Radeon X1950 Overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sticks999, Dec 2, 2007.

1. sticks999

sticks999 New Member

I have a Radeon X1950 card in my Dell Dimension 9150. When I bought the computer I upgraded the graphics card from what came standard with it to the Radeon X1950. On all new games (UT 2004, The Witcher, Bioshock) I am getting a message about five minutes into the game saying that my graphics card is overheating and it says it will automatically scale back the clock speed to cool it.
    Question 1: Should I be doing something about the cooling inside my computer? Such as adding more or new fans to the computer or are there any other suggestions?
    Question 2: Is the card automatically adjusting itself enough? or if I keep playing may there be problems?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Well, what temperatures is the card reporting?

Use a tool like, rivatuner (available from here).

Or even from the catalyst control centre (drivers/cp).

You could add more fans, but we need this info first really.

3. sticks999

sticks999 New Member

The card... when I checked while playing the Witcher it was at 94 (but this was probably after it had automatically scaled back the clock speed). When I play something like WoW it is around 80 to 84.

4. Nymphetamine876

Nymphetamine876 Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870's
    you can download rivatuner and up the fan speed on your card. what kind of cooler does your dell have?

5. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    which 1950 you have? I'm pretty sure 1950's fan will spin according to temp. I don't think it will overheat unless your case flow is really bad. I suggest you to add PCI slot blower and case fans.

6. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    Do the following (in this order)

1: Open the side of your pc and check that your gfx card fan is spinning properly. Then run something 3d and see if it spins faster (it should, and make more noise).

2: Clean the fan for dust (use can of compressed air) or brushes.

3: Make sure you have atleast 1 80mm exhaust fans in your case.

If the above still doesnt work, you can try adding a side fan blowing cool air on gfx card or install a custom cooler on x1950 (Accelero x2 recommended).

7. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    About your question 2: 94C is very dangerous for x1950 series of cards and certainly you should be worried about it.

I honestly think there is some problem with the fan, too much dust or faulty fan. Temps should never go above 80C.

8. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    The inside of your Dell wouldn't happen to look something like this,

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1001143tk1.jpg

would it? If so good luck ever keeping the card cool as all it does is suck in any and all dust that passes through the cpu heatsink. Speaking of dust, when was the last time you opened up the case and cleaned out the dust?

9. Volum

Volum New Member

Hmm, i don't want to make a new topic but my x1950 got a broken vent. So, i wanted to buy VF700-CU. But does it fit?

10. Bombero

Bombero Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire x1950 Pro AGP 512 Zalman OC
    I have the x1950 pro agp 512, and I just ordered the zalman VF-900 Cu, its the new one with a heatpipe for these cards, it should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know when I get it on....I used the VF-700 on my GeForce 6800 and was flawless...

11. Bombero

Bombero Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire x1950 Pro AGP 512 Zalman OC
    OK, got my Zalman VF900-Cu LED "new" for 25 bucks.......but it was missing 4 ram sinks, and I had already taken off the factory heatsink and fan......what a pain it was...so now I have to order 4 more sinks and a "heat spreader" for some other "micro componants" on the board to make it work....I like the zalman but ****!....could they do some homework also?

anyway, I will let you know when I get this ****ing ATI card running at full speed.............

I miss my Nvidia real bad right now...! (trying to have faith)

12. retiredat44

retiredat44 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080-ti
    well, what happened? I want to know because I am getting ready soon, to try to fix overheating on my HIS Radeon X1950 Pro Turbo...

I get corruption at/above 160 degrees F on my video card..