Sata and AHCI

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ninelives, Nov 30, 2007.

1. ninelives

ninelives Guest

hi guys,

I just bought a gigabyte motherboard and there is one option to enable raid and ahci.

Question :

1: do i need to enable AHCI so that I can benefit from SATA? because the document say if I dont enable AHCI, my sata drive will be running a pata?

Thanks.

2. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    I use AHCI ... there are indeed minor improvements in read/write speeds compared to normal SATA ... but nothing comparable to RAID-0 setups .

Also , if u don't use AHCI , why would u'r Hdd be working under PATA ??? never saw that happen on my mobo ..

3. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    more info on this topic would be awesome. i never really understood those things to well..the AHCI part that is!

4. BlueStinger

BlueStinger Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon X1950XT 256mb
    All AHCI does is add SATA features like native command queuing and hot swopping capabilities.
    NCQ is great for server apps that use alot of simultaneous read/write requests but it CAN slow down apps that use sequential reads/writes and this includes Games.

It's always been a hotly debated subject and you'll find lots of info on the good and bad points of both AHCI and IDE by doing a quick google. But in my experience, real world performance differences are negligible.

5. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    ^^ so wat would u recommend?

6. BlueStinger

BlueStinger Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon X1950XT 256mb

Well seeing as i'm not you and i have no idea whatsoever what you use your pc for i recommend you go look for yourself on google, it's not hard.