Anyone managed to run game without crashing with Rivatuner enabled in background?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by alexsoon, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexsoon

alexsoon New Member

Anyone managed to run game without crashing with Rivatuner enabled in background?

Yes, that the key question. I tired 169.04, 163.69, 163.75 and 167.26 drivers with rivatuner 2.06 enabled while running games like Crysis and Quake War: Enemy Territory demo. The result is both games crashes.

However in Battlefield 2142, Supreme Commander etc, i can run without crashes with rivatuner enabled in background.

Now somebody tell me what wrong.

Is it that rivatuner is using some files which Crysis is using at some point in the game n therefore causes the game to crash with a graphic drivers error?

2. alexsoon

alexsoon New Member

This result were double confirmed when i disabled rivatuner and run Crysis using all of the above drivers without crashing.

Summary:
    Once Rivatuner is enabled, game crashes. So is it overclocking or rivatuner the program which causes the game crash?

3. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    nope i run riva tuner in the backround alot , especially with crysis , although with crysis the osd doesnt work.......but i dare not ask why ;)

4. alexsoon

alexsoon New Member

Pardon me for being ignorant. Hrmmm...what is OSD? Is it On Screen Display?:O

Back to topic. So u are able to run Crysis(without crashes) with rivatuner enabled in background? What version of forceware u using?

I am only trying to find out if it is Rivatuner conflicting with the games. That bcos i have tried with different forceware version and all games crashes with rivatuner enabled in background.

My overclock is certainly stable 660/1600/1811 certified using ATItools, and i am using 8800 ultra.

The only possibility i can think of that causes the crash is that different drivers need to be overclock differently. I need confirmation on this thou:behead:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Tip:
    If it were RT issue, I would leave the comment in the thread. If I ignore it - threat it as beginner user fault.

6. alexsoon

alexsoon New Member

I done further testing. I uninstall rivatuner 2.06 and use ntune to apply the same overclock. Again, Crysis demo crashes halfway into the games....it always crashes at the beach scene. I tried this experiment using both the 163.69 and 169.04 drivers.

So rivatuner might not be the culprit afterall since overclocking using ntune crashes the game too.

However, this only happen to QW:ET demo, World In Conflict and Crysis demo. I played other games like Supreme Commander, Battlefield 2142, Counterstrike Strike: Source, Halflife 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern warfare demo, Warcraft 3 all without crashing with rivatuner 2.06 enabled.

The common thing among these 3 games are that they are all demo version. So, can i conclude that it is the games itself which conflict with RT and eventually crashes? I asked this bcos i know of others who enabled rivatuner in background and play games without crashing.

I just wish to clarify it before i go on to doing more tweaking/setting (probably harmful) to my system.

The tweaking i have done to my system so far is
    (i) Increase virtual address space limit to 2900 via command line in command prompt - BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 2900.

(ii)Increased my virtual memory to 1.5 times my physical ram amount and places the page files in a partition in a non-os-installed drive.

This is one of the toughest issue i ever faced in my gaming journey. I managed to solve window vista dreamscene issue, supreme commander crashing issue, vista CP issues after googling all night through the net but just not this issue. And yea, i really goggle hard and tough b4 i decide to post here for helps.

Finally, Unwinder, would you mind directing me to some sources which explain the various function in Power User mode. I would like to know whether tweaking the setting in Rivatuner will make it work in games like Crysis without crashing it.

I certainly hope it is the games fault and not Rivatuner:ying:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. Unwinder

You just overclock too high. If you were able to run at these clocks with old drivers and games, it doesn't mean that you'll be able to do the same with all new drivers and games too. 3D scene complexity in modern games is constantly increasing and Crysis is a good example of such game, there were no games stressing GPU that much before it. Furthermore, the drivers are being heavily optimized too to provide you better performance and more effective GPU usage. Both of these things increase your graphics subsystem stress, so it may get ustable in case of too agressive overclocking in NEW games with NEW drivers even if it was stable on the same clocks with OLD drivers and OLD games.

8. alexsoon

alexsoon New Member

Thanks Unwinder, you just made my day.

I think you are correct. I tested it again by enabling rivatuner 2.06 but no overclocking....just setting the fan on my 8800 ultra to run at 100% duty cycle. I managed to run through the whole Crysis demo WITHOUT CRASHING using this no-overclocking setting in rivatuner.

I think this proves that rivatuner 2.06 does not crash my game but it is overclocking-too-high which causes it.

Just 2 points to clear my doubt.

• Whenever a new set of driver is released by Nvidia, we have to overclock from stretch using the new driver as different driver have different overclocking potential.

• I was previously using 163.69 WHQL driver and overclocked it successfully using ATItool and Rivatuner. AtiTool did not show any artifect at my overclock setting. However, when i use 163.69 driver with the same degree of overclock and tried to run Crysis.....Crysis crashed on me.
    • Does this means that Crysis the game itself is a more graphically-stressful application than Atitool stress test??? Logical?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  9. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    just posted my feelings

My system runs RT 2.06 and 169.04 overclocked with nooo crashing issues. Vista 32 and XP

10. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

Alexsoon, since you have an 8800 Ultra, can you tell me what your values are as seen in this this thread?

http://forums.guru3d.com//showthread.php?t=238574

I am curious what Nvidia tweaked besides putting in some faster memory. (I think that's what they did on the Ultra). Tnx.

11. Warl0rd

Warl0rd Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280X DirectCU II
    sorry for bringing this up again, but i'm having the same problem.

Everythime i run Crysis with RT running the driver starts crashing. Even disabling any OC, just by having RT running i get driver crash :(

12. Unwinder

I've zero wish to waste nerves on beating dead horse again. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.