8800GT Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by afroTAG, Nov 27, 2007.

1. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    I recently bought myself a new Club3D 8800GT. So, basically, the card itself is great. But there are some problems. First of all, I fixed the fan issue, that the fan was running at 29%. Now, the problem I'm having is that with games like Crysis, Call of Duty 4, NFS ProStreet and some other newer games I crash after around 30min. This time varies. Sometimes I can play Crysis for 2h, and then CoD4 for 10min. The PC itself doesn't restart, nor do I get the BSOD. Rather, I get a stuck image and a looping sound. There are no artifacts on the screen, just a stuck image of the last frame I was able to play in the game. There are some topics on the internet about this, but nothing that helps me fix this. My PSU is only 400W, but that should suffice according to the GPU box. I have run the games with the case open and closed, no big difference. I've heard of some BIOS fix for the card, but those are probably just rumors. So, any help with fixing this?

Just if anyone knows, is there a way to fix the system fan power slot? I bought a Zalmantech ZM-F2 (92mm x 92mm) case fan, placed it on my case, and connected it to the system fan slot. Though it didn't start. I tried to connect it to the cpu fan slot, and it worked. If anyone knows a way to fix it, just tell me.

My PC Specs :
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz
    GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3
    2x 1GB A-Data 800MHz DDR2-SDRAM, 2x 512MB DDR2-SDRAM
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    400W PSU

2. vFiReStOrMv

vFiReStOrMv Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb
    Could be a heat issue. Have you monitored the temps at load with Rivatuner?
    If so what are your load temps? If not then download RT and see what they are.

quote:
    "Just if anyone knows, is there a way to fix the system fan power slot? I bought a Zalmantech ZM-F2 (92mm x 92mm) case fan, placed it on my case, and connected it to the system fan slot. Though it didn't start. I tried to connect it to the cpu fan slot, and it worked. If anyone knows a way to fix it, just tell me."

Does that motherboard only have those 2 fan headers?

3. Killabee1

Killabee1 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB
    I believe your PSU can't keep up with the task. 450W recommended for 8800GT. Once I OC-d my 8800GT too much and had the same effect: looping sound and still image, no restart. I think it's a power issue.:bonk:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  4. savalord

savalord Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC 512mb 625mhz
    Do you know know how much amps are on the rails of the PSU? I seen some 580watt PSU's not be good enough because the 12v rail didn't have enough amps. Also did you try upping the fanspeed in either ntune or rivatuner, Before I did that I had problems with heat issues.

5. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    I did change my fan speed with RivaTuner. While idle my card is at 60-64C and 40% fan. Under load, the card is 75-80C at 100% fan speed.
    The mobo has 2 fan headers I believe. The Sys_fan and CPU_fan. http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2457 is the motherboard page. I'll look for a decent ~500W PSU for a couple of days.

And I have no idea how to check the amps on the rails. :bang:

6. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    I have the same card and this happens only when I o/c my card too much... It also happened two times with current o/c but it I think is mostly a driver problem

7. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Guest

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    it is PSU issue all mfg's recomend 450 minimum power, 500 PSU or better to be safe. MFG site will display amperage to rails on better brand PSU. generally speaking any good recently made 500+ PSU will do the job. go 700 or so to do sli.

8. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    Well, our country (Estonia) isn't too big, and we don't have all the pieces of hardware. Though, is Fortron a good enough brand? I could get a Fortron Blue Storm II 500W PSU, but nothing else that's over 500W without costing a lot more.

*Oh, by the way, I managed to play Crysis for around 2h without ANY stuttering, and CoD4 for around 1h.

9. AeXStrider

AeXStrider Member

GPU:
    eVGA KO GT [ if it works]
    Hey put up a link to that power supply's site, or specifications page, adn I am sure someone here can tell you if it's good enough. Math is not my friend , but when you can see what the 12 v rails show etc. there is some magic way people have added soemthign up and come out with the total amperage on teh crucial 12 volt rail. :)

10. arel77

arel77 Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 EVGA
    I have the very same issue with my bgf 8800 gt oc after about 45min- 1 hr i get a bsod and i have to re boot and thats with riva tuner fan settings @ 90 % in game and 2 120mm fans allso brining in fresh air but with my clock settings in sig i dont get them no more :nerd:

11. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
  12. AeXStrider

AeXStrider Member

GPU:
    eVGA KO GT [ if it works]
    don't buy it yet! That article is from 2005- - when soemone who knows more posts maybe they can say if it's good enough .
    Im gonna try to find the very helpful article I got from toms hardware / Johnny guru, which had a comprehensive listing of power supplies broken down with the 12 volt stuff translated for nubs like me/us. :p

Scroll down to the bottom on this first post if you dont' have time, many links to help there http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243648-28-power-supply

And in that post this site referenced:

http://www.jonnyguru.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1460

:infinity: this guy knows power supplies. Hope there is one available to you from that list. Power is often underlooked but a clean, reliable and efficient source of electricity should be the foundation of your computer .:)

13. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    Wow, thanks a whole lot AeXStrider. About time I had a good list of PSUs. I'll check what's available to me, and report back later.

*Found this one : Silverstone Element 500W ATX PSU.
    Nothing else for now though, I'm tired and it's late. Thanks for the help, be back tomorrow.

14. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Guest

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    listen if you can play crysis at all id say its a heat issue and not really a PSU problem, you want all your fans to suck air into the front of your case and exhaust it out the rear with a really strong 120 mm(or better fan). this will allow ait to carry away heat and dump it out the back, if you have a side fan make sure it dosnt currupt the airflow of you VGA heatsink, you can do this by making vents to channel that side flowing air onto your vga fan apature, (like ram air to a car).also make sure your case is cleaned of dust at least 2-3 X a year, dust is a killer.

15. ninelives

ninelives Guest

16. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    ^^ definitely ..

17. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    Hmm, I have the CPU fan, the case fan, and the 8800GT fan all throwing air around INSIDE the case. I'll flip the case fan, so it throws all the hot air out.

18. studabakahawk

studabakahawk Guest

GPU:
    2-SOC GTX 460 768 MB SLI
    air flow via fans

i would recomend looking up sites like overclockers.com and checking their site for air flow diagrams there are several good sites that do this try googeling ' computer case air flow' or something like that.
    also you want a fan set in a drive port at top front of your case, heat rises so you want to get this air moving, they sell small 3 fan sets you can simply pop in those drive ports another fan at bottom front of your case all drawing air in.
    and of course the large very fast fan at rear drawing air out, idealy it will be just behind the heat sink for your cpu look for a case that has a fan apature set approx. mid way down back of case,this should mate up with most M\B designs.
    so its air in front out back, keep it simple when its working right you should be able to feel the air rushing in to the front of your case. I dont use a 3.5 drive any more so i leave that port empty and i can place a playing card across that open port and card sticks that way i know ive got good air flow.
    if you have a particularly hot vga card you can have a fan playing air across the back of it , just keep it pointed to rear most vga coolers sit on front of card which leaves the rear in need of somekind of venting.

19. Remet

Remet New Member

Hi,
    I also think its not the PSU, but just the cooling, check this outhttp://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
    calculate the power consumption, adding 100-150W to the total power consumption should be efficient, if you got a decent PSU that is.
    I'm from estonia to, and i also got the fortron 400W psu
    My spec: amd x2 6000+, am3nf3-vsta,2x1gb ddr2 800,x1600pro and a old ide HD. It runs everything nice with the current setup, the x1600pro and the 8800gt got almost the same power consumption when i tried it in the calculator. The fortron PSU puts out roughly 12v1+12v2=32 Amps, and that should be more then enough.
    Hey Afrotag, where did u get the 8800gt anyway, cus everywhere i've checked here, its sold out or available if u order(a.k.a in our coutry's case it'll take 2 months to get it).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  20. afroTAG

afroTAG Member

GPU:
    Club3D 8800GT 512MB
    Hah, I've got some connections. :)
    I'll check the calculator out though, thanks.