should i get a 8800GT ??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by deathvirus, Nov 8, 2007.

1. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Well , its simple .. i don't complain about my current card .. but considering i can sell this one for quite a decent price (don't ask [​IMG]) and i'd hardly require much for the upgrade .. what do u guys think ?? should i get the 8800gt ??

Also , not goin to use this card beyond march anyway .. and till then, i'll be running on XP too [​IMG] .. ooh the terrible itch in my hands ,, need advise quickly ..

Now quick . need to decide by this weekend ... :eek:ver:

2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I had a 7800GTX and just got one 2 days ago, i couldnt recommend it more, all my old games look fantastic @ 1680x1050, i dunno if id be as excited if i had to run games with an LCD that only has a res of 1280x1024 as my GTX could handle Bioshock etc at that resolution with decent framerates, but for higher resolutions than 1280x1024 its brilliant

3. Paradigm

Paradigm Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    quite simply
    yes

your RIG would be complete for Crysis

which we all consider the daddy for bringing RIGS and their proud owners down to earth

4. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    yep looks like i am in the same boat with a 7950gt, i was going to skip the 8 series altogether but hilbert compared these 8800's to the legendary 6800 which i only recently overheated in my spare pc and dearly loved. That make's me sit up and take notice, just that little doubt in my mind that the 8800gt will end up being as usefill in DX10 as the 6800 was for the majority of dx9. Still not convinced that buying an 8 series is the best idea unless you resign yourself to upgrading every generation anyway. best to wait untill a game comes out that blows you away and you know you will play for 100 hours+ and then pick the card to go with it.

5. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    ^^ Actually , me too had a same opinion about the 8 series .. my 7950gt is still pulling games at 1280*1024 , maxed mostly .. and more than enough playable fps ... i thought of skipping the 8 series all together , but the 8800gt pricing has given me such a itch in my hands :( ... plus i'll be sticking to XP for another 6 months or so (darn projects) , so i'll be on dx9.0c too .. now considering the 8800gt outperforming the 8800gts 640 mb ,, and probably going to run Crysis at 1280*1024 , very high settings under XP ... OMG ... what to do .. another 3 days to decide ...

6. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Get it, you know you want it! Seriously, I have one in my 2nd rig, running at a resolution of 1600x1200, and it runs great. I hate to admit it, it can almost keep up with my GTX. I run the Crysis Demo in XP with most of the settings high, with a couple in Ultra w/the XP hack.
    Also, when they come out with the next high end cards, you aren't going to be able to sell that 7950GT for peanuts, because of this 8800GT being the main stream card.

7. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Im upgrading my monitor to a 22"-24" LCD around christmas, and i want the 8800GT bad, but i think im going to hold off, i can still play all my old games and crysis is not to bad on my comp.

8. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Yeah, the edition I really would have recommended would have been the eVGA SSC Edition, but since that's a real tough card to come by, I'm gonna say that even tho the KO Edition is one step down, it's a lot easier to get your hands on. Rather unfortunate, but the SSC is selling like candy on eVGA's website right now.

9. dechan

dechan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 1gb WF OC
    i got GT today enjoying every secound of it ;) i think you should get it!

10. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 470
    It would be a nice upgrade for you in all games... except Crysis. No cards in the market can tame this animal at Very High settings yet.

11. stansdds

stansdds Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 7950GT 512 MB
    I also have a 7950GT and I'd get an 8800GT if the rest of my computer was modern like yours. I think the 8800GT is the best value of the entire 8xxx series cards.

12. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    it's so hard to know what the best thing is at the moment. scary to think that the 8 series could all be lame ducks too soon but then the gt seems such a bargain. but yeah, if i had a buyer lined up to buy the 7950 then it's worth the upgrade, defo.

13. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    Retailers can't seem to keep them in stock for more that a few minutes before they are sold out.

I don't like spending much over 250 USD for a gpu so the 8800gt was looking like a good upgrade that fit my price range. I don't want a card with any less than 512mb vram so the 8800gts 320 isn't an option. The price of the 8800gts 640 isn't dropping the way it should because gt's are in such limited supply.

Since nvidia can't seem to produce the cards in decent numbers I'm seriously looking at the 2900pro 512mb again now. I already have a power hungry, hot running card so I was trying to stay away from the same thing with the 2900 cards but nvidia is practically pushing me that way due to this half-ass paper launch of the gt.

If their going to launch a new gpu they should at least be able to keep the retailers supplied properly.

:finger: @ nvidia

I'm in a pissy mood today, lol

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  14. psdatta2005

psdatta2005 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 1GB
    8800GT alll the way

as the 8800gt out performs the 8800gts 640mb u shoul just go for it