GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB Guru3D review

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    Good effort, chill out, have a pancake and a smoke. Ah the joys of Amsterdam in Springtime....

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Well, for £180, these are fantastic cards. Truly amazing performance and features for such a "cheap" card. Shame about the cooler tho, should've been better.

3. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    So is this card better/ same as the current 640mb GTS in terms of performance.. If it is I would consider getting 1. Not because I want more performance, but because I could actually make some money doing so (I know someone that will pay £210 for this card, and the GT 51mb costs around £170, making me around 35-40 quid :D)

4. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    it's nearly as powerful as a 8800GTX (difference is only around 8% in some games, and less than 4% in most games), so it's definitely better than a 640MB GTS.

5. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Guess this means that I'm probably gonna have to invest in a Zalman along with that 8800GT, ah well, guess that may be about $300 - $350 after adding the cooler, that'll almost put me around the same price as the 640MB 8800GTS. Sounds rather fishy, but it could be worth it.

6. disco

disco Guest

GPU:
    Palit Dual 3060Ti
    8800gt 512 is faster than 8800gts 640, it's almost fast as 8800gtx!

Edit: ...I'm late ;)...

7. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
  8. victorsays

victorsays Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512 SLI
    Make sure to keep us posted on changing the cooling on this card, I would be interested in this as well since my stale 6600GT has a VF900 that could use recycled. So excited about this.

Thanks for the review Hilbert.

9. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    nice! now newegg just needs to get a hold of other manufacturers for the 8800gt.

10. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Right, BRING ON BFG!!!

11. Mc.

Mc. New Member

Hey there!

I got a little question about the 8800GT!

At the moment I got an ATI x700pro with an Intel P4 550 (3,4Ghz).

How big will be the difference to the performance of the test system of Guru3d and is it worth to buy a 8800GT when I keep my CPU or is it too weak and only limitates the GPU??

Thx in advance.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    A P4 is huge bottleneck for a 8800GT, however you will still see a huge increase in performance from a x700. You just won't use the maximum potential.

13. Amakuma

Amakuma Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 512MB
    Preordered mine! and a new mobo should be a great step up from 7800GS+ which has served me so well.

14. victorsays

victorsays Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512 SLI
    According to Anandtech the $250 and $200 pricepoint is simply an inflated markup. Anyone see this? Hope it's cool to link to them...

Link

Not only that, but we can expect the stock clocked 512MB 8800 GT to hit $200 at the low end. The 256MB part, which won't show up until the end of November, will hit prices below $200. Upon hearing Ujesh Desai, NVIDIA's General Manager of Desktop GPUs, explain this incredible projection, my internal monologue was somehow rerouted to my mouth and I happened to exclaim (with all too much enthusiasm) "you're crazy!"

15. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
    Might as well see what Hilbert has to say about that one.
    My guess is that it may be up to the individual company building around the card that sets their price by what they do with it. However, don't forget that nVidia only mentions the MINIMUM price of which a STOCK one is sold at, not necessarily what nVidia's partners are gonna sell it at, or how they plan to configure the card. There's a difference there. Look at the HD2900Pro, Sapphire and HIS priced it higher than AMD/ATI suggested, so the same thing will happen with the 8800GT, you wait and see.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007

16. 8IronBob

8IronBob Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC
  17. tucsonrider

tucsonrider Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870 1GB
  18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Excellent review Hillbert , get some sleep and rest i know that flight its a looooooong one :D

19. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Profit would be the only reason why I'd swap my GTS for the GT as well, otherwise there is very little difference in performance between the two until you hit stratospheric resolutions nowhere near those I play at. And one also has to take heat issues into account, using this card will significantly increase temps inside one's case which could require the purchase of additional cooling equipment not only for the card itself but also for the case and maybe ram as well.

I really enjoyed Hillbert's review, it's informative and very objective unlike the pre-release reviews that I have seen, which featured comparatively inflated benchmark results even with slower CPU's.

While the GT is faster than I had expected (which, according to a certain member, makes me a moron :D) it's not so much faster than the GTS 640 as to warrant the "upgrade" to a card that comes with issues GTS owners do not have to deal with. As for heat I suspected that the G92 would run hot but not this hot. Moreover, it appears that the GTS 640's extra 128Mb vram and faster bus may come in handy in true DX10 applications. I expect however that the upcoming (in theory) new GTS, should it be equipped with a real cooler and run at reasonable temps, will constitute a worthwhile upgrade from the current GTS 640 as long as it doesn't cost $400 or more.

20. DarkPoee

DarkPoee Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TI FTW3