Vista Upgrade and sound lockups

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Jason9875, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    Last night I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Vista, and so far its worked out fairly well but every game I try to play that uses hardware audio acceleration causes a high pitched noise and BSODs Vista.

I have tried reinstalling the Vista 32bit drivers from Creative's website a couple time now, and its made no difference.

If I turn off hardware audio acceleration, I have no problems in my games. Is this crash due to Vista doing Audio in software now? Is there a way to keep my system from crashing? I have no problems disabling hardware sound its just annoying to have to reboot every time I run a game that does hardware sound.

2. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Uninstall anything and everything to do with creative and try these (the 64 bit version of them works great on my Audigy 4),

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&message.id=26773

As far as games and hardware acceleration in Vista, unless the game uses OpenAL, it will all be in software. Have a look here,

http://www.openal.org/titles.html

As far as OpenAL goes, not sure if that driver package has the latest version in it or not but you can get it from here,

http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46

Just install after installing the drivers.

And if any of your games are not in the list then you will need Alchemy,

http://files.filefront.com/Creative+Alchemy+Universa4rar/;8311880;/fileinfo.html

to be able to run the game with hardware acceleration and EAX (if you enable it).

3. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    One of the games that was giving me issues was Unreal 3 and its Hardware OpenAL. I assume this is more driver related then?

And thanks for the links Ill get to downloading

4. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    When playing Unreal Tournament 3 as soon as the round starts (If not before) I immediately get high pitched whines, and Vista slowly becomes completely unresponsive.

I have tried reinstalling UT3, and a similar crash happens in STALKER with EAX on.

I have tried Warcraft III and it works fine with EAX on. EAX sound filters work fine when just playing music.

I installed the drivers in the first link (after uninstalling the creative crap and running DC) installed OpenAL, and used Alchemy for Warcraft III.

Any other ideas as to why UT3 and STALKER do not like hardware audio? Ill get to trying other games and see if this is more than a couple games.

Unreal 2K4 seems to work on both Hardware 3D and H3D+EAX sound settings, Doom 3 works fine with obvious EAX4 reverb, but UT3 still locks up.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007

5. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Not sure why STALKER is causing problems as it is an OpenAL game and should work no problem (don't have it so can't test). Not sure if UT3 is OpenAL or not, but can tell you that it worked fine for me (since uninstalled as the game didn't really do anything for me).

6. Jason9875

Jason9875 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT
    I just tried the RightMark 3D sound benchmark, it made the high pitched noises, and not long after it completed I got a couple of sound errors and a lockup. Same STOP error as before, 124.

So something is wrong with my OpenAL drivers or install... I think ?

Edit: A reinstall of the software linked, uninstall of the drivers it included and installation of the latest drivers from creative's website seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007