For you Vista haters

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by F1refly, Nov 7, 2007.

1. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    XP, it gave me more problems than vista. With vista its small things that don't matter. With xp it was always a bsod.

And Vista 64 is just amazing, 4gb of ram. Maybe 8gb next year. XP 64 was just awful.

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yeah. Vista does seem more capable of recovering from a problem (especially driver related) than XP.... which usually just thought "oh sh*t *BSOD*".

3. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, I've got to say that while I believe the bickering between ElementalDragon and NowhereMan is pretty childish, NowhereMan does have a point. ElementalDragon has yet to prove why Vista is better than XP.

Driver support is a non-issue for me. Even if there are problems with drivers right now, they will get sorted out eventually. I believe ElementalDragon is the one that said Vista runs smooth if you get it set up just right. Well, I've had my XP running smoothly in a variety of configurations.

If your whole reason for buying Vista was "because YOU liked it" and nothing more, then that's your own personal opinion. As I've probably said before, if doesn't matter that much if Word, PowerPoint, or OpenOffice runs a little bit faster. I think they run plenty fast as it is. It's one of those things that's like, why spend $200 to get an OS that runs slightly faster when I can get a new CPU for less than runs better on any OS. May not be the best argument in all cases, but it still remains valid. Granted, it's only valid for the time being. At one point or another we will only be able to buy Vista with a new computer and/or the cost of the OS will become cheaper than getting a new CPU. This is all assuming that Vista does bring better performance with it. If I've looked at benchmarks then I've forgotten about them. It seems obvious that it doesn't bring significant gain else you'd read about it everywhere.

I want stats that show Vista is better than XP, not personal opinions. If you don't have these then why post that Vista is better? I can say that they don't have to be studies or benchmarks, but they do need to be proof, not just opinion.

As far as memory. I'll say it yet again. Why do we need so much memory? There are only 3-4 applications that I could use an a home user that would warrant me needing more than 1GB of memory. I can think of Supreme Commander on some very high settings, some other game that also needs some pretty high settings, or when using the absolute maximum compression methods in 7zip (or some other compression program). I think I had another one when I started this, but I've forgotten it. The thing with the games is that to get to the point where you need more than 1GB of RAM is that your computer would generally be high end. I'm thinking that getting memory for them isn't so much of a problem. It's not really an excuse, but when your computer costs $2000 for top-end SLI cards than $50 for 1 or 2GB more RAM isn't gonna be a serious dent in your budget.

All the other programs that I can think of that use up more than 1GB of memory are for servers, workstations, or possibly even businesses (depending on what type of business). Not that you can't use them at home, but that there generally isn't a need to.

Like I said, give me stats or don't bother posting that Vista is better.

4. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    If you have 2gb's of ram stick with xp 32

if you have 4+ go with vista 64

simple

5. Watch_Out

Watch_Out New Member

lol I'm probably the only one but i think vista and direct-x ten are great, and im only runing a 8800 gts 2 gigs of ram and a core 2 duo 1.86, with a asus p956 motherboarde after overclocking my graphics card and setting my procsessor to AI Nos :p things work magnificaint runs quick graphics i can notice alot in like crysis and bioshock in image sharpining and blending aspects things just look more real, and call of duty is amazing, off topic thoughiv had no issues after turning off a few things vista had to offer.
    Probably the only thing iv had issues is with network speed but it hasnt bothered me none yet. well anyways thats my 2 cents lol

another thing u probably know but ill say ot anyways, for u crysis players on directx10 having problems running the game on say high or very high change the config files, i have the best settings writtin down if someone wants them pm me.

Peace

6. vFiReStOrMv

vFiReStOrMv Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512mb
    I like the bling of Vista but it still needs more work. I have it on my second computer but will not have it on my gamming rig until it has more stable drivers.

7. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    As I will soon be installing vista x64 ultimate for a new direct-x 10 card, are there any processes that I can permanently turn off that are unneeded, or any tweaks that you guys know of? I only have 2GB of RAM, so I would like to keep the number of processes limited.

8. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
  9. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    you'll probably want to turn off User Account Control as soon as you install... otherwise with every driver install it's going to ask whether or not you wish to install the driver. can be REALLY irritating for this that install a few drivers, like i believe sound cards have a tendancy of doing.

Don't think Watch_Out really read much of the thread. especially not the last page or two. lol.

As for Alex.... how can we prove it? Benchmarks show that XP gives ever so slightly higher framerates.... but the vast majority of the time, those games appear to play smoother on Vista than XP, even with the ever so slightly slower framerate. i mean... you can't record a video of that. the only way to discover that is to try it. And no reviewers actually mention anything like that. They only state apparently what people want to see...... framerate, encoding times, etc... I didn't even pay for my copy of Vista.... and i didn't bootleg it either. got it for free, even though it's only Vista Business.

10. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Pretty UI.
    Fast searching
    Backup software is a million times faster. Holy ****, 14 hour backups under XP every week. In Vista it only takes a 1-3 hours per week.
    DX10
    Recovers better from driver errors. I have had one hardware lockup that Vista did not recover from due to my VRAM being to high. Everything else it has easily recovered from allowing me to adjust clocks without even rebooting. Saved me a lot time.
    New UI is more functional. (I love the new start bar, control panel is overall a little bit of an upgrade and a couple UI changes here and there that I like)

If I tried I might be able to come up with some more positives that I can't name off the top of my head, but so far that is what I have liked about Vista over XP. Is it enough for you to upgrade? Apparently not, but shut the **** up about how terrible Vista is and how you don't want it. People using Vista don't care what you think, it fits their needs fine, and better than XP in some cases.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007

11. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I'm not just talking about games. I can understand how lower framerates are still smoother. Sometimes it's more about those ohh soo slight stutters. Like microseconds in length.

I don't see why you can't record video of it. Granted that if you recorded it via computer program, like FRAPS, that the game may suffer, but if you have an LCD then why can't you use a camcorder or something?

Either way, not getting Vista just to see if it's smoother or not. Though, if I happen to play a game on it at someone else's house then I may find out.

Other than perhaps games I don't see what's wrong with listing benchmark scores for compression and encoding times. Heck, even things like loading webpages would be good. We all do tons of web surfing.

I suppose you could be right though. Can't deduce much about how it feels without trying it again. Haven't used Vista since before it's release. Though, I can't test drive it like I can a car. That's a problem for people like me. If the stats can't prove that Vista is better and using it is the only way to know, then there isn't much anyone can do to persuade us without letting us try it for free. But I doubt Microsoft would let people download Vista to try it out. At best I might be able to use it for a couple of minutes at an electronics store. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll let me mess around with drivers and installing programs and whatever else I do on my computer.

12. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    well.... you COULD test drive it like you do with a car.... except it'd be of a rather non-legal fashion.....

recording it with a camcorder probably wouldn't really capture it either. i mean yeah... you'd be able to see it... but that's about it.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i can sum up any questions against Vista in 3 words.

"Resistance is futile"

15. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    rofl. nice one xrc.

16. CurtX

CurtX Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 4gb
    I'm disliking Vista more and more each day. I've had it for only a month, but every game I've played so far with has been having periodic crashes. Yes, I experiences some crashes during my XP years, but nowhere near the frequency and consistency that I am with Vista.

I'm seeing all kinds of complaints on the web from nVidia users where they've had problems ever since Vista's release.

My personal opinion is that Vista's aggressive memory management system is problematic.

17. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I went back to XP + SP3 from Vista - and I like it more. I installed objectdock, and it looks exactly how I would want any OS, and I get better game performance. I do need a firewall in XP, but that's not many resources

18. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
  19. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yep.... they "pwned" themself by making XP better. i'm SURE Vista's only going to get worse with age......

P.S. for those who can't pick up sarcasm..... that was it.

for some reason i'm getting the feeling we've already covered this in the last page? "blah blah blah XP SP3 gives roughly a 10% increase blah blah blah while vista SP1 only shows a 1-3% increase blah blah blah". seriously getting a case of deja-vu... where i said, in reply to that, who cares about a few frames here and there that you wouldn't notice anyway... then i think you made a crack about my 6GB of RAM (which strayed off into comments about benchmarking and me contradicting myself, even though you didn't notice that i was being sarcastic in my comment about getting a higher 3DMark score).... then Alex asked me to prove that Vista is more often smoother than XP even though it uses more resources. God that's ringing an awfully familiar bell.

20. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    blablabla...

vista bashing people...

you're probably the same people who bashed XP when it came out...

and bashed Win98 when it came out too...