Updating forcewares in Vista.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by misavis, Dec 3, 2007.

1. misavis

misavis New Member

Do i have to uninstall older forceware before installing new one when using Windows Vista?
    I know that uninstalling old display drivers is usually recommended in Win XP, but is it so in Win Vista, or is it more advanced and user friendly operating system when it comes to driver updatings?
    (My video card is GF 8800 GTS).

2. ZeroOne

ZeroOne Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX275 869MB DDR 3

Yes U need first uninstall your current Driver in the controlpanel device manager.

Then u need to go to startup in savemode and use driversweeper or Driverhaven Heaven cleaner (the best) then choose your card and clean the remaning driver data.

Restart in normal mode and you can install your driver.

Greetz

0000 0001

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT KO 512MB
    I know for a fact that you don't have to uninstall your old ones first. I know this because I've been through 3 sets of Forceware drivers, and I never uninstalled the previous when upgrading to the next, and I've never had any issues.
    If you're having problems, or speed issues, then I would recommend doing a clean sweep first. However, uninstalling (in my experience) just adds one more (often needless) step. Your mileage may vary...

4. Silent Shark

Silent Shark Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT
    I don't uninstall my previous drivers anymore, and have had no problems at all. I get quite a few when trying to clear the old ones out using a sweeper.

After I install over the previous drivers, I use the System Information option in the nVidia Control Panel to see what versions all the driver components are, to make sure the update was successful.

5. Demon_82

Demon_82 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX770 2GB
    I've never had an issue, and I never unisntalled drivers before updating, until Vista arrived. At least in my PC, the Forceware installer uninstalls itself the previous driver before to install the newer.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Me too, I never uninstall old drivers and I never get problems either... well mostly ;).

7. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Me tree and Greetz !

8. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    There are cases where you are better off, just upgrading, instead of total uninstall.
    Temperamental chipsets, (does any one remember the AGP9x ATI 9700 Pro on ASUS mobos?), need an WHQL driver install first and then upgrade to any beta driver later.
    I always keep an WHQL driver as my base, especially when there are VIVO codecs involved on my card.
    Now this is OK for beta upgrades. If I want a new WHQL driver installed, I do a full uninstall, using the above mentioned tools.
    That's what I've been doing for years now and I have never had any serious issues.