HELP! System won't boot after new video card installed.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Inspired, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked
    Hello,

I recently got a Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP card, and when I installed it today, my system won't even boot at all. My monitor is not getting any signals and I noticed my HDD LED is on steadily. I have checked my GPU fan and it's working, so it should be getting the power. The video card uses two molex connectors and I have both of them plugged in.

Any idea why this is happening?

2. Dynasa

Dynasa Member

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 640 @650/1000
    Same thing happened to me a while back. It means your video card is DoA, you're going to have to RMA it.. Sorry bud =/

3. rockaway

rockaway Member

A Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro AGP card can be installed successfully.But then your PC needs to have certain requisites.Read about it here

4. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    try clearing your cmos... it helped me when I got the 7800gs

5. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    Is it still possible to be DoA even when the GPU fans are working well?

I have an OCZ Modstream 450W PSU with 26 AMP on 12V rail, so I don't think it's the power issue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  6. Dynasa

Dynasa Member

GPU:
  7. Pelle V

Pelle V New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 512 AGP

Have had the same you can bot under failsafe change to omega driver and it works well..
    Radeon Omega Drivers 3.8.421 (Catalyst 7.10)

// Pelle

8. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    I unplugged the two molex power connectors on the video card and what I noticed is that the GPU fan is still spinning. This indicated that the GPU fan does not draw power from the power connector, but instead, it draws power from the AGP slot. I don't know if this is how it is because I thought GPU fans draw power from the power connectors.

My system will not do anything after power is turned on and my monitor can't pick up any video signals. Obviously it has nothing to do with drivers.

9. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    the GPU itself draws power from the power connectors at least on new cards.

10. Pelle V

Pelle V New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 512 AGP

Is the card correct mounted in the agp slot?
    Pressed to the botten ?

11. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    Yes, I am sure of that. I even made sure the AGP lock tab was locked onto the card completely.

The only thing that could cuase the problem might be the power lines that came with the card, but I think that's highly unlikely. I will try a different power line to see if it's the problem.

12. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    got any strands with no other devices on it to try and plug in?

13. sunkid

sunkid Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
    Mate, just reset your BIOS!

And forget about that GPU cooler! It doesn't say too much about the real state of your video card.

If the PC still doesn't start after BIOS reset and eventually an OS reinstall, try plugging another video card in your PC to make sure your other components are all ok.

If the PC is OK and after re-plugging your new video card in, it still fails to boot... then you just need to RMA it.

14. SuperDave23414

SuperDave23414 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    My comp. is doing the same thing already restarted cmos tried unplugging it and everything else and as soon as i can get another video card will try switching...happened when i was cleaning everything then i got a system alarm and failure to post just a blank screen
    my mobo has all these light things on it and they are working so i think that means my mobo is OK right?? not fried or anything. and if need be for an RMA do i send it to Nvidia or BFG? system specs to the left.
    <-------
    ok tried the new card still didnt work

15. chrismeyer

chrismeyer Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7950 GT 512meg
    have u tried putting ur old card back in and seeing if it boots properly?

16. SuperDave23414

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    oops lemme rephrase tried my buddies card(new) still didnt work everything turns on except the screen still with his card and mine

Gonna try reseating the mobo maybe a grounding issue?? worth a try

17. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    For some weird reason, I shutted down my PC and left it there for about 20 minutes, and turned it on again. This time the HDD led is no longer on and I was abled to get in BIOS. However, once I set up all the settings in BIOS after clearing the CMOS, my monitor went off again. Now I am suspecting that the video card might be DoA. I am thinking of returning it tommorow.

18. Dynasa

Dynasa Member

GPU:
    How many times have I told you that now o_o

19. SuperDave23414

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    but still think my 8800 is dead? tried everything so far but even when i put a different card in it still failed to post. and still probs, i took everything out; did a complete disassemble all the way down to the CPU being reseated with new thermal paste. took all the old studs off the mobo tray and put new ones is so complete reseating fo the mobo also tried the diff. card and nothing my mobo. when i took my fan off though there was a thin spot in the thermal paste but temps have always been fine idle 32*c load in the 60*s. If i do need to RMA who do i send it too??Nvidia or BFG technologies??? also tried the other guys thing, letting it sit there and think about whats its done and the trouble its caused me.....and nothing. almost wish i let it suffocate with dust instead of taking the stuff out to clean it.

20. Inspired

Inspired Master Guru

GPU:
    Once, :p

Alright, after few days of researching, I think I have found the problem. When I took out the new card and putted my old card back in my system. The system will no longer boot as well. So I came to the conclusion that:

1. The video card is DoA.
    2. After the installtion of the new video card, it corrupted my BIOS. (This explains why my system won't boot even when I put my old card back in.)

Now the questions is, is it possible for a defective video card to corrupt the BIOS?
    Clearing the CMOS will not work, so I will have to update my BIOS to get my system working again.