dabs.com sold me a dead card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Paulus, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    dabs.com sold me a dead 7900..

So, I finally thought I should check out some of the latest games-- but having a 7300gt wasn't going facilitate a pleasant gaming experience. So I started hunting around the net for a cheap upgrade.

Thought about going Dx10, but decided what with another gen of cards seemingly around the corner I'd go for a cheapy 7 series.

I found an XFX 7900GS for £62.14 which I thought was a bargin on Dabs.com.

I noticed it was "used" but in good working order... so I didn't hesitate to place my order.

Card arrived today- put it into the slot, connected power and powered up the beast.

Well.. it didn't work- no display, a long beep.

Tried it in my dads NF4 and didn't work either. Tried with and without pci-e power, but no luck- no post :(

Took the card out and noticed the back of the card:
    [​IMG]

Notice the arrows stuck on there. I had a feeling someone might have tried to voltmod the card.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the picture quality- but you might be able to make out some dodgey soldering where the arrows are facing- to me what looks like a typical volt mod... bypassing a resistor with some solder.
    [​IMG]
    and the bottom...
    [​IMG]

I'm actually feeling pretty angry- I was slightly excited ahead of the cards delivery... but it really felt like sloppy seconds. Someones obviously used and abused this card.

Emailing tech support soon. Lets see what their customer service is like- they don't have any others in stock. It'l be interesting to see what they suggest.
    :infinity:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    Don't tell them you think it has been volt modded , just say it was dead on arrival.

They may try and pin the modification on you.

3. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    true.... but in some ways it makes it more serious if it has been.

It even came with stuck on arrows indicating where the mod had been made. I'm not sure what to say to them.. it's so frustrating because they don't have any others in stock.

Dammed if i'm going 8600 for more cash

nice pun btw ;)

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Well that sux. At first I was going to agree with DrSin :devil:, but I think honesty :angel: will be your best policy in this case. So if you don't tell them about it, they WILL probably try to blame you for the modification of the card because the next employee won't be as lazy as the one who handled checking the card when it was returned previously. It's good you took pictures of the card as well. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007

5. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    That's complete bull**** with their lack of care. They should have tested the card before placing it up for sale.

6. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    I think I'd tell them. If I am not completely mistaken they will have to proof that you were the one that volt modded this card. And since you didn't they ccannot proof. And then they sold you a dead card and have to replace it. If they have no other in stock they have to give you the next better card they have in stock for the price of the card you bought and that was dead on arrival. That's my opinion at least.

Good luck mate! :thumbup:

7. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I know this suck and it shows there lack of costomer care, but buying some thing thats used is just bad.
    there is normaly a reason why some one did not want it any more.

But i agree i would tell them about the voltmod.

8. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    thanks for the advice. I'll mention that the card appears to be tampered and has suspicious "arrows" on the back (which is pretty f**kin bad) pointing to soldering.

I think i'll point them to this thread- i'm sure they don't want to be given a bad name on a quality hardware site! (ass kissing there :)).

I agree with MAD-OGRE, I did wonder myself who would return the card- unless it was damaged.

I think they get the returns then RMA them + sell on the returned RMA.

Prolly just forgot to actually RMA it :bang:

9. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Its kinda like buying a used sports car, you kinda know they raged it out.
    But every now and then you find a great deal.

10. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    That is some weak **** right there... I will remember never to order from this place. If someone is going to sell a used card, the company taking it in should check it before giving the previous owner money. If employees seriously are so careless that they miss solder marks and arrows on the back of the card, then they are some of the most worthless sons of bitches I can imagine.

11. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Best and simple way to RMA somthing. Just do what they say in order to try and fix it, and act like your doing it until they say you can have a new one. All they need to know is its not working.

12. chfields

chfields Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 1GB SC
    You don't tug on Superman's cape, You don't spit into the wind, You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don't buy used electronics....

13. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    This is what Dabs had to say:

so I should pay for postage or waste time contacting xfx?

I don't think so!

your thoughts...

14. Paulus

Paulus Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    Okay.. I just had an interesting "web chat" with their support team:

I guess that's all I was asking for really- I was ready to take this to small claims.

I found a brand new 7900GTX for £90 online- so i've ordered that. Faster and quiter apparently, so I guess i'm satisfied with the result now!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007