Freedom of Speech!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Hi,

I noticed that some threads get closed when the powers that be decide that they are getting 'offensive'! What does offensive mean? What is offensive to one person is another persons normal behaviour and acceptable. Now, apart from the fact that this is a forum ostensibly about topics other than religion, politics or topical issues, who decides what can and can't be posted and how is our right to freedom of speech protected?

I appreciate the forum will have its own rules about posting and I don't intend to upset the admins or challenge the present regime. I have no gripe on how this forum is run. Now, consider this thought....When we start down the path of censorship when and where is the time to stop decided? "Once we start down this path, forever will it control our destinies", to quote the little green fellow!

In the UK my right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion is protected by Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights. The equivalent rights are to be found in most 'civilised' nations constitutions. The American constitution is perhaps the most well known.

So who then has the right to censor my views, even if they maybe offensive to others? Forget laws on racism or inciting racial or religous hatred for a moment! Thoughts please folks...are we to heavily censored by our peers and our equals? Are we heading in to an Orwellian nightmare where everyone is afraid to speak their minds and challenge the 'Politically correct'

Is this present attitude of 'tolerance' eroding the cultural identities of our great nations?

Before this becomes a rant....I'll stop, but I would appreciate your views, even if they are 'offensive' lol :nerd:

2. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Your access to this site is a privelage, not a 'right' ...

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    It could be considered that I suppose! I think my access to this site is an agreement by me to abide by the rules of the forum, nothing more, nothing less!

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Oh and I think you missed the point of the post!:)

5. arnie

arnie Guest

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    Go into a private gentleman's club and call one of the dancers a whore. You would get thrown out, I bet. It is not against the law to call a woman a whore, maybe it is not very pleasant, but it is quite legal. When you go into that club, however, you are entering private property and consenting to follow any rules laid down by the owner of the club, as long as they do not contradict the law. In this respect, G3D is a bit like a private gentleman's club (without the breasts and erotic dancing, sadly), and you just have to accept that the powers that be have the discretion to do whatever they wish, as long as it doesn't break the law. After all, if you don't like a certain dancer at a private gentleman's club, you are more than able to leave..

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Again, the point is missed! Come on guys dance with me here! Intellectually speaking of course! I'm not questioning the rules here, I asking everyone to question the right of others (in any situation) to stifle our rights to freedom of expression!

7. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Well, even if you're right, what are you gonna do about it? Not much you can do. Besides if this was your site, what would you censor? Even you would have your boundaries on what you would consider acceptable forum behavior. The thing is mods and admins have their own views, some of which people don't necessarily agree with.

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Umm! I don't know, I would censor posts which contravene the law, I would wish to avoid prosecution...I would censor NOTHING ELSE!

Freedom of speech is a privilege, a right, a thing to be treasured and protected at all costs, in my opinion.

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    For a guy that started a semi-intelligent thread about freedom of speech you probably should already have noticed that we close threads that:

A) have no point
    B) can cause flaiming/trolling
    C) are not on-topic

In this case, option A applies. Don't ruin our perfectly fine and sexy new database server with pointless spam posts.

Thank you.

Someone just said this about me!!!!

Semi-intelligent indeed....lol.

The post was closed before I could reply. The post illustrates a point and is not pointless. I opened a thread where anyone could express themselves however they wanted and it was stopped faster than you can say 'censorship'!

Sorry for contravening the rules, it will not happen again lol

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thread closed,

The next action I will take will be a full site-wide ban. How's that for censorship ? Stop behaving like an ass.

We've seen this like a thousand times already. Grow up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.