Computer lock up!??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by frankie123, Oct 26, 2007.

1. frankie123

frankie123 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX
    alright... specs to the left

this afternoon afterskoo when i turned my computer on, everything seems to boot up fine.... and like 20 seconds after windows boot up.... the whole computer freezes.... cant move anything... held the switch to turn it off. try to turn it back on and theres nothing on the screen... couldnt even get into bios.,.. not even a beep.... turned the psu off.... everything boots up fine and freezes in windows again... tried to go into safemode and everything works fine..... no lock up or anything... ran a virus scan nothing came up.... does anyone noe whats going on here

frank

2. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Use deductive reasoning. Take out a stick of ram, put the other in. Test the PSU on a different PC or a different PSU in your PC. Could be physical damage, check motherboard for blown caps. Not a HDD or ODD error most likely. Is the fan on your CPU working 100%? It could be overheating. Continue....

3. frankie123

frankie123 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX
    i don't think its any hardware component... i checked all the hardwares and tried to pull one stick of ram out each time...... i tried usin another psu and the same problem occurs.... this is really frustrating.... i need my computer for hwk thats due tmr...

4. [Peter]

[Peter] Master Guru

GPU:
    512MB GeForce 9800 GTX
    How about if you run your pc on safety mode and restore the system till the day when it worked fine, and you should be fine, unless you have some important file you are worried about to lose, but i dont think ur risking losing any files.

5. frankie123

frankie123 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX
    ^^^
    thats a good idea i will try that now and see what happens... THX!

6. EZ@home

EZ@home Active Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512
    Added any hardware or installed any drivers recently?

7. frankie123

frankie123 Guest

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX
    ^^^
    nope

and system restore didnt work....:leave:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  8. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Does the PC go into sleep mode? What power settings do you have for it? If a PC won't boot, you can't rule out a hardware issue

9. EZ@home

EZ@home Active Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512
    CPU might be on it's way out. Does the MoBo beep an error code if you don't put in RAM? If it does, at least you know the board is allright. The system won't make into the BIOS or to POST if CPU is fried, makes most sense to me that's your problem.

What's the stock clock for the CPU and what were you running it at? To much volts or to high a frequency can cause malfuntion or instability.