genesis. Thoses are my favorites and nothing will replace them why cause they had the games, classic games :) but I can play either. :).

17. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    If you think uncharted,cod4,gt5 look like dog ****, you really need your eyes tested,lol.

bugbear, that part about 2 9800gtx, your thinking of the ps4, Thats gonna be a beast,lol.

Hey, we all love our pc's, although they tend to piss us off when something goes wrong.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new games coming in 2008 for ps3.

I mean look at motorstorm, uses hardly any spu % like 15%.

Just think it'll be interesting.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I just hope to god MGS4 will use Anti-aliasing. When I saw gran turismo 5 on the ps3 on one of the demo stand I said prettie impressive for a home console but add some AA and it will look even more outstanding. come on home console put some AA and AF in theses games would ya. Jeezus christ ol'mighty god. It would look even alot more impressive with them turned on. This is prob one of the biggest thing I like about pc over console is the overall image quality is drastically better on the pc due to very lack of aa and af on home console. Come on, the power of the ps3 or the x360 should do it very easily or so they say LOL.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  19. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    yea no aa can be annoying, but if u have big enough screen to sit far away, you can't really tell.

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Oh belive me I can tell :) I look prettie hard LOL. Very heavy into IQ(image quality).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.