XfX 8800gts to MSI 8800gt OC (worth it?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by primopearl, Nov 5, 2007.

1. primopearl

primopearl Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640mb XxX
    XfX 8800gts 640mb to MSI 8800gt 512mb OC (worth it?)

hello, I have an 8800gts XFX XxX (600mhz/1500mhz/1900mhz)... now i have the oportunity to shell it and buy this vga: MSI 8800GT OC 512mb.

worth the change or not?

(sorry im not speak english :p)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. fcry64

fcry64 Master Guru

GPU:
    opportunity is of less value if u can oc the 640 to high levels

3. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    GTS 640 vs GT 512 appears to be a hotly debated issue, the question being if there is a perceptible difference in gaming performance or does the difference only show in benchmarks. While there is little doubt that the GTS can be safely overclocked (within reason) the same can't be safely said of the GT, at least not until the current controversy about whether or not overcloking the GT could result in physical damage is resolved. Be it just for this I wouldn't recommend that GTS 640 owners switch to GT, at least not until the GT's reliability is established (the GT is barely a week old on the market). Back when I was thinking of switching to 8800 series from 1900 XTX I waited 2 months after the launch of the GTS 640 before buying it, based on the fact that very few problems were reported by users. I don't regret it.

Also there appears to be a trend in which the switch from GTS 640 to GT 512 is being portrayed as beneficial based on financial considerations. Proponents posit that even though the difference between GTS 640 and GT 512 is marginal at mainstream resolutions one should get the GT because it's a better value than the GTS 640. This makes sense only to those who don't already have a GTS 640 however, there are no savings for those who have already paid for a 640 unless they find someone willing to pay $300+ for their card.

Besides that, a true upgrade from the 640 may be on its way within days, the so-called "new GTS" which will be faster than the GT and, in all likeliness, better built. Downside is it will be more expensive, perhaps even as expensive as the 640 is/was, but truly noticeable boost in performance and higher quality parts will probably be worth the money.

4. primopearl

primopearl Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640mb XxX
    thanks for the answer :)

the thing is that i have the oportunity to shell my videocard now... and without spend a dollar buy the GT...

I see some benchs but all of them are the GT vs the stock gts... mine is OCed... offcourse that GT can OC (except for the mem problem)

i dont know what to do... :(

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Get a GT primopearl :)

6. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    bah

I would think the swap from a 320M gts to the GT would be a ok idea but a 640M to a GT just seams silly to me. What really are you gaining for the price unless you can do a straight swap. Even then I would think the 640m could be overclocked just a bit to match the GT within a few frames.

Seriously I am waiting till the next Intel chips and hopefully the next gen of 10.1 cards to get upgraded from my aging P4 3.0 ~ 3.3 and AGP 7800GS lol.

7. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    I had the GTS 640 and sold it for $300 on eBay. I then got a 8800 GT that is clocked at 700MHz. Playing the Crysis demo and Bioshock there is definitely a speed increase at 1600x1200. It was definitely worth it considering I wasn't out any money.

Keith

8. primopearl

primopearl Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640mb XxX
    what gts do you have? stock or OCed? it really worth the change? its easy to clock a GT to 700mhz?

maybe ill buy a stock GT, not OCed... thats why ask...

thanks for the replys :)

9. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    My GTS was a BFG and I had it overclocked slightly to 525/825 from the factory 500/800 clocks. My new GT is also a BFG and it came stock 625/1566 and I am running it at 675/975. In Crysis it made it playable at 1600x1200 with everything on high quality whereas before it was just slow enough to irritate you.

10. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    There's a good reason for that, it's not possible to make a serious comparative review using overclocked cards because then they are not being operated within the guaranteed performance index and results are often inconsistent from one card to the next even when using identical overclocked values.