HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My brand new MSI NX8800GT doesn't Boot up!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ghost629, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ghost629

ghost629 Member

Ok guys, i just bought an msi nx8800gt. the monitor doesnt receive a signal from it. the fan and everything comes on nice and loud, and then i wait a while and i hear the windows sound. im running vista and im using a pt890t-a mother board. i waited a week for this card and once it came and didnt work i was so pissed off!!! :bang: anyone know what i can do? if anyone can stick around for a while and help my msn is hady629@hotmail.com

2. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    6pin pcie connection plugged in?
    List you psu-specs

3. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Reseat the card and make sure you have the power supply connected to the card. I know I have made this mistake a couple times in my life changeing cards getting excited and forgot to plug the power connection to the card :)

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Please answer the others questions so we can rule out your power supply and connectivity issues as being your problem. The rest of your specs would also be helpful. Do you have another computer to throw the card in for testing, or a friends machine perhaps?

You may also want to update your motherboard to the latest BIOS, just in case your motherboard is having a problem reading the 8800GT's PCI-E 2.0 Vid-BIOS. I see your ECS motherboard uses the VIA PT890 Chipset. There is a known issue with motherboards, most notably Asrock that use the VIA PT880 Chipset for the Northbridge. Both the PT880 and PT890 also use the same Southbridge. If all else fails, this could possibly be the issue. Just a shot in the dark though on this one.....

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...etailid=692&DetailName=Bios&MenuID=44&LanID=0

When all is said and done you may just have a DOA Card, hopefully not. As I mentioned previously, trying the card in a different computer would tell a lot.

5. ghost629

ghost629 Member

well the power supply is definetely connected to the card as the fan is spinning. and the psu specs are right from the side of the psu:

VOLTAGE| CURRENT FREQUENCY
    115/230V~| 12/6A 60/50hz
    _________________________ _______________
    |vdc INPUT~| 3.3V|+5V|+12v| |-12V|-5V|+5VSB|
    ______________________________ |1.0A|0.5A|2.A|
    |vdc MAX OUTPUT~| 32A| 50A| 24A|

lol that took my a while but yeah thats everything on the side of the psu

6. ghost629

ghost629 Member

oh yes of course.
    i have a decent system

ECS PT890T-A MOTHERBOARD
    XFX 8600 GT XXX (for now)
    600WATT PSU
    INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13 GHZ
    2GB OCZ PLATINUM REV.2 RAM PC2 6400 DDR2
    80GB HARD DRIVE

7. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    I am not sure of this, but if your card is DoA, I don't think the system will even boot at all.

I once had a dead video card because of overheat, my system just won't go past the POST part.

You say you can hear the windows sound, that probably means your video card has passed the POST part and your system is able to detect your card, but there might be an problem in the displaying part of your card. Make sure your monitor is working properly.

8. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    What's the make and model# of your power supply. It appears you have a 24a +12v rail, this may not be enough depending on the quality of your power supply.

Also as I asked before, do you have access to another PC to put the card in?

9. ghost629

ghost629 Member

i might be able to use my friend's computer, but im not sure. but like i said, i used an 8600 gt so my monitor is working fine, plus im using it right now so yeah lol

10. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    Try your new card on a different PC see if it works. If not, I guess something is wrong with the card.

And your power supply seems to be a little bit insufficient for the card, especially that amperage on 12V rail. It needs to be at least 30A minimum for a fully configured system.

11. ghost629

ghost629 Member

okia psu

12. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    hi.
    i had the same problem when i buy my 8800gt. i updated my motherboard bios with 8800gt support and everething is fine by now ! :)
    try this . update the bios of your mobo.

13. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I can't really explain it but some times they seem to just toy with you, lol. I have seen it happen many times, you just can't get a signal and start turning the monitor on manually. So nothing happens and then you power the monitor on by pressing the button in front and see the no signal message LCD or the CRT blinking funkyness. It seems like the trick is to get the PC to power the monitor on but it will not always happen. All i can say is persist and try it different ways (e.g. with the PC powered on, power on the monitor, now power off the PC and then back on. Try using the reset button in conjunction with the variation i mentioned i.e. the monitor on/off (the button in front).

I know it sounds strange but i just change card myself and it happen to me as well, at first it did not want to power on the monitor.

14. ghost629

ghost629 Member

i looked into updating my BIOS, but the site says not to update the bios if the description of the update doesnt match my issue. ive dug throught google about all pt890ta 8800gt related things, but to no avail. i really appreciate any and all help you guys. thanks. i just cant really think of a problem as to why this thing wont work. ive tried everything:bang:. including that power on power off thing i tried that when i got it lol. i just need to make sure for a fact that its DOA before RMA'ing it.

15. ghost629

ghost629 Member

is it possible to mess up the bios when updating it? lol im scared i dont wanna mess up my comp you know?

16. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    there is small chance to mess things up if u do the right steps. try the bios and then we ll see. plz try that :) be cool

17. ghost629

ghost629 Member

ur gonna laugh...but i dont have a floppy disk drive,:banana: and i need that to do the bios update

18. ghost629

ghost629 Member

:wanker:well guys heres the plan. im thoroughly convinced that this card's DOA, so im gonna RMA it. im just pissed that when i first ordered it and read the reviews i was like......:eek2: ill post a new thread once the new card comes and ill let u guys know how it works. wish me luck

19. Zarul

Zarul Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB@661core
    wish u luck

20. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Its not a total loss sending it back..perhaps then you will get the one with the newer coolers on it.... The thing now is so damn loud......

Mine just may have an unfortunate accident...:)