PS3, it's not looking good is it?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by StormVR6, Sep 7, 2007.

1. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    I did??? Perhaps you should re-read what I said or perhaps you're referring to another post I made some time ago??? In my post I said "Hell no!" in regards to it being worth the $600 I paid for it. I'm not quite sure how you can get much more emphatic than that. Is that what you were referring to? If so, then honest mistake and no worries.

Cheers,
    Will ;)

2. ChaosTheory

ChaosTheory Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB @580Mhz
    It has turned into hype because it does nothing better then the other systems. For around 300 now, you can get a 360 which basically has the same games and better exclusives then the PS3. I could really care less about graphics on a console since I have my pc. Consoles are more for when your friends come over or for certain titles and exclusives.

And it is mostly hype because no one really wants a blu-ray and the average customer today probably either doesn't know what it is or finds it too expensive. When they think console, they think games, and Sony has pretty much failed with games on the PS3. Xbox now has access to most of their exclusives like GTA and UT3, which the PS3 was counting on at the time of the hyped up tech demos. And I doubt most 16 year olds are going to say, "Hey, I want a PS3 because it has MGS and UT3 first" and go out and buy a PS3 when most probably already have an xbox by this time.

3. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Commodore 64 pwns all, xbox and ps3 could never live up to all the glory that is a commodore 64.

On topic and jokes aside Christmas 2008 people. Thats when you will know whether your views are complete bs or absolutely spot on. Thats why I have no intension of even thinking about getting a console right now when I already have a decently performing pc to game on.

4. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    Why certain people here find it hard to apprehend what willvx says, in his posts, is beyond me. He expresses his opinions emphatically and I'd go so far to say, is one of the most impartial members of the forum. He clearly states his affection for the PS3 but in the same breath, admits that the 360 is superior in particular areas. How is that, in any way, the opinions of a fanboy? Are some of you shocked to hear a person who has no discernable comtempt for other platforms, to the point where you find yourself not knowing how to respond, only having impertinence to fall back on? Does his civilised manner pass you by?

I have great respect for willvx, he has an excellent temperament and brings only positive to the forums; insulting him with the title of "fanboy" is ridiculous and downright ignorant. Save your abuse for someone who deserves it.

5. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Thanks for the shout out Storm, I sincerely appreciate it. I'm glad someone stepped forward, because for awhile I thought that maybe I was going crazy.

The last page of this thread seemed to dissolve into some convoluted mish-mesh of a mess. Why my entire post was quoted is beyond me, and what baffles me even more were the comments about it. :confused: Anyhow, thanks again Storm. I say we just drop this whole thing, which I'm still not quite sure was about, and get back on topic.

Cheers to everyone,
    Will

6. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Yea, I read parts of his post wrong. Not gonna lie their. Got some fuzzy memory it seems. I read it, then went off to do something, then came back and just remembered it wrong. Ohh well, my bad. Please forgive me. Looking at it now it seems he's mostly correct. I don't think it's worth it as a gaming console for $400, but that's my opinion.

7. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    AND LOW AND BEHOLD THE HEAVENS OPENED AND A CHOICE OF 2 PACKAGES WAS GIVEN!

They are tricking people into thinking its a better deal when in reality, in most situations, as stated by yourself, it actually is a better deal?! Listen to yourself man; "It's a trap!". ;)

And I agree with Storm, Willvx has actually put the time in to research why the PS3 is ultimately the more powerful of the two systems but isn't blind to the politics and the (apparent) awkwardness of the hardware to work with in a cross format situation, bar in a few isolated cases ofc (DiRT being one as an example). Unfortunately as soon as someone actually defends the PS3 it sounds like fanboyism because everyone is so used to the bashing. :(

Still, the thread has yet to descend into the usual ranting associated with games consoles so well done everyone involved, Alexstarfire included. :)

8. StormVR6

StormVR6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti / GTX 650Ti PPU
    I've just got home from a hard day at work, I've a stinking cold and I'm knackered, but I'm happy to see everyone is still on good terms. :)

Bravo! ;)

And now I'm wondering if the public demo of Crysis will indeed be released tonight, although I've grown tired of the hype now. So back on topic...

EDIT: I've just seen that the public demo is to - or should - be released at 12pm GMT tomorrow...oh whatever, I really don't care anymore!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  9. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I have noticed that this thread seems to have stayed on track and not been shot down in flames, very rare over here and every other single forum i visit, the console guys seem a good lot.

10. sl3000gt94

sl3000gt94 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC 675/1566/1900
    Why does EVERYONE always compare the PS3 in sales to the 360 and Wii...They have been out for a year before the PS3 was released. I think thats a pretty stupid comparison. Then they say about the game library once again. they have had a year to build it up. I just got a ps3 last month and very happy wth it. Resistance was GREAT game. i just got Ratchet and Clank yesterday and that game is AWESOME. The line up of games comming out for the holiday are sure to make the PS3 look alot better. Well not in the fanboy's eyes. Games like haze, Rathcet & Clank, COD4, Uncharted, SOF..yea a few are multi plat. but its just good games added to their Library. Then in Q1 08 you got Turok, MGS4, then little later killZone 2. then the new Gran Turismo. To many people think just cause it didnt own the market the second it was announced and within the first year it is no good. plus it has a blu-Ray player built in. I am not a Sony fanboy as i really dont like many of their products other then the playstation.

11. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I remember back in 1991 when the Super Nintendo/Famicom was released it received an enormous amount of criticism when compared to the Genesis/Megadrive. It had major slowdown and flicker issues and a serious lack of quality games when compared to SEGA’s offering. As time passed, we began to see different special effects and quality titles that produced excellent visuals from the Nintendo camp. Programmers were learning more about the hardware and began utilizing its functions. The 16 bit machine from the Big “N” became one of the most successful consoles in gaming history.

See where I’m going with this? The PS3 offerings will get better with time. I truly feel that the Blue Ray technology was a bad move but we’ll see what happens in the next year.

I’m satisfied with my consoles right now. I’m looking forward to Mass Effect and Virtua Fighter 5 on my 360 along with Africa and Tekken 6 on the PS3.

Good competition from all 3 camps means better games for us! ;)

12. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    yeah I agree that from a gaming standpoint, adding required blu-ray player to each PS3 was a bad idea, since it could be sold for around $200 less with out it, but overall for sony, they made a pretty bold business move in trying to win the big format war. and it was way ahead for them over HD-DVD until transformers came out and sold a ton of copies.

I really hope that the PS3 comes around, since there are games I really like for it, but not enough to justify the purchase yet.

13. sl3000gt94

sl3000gt94 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC 675/1566/1900
    Do you even see any of the stats. BluRay outsells HDdvd's 4-1 most stores are making larger room for bluray and smaller HDDVD
    Transformers isnt going to make or break the war. I think the Spiderman trilogy released next week will make a bigger impact

14. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    The Wii came out the same day that the PS3 did I believe, might have been a week off. Most people don't compare the Wii to the PS3 because they believe it's not a next-gen console. I'm sorry if power and graphics are the only things that they think quality a console to be next-gen, current-gen actually. It probably also has to do with the fact that the Wii is kicking everyone else's ass in sales. The thing about the games is that it does come down to exclusives, unless you use your console for more than gaming. Whichever console has better exclusives should be the one that does the best. Of course that may not always be the case since price always comes into play.

Also, even if compared to the sales of each console over the same time period it comes in last every time.

If you'd read my posts I've never said it was a bad package. I said it was a bad GAMING CONSOLE. The PS3 is certainly more powerful than the Wii, and perhaps the 360 if the PS3 is 100% utilized. As I said above, it's not all about power and graphics. It's about price and exclusives. I think the Wii has the best exclusives for the moment. It could change, but I'm thinking that it won't change for a while. FPSs are consoles just aren't my thing. Even if one console has an FPS exclusive it doesn't matter to me. I don't play too many FPSs on consoles, the controllers were always awkward, cept the N64 and probably the Wii. The Wii is different because it's not just 2 analog sticks anymore, which was never a good idea in the first place. If all FPSs on the Wii are like Red Steel then I doubt I'll play them, but as I've only played Red Steel it's hard to say. Metroid Prime 3 is supposed to be amazing, but I haven't tried it yet. Provided they made the controls better than Red Steel it'll probably be the platform for the best FPSs, even if they aren't graphically superior.

15. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    can't say I keep up to date with the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD stats...but I didn't realize it was so spread. Spiderman will have a huge impact too. A little good news for sony in a mass of Microsoft smear advertising.