Upgrade from X1900XTX to 8800GTS 640 XXX?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kravits, Oct 24, 2007.

1. kravits

kravits New Member

Hello everyone,

First time poster, long time video card junkie.

I'm considering getting an 8800GTS 640MB XXX Edition (600MHZ Core) to replace my ATI X1900XTX.

I did some project compares on Futuremark and noted about a 50% increase in scores compared to my card, but would like to know if anyone has any real world gaming performance data to support this upgrade?

I got my XTX last October and it has been an awesome performer. While the DX10 thing is a nice bonus with the GTS, not sure the expense of upgrade is worth it just for that, given the lack of decent DX10 gaming, and if I'm not going to get a decent performance boost (for games like World In Conflict, COH, etc.), I'm thinking I just hold onto my XTX a while longer.

Between the cost of the card and ebaying my XTX, I'm looking at about close to $200 to do this.

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

-SK

2. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
  3. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    I say wait - The GeForce 8800GT is coming out soon. And also the 8800 GTS Fatal1ty.

4. kravits

kravits New Member

Thanks fischju for that link, it's pretty interesting. I'm digging the roughly 50% performance boost in FSX and that's using the 500 core, not the 600 XXX core.

Thanks also G3DXfire for your thoughts. I'll have to do a little more research on the newer 8 series cards coming.

'Preciate it!

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    yeah agree with above posts

just wait a while and you'll start seeing newer stuff as well as price drops on other hardware as we close in to the Winter/Christmas season... also in production is the newer versions of the 8800GTS/8800GT

6. amyjones09

amyjones09 Member

jesus you should get the 8800 ultra and you will be solid.

7. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I upgraded from 1900XTX to 8800GTS 640 and regardless of benchies and articles it was obvious from the get go that the GTS was a worthy upgrade especially with newer games. It did improve FSX more than I had expected but then I wasn't expecting much, since it's no secret that FSX requires hardware that has yet to be invented in order to run as smoothly as FS9. The GTS did improve it nonetheless but not as impressively as it did with other games. I must comment here that I have tried FSX on extreme systems (Quads with 2 8800 Ultras) and yet it wouldn't run any better on those so my guess is that FSX's software limitations are not an urban legend.

8. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Sorry, deuce.