Nascar thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dominant1, Nov 19, 2007.

1. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I've only been to one nascar event at our closest track, Infineon raceway. I thought it was interesting to see them make right turns, they have F1 races there also.

I'm not a real fan of either but it was fun being there regardless.

2. mykledw

mykledw Guest

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Juan Pablo is a testament to that, he thought he could just walk right in an smack everyone in the face.................now he got his ass handed to him but he has gotten better and is learning.........................and yes, I know, throw Gorden to F1 and he'll be dead in 2 races.....................

It is very different, but the same if you know what I mean......................

3. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    Exactly

4. Salem13

Salem13 Guest

Funny how people can use redneck in a derogatory fashion but words like ****, ******, **** ****** and ***** ****** ********* ** * ****** are automatically intercepted.

(this post intended for crass comedic value and is no way meant to PCasize "redneck" or champion free use of racial slurs)

5. badave

badave Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gts 320
    Anyone who says Nascar is simple, they need to got to a track an ride as a passenger.I did it at Lowes Motor Speedway.Three lap ride an the average lap was 160 mph.I did not know if i should have been scared or excited.To be going so fast in a banked turn was just amazing.The lateral gforce is incredible. When i got out of the car i felt like i was gonna fall over.I said to myself and these guys do this for 3 + hours with no breaks.If you ever get the chance to ride as a passenger it is well worth the money. Gives you a whole new respect for all the drivers.

6. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Good for Jimmy. But neither the likes of Jimmy Johnson or Jeff Gordon deserve the honor to be 7 time Champions. Those names don't even deserve to be said in the same sentence as Dale Earnhardt and Richard Pettie.

7. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I really enjoy Formula 1 racing...the things those cars can do blows my mind. But I still maintain that there is every bit as much engineering in NASCAR as there is in Formula 1. Formula 1 is very high tech, and those cars are at the height of modern racing technology. NASCAR on the other hand uses carburetted V8 engines that are very similar to the engines you would find in muscle cars from 40 years ago (accept that they are new, shiny, and have a lot of technological upgrades thrown in here and there :) ). The bottom line is that regardless of the technology, when you are pushing what you have to the absolute limit, there is going to be a lot of science and engineering involved.

And while there are a few things here and there that the driver can change on the fly from the cockpit of a Formula 1 car, they don't have completely different setups for every turn as was stated.

Formula 1 engines might pull higher revs, and F1 cars without a doubt bust turns like no NASCAR could ever hope to, but you just can't beat the sheer racing excitement at a NASCAR cup race.

8. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    a champion is a champion, regardless of how many times they win the cup. besides today's competition level will never yield a 7 time champion again. drivers are being discovered at the ages of 15 and up, and racing professionally in cup by the age of 19. today's parents are getting them started early. To win 2 championships back to back is unprecedented in today's era with today's level of competition, and also you can't compare the jimmy johnson/jeff gordon era with the petty/ earnhardt era, there were about 4 good racing teams back then. today there quite a few more..and today's cars are alot more restricted so that any advantage that can be achieved is severely minimized.

Example-- do you think the Montreal Canadiens will win another 24 stanley cups in todays competitive nhl?..its the same principle in nascar. It will never happen again. no nascar cup driver will ever win 7 titals again.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  9. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    I just wish they would quit changing the God damn names of the different series. It went from Winston to ****** and now Sprint for the cup series, pick a name and stick with it.:bang:

What, I can't say N-e-x-t-e-l???

10. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Is it as popular in the south as Top Gear made me believe? :p

11. Woodmasterfox

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    Absolutely.

But Top Gear made everyone living in the US south look like a bunch of racist homophobic hicks, and that isn't true.

12. bcoupland

bcoupland Master Guru

GPU:
    9300 onboard
    i've tried to watch it on tv, and like F1, i find it boring, round and round and round. WRC is much more entertaining to me, as is paris-dakar.

i just don't 'get it'

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed. WRC is alot of fun with loads of action and things happening all the time. It's in fact one of the few sports events I actually bother watching on TV.

I find Formula 1 extremely boring, so I don't want to imagine how boring NASCAR would be for me.

14. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    I love the Paris Daker rally. Seriously its such a gruelling challenege, and I mean people who do the dakar have become lost and died.

Scary stuff indeed.

15. Salem13

Salem13 Guest

fixed :grin:

16. Woodmasterfox

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    Haha, I'll meet you in the middle on that one :p.

17. badave

badave Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800gts 320
    When it comes to watching nascar it is boring.What i have found is you have to watch enough shows an get to know the drivers an what there like, for it to be more interesting. Kinda like the more you know the better it gets. Altho nascar has taken the racing out of it an turned it into entertainment.