Overclocking during 3D apps - different methods?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by lessismore, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lessismore

lessismore Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GT 512MB
    Hi,

I have finally managed to set up RT to overclock the core and memory when a 3D application is launched, and switch back to lower (underclocked, in fact) settings when only using 2D. Kudos for giving us such a powerful too, Unwinder!

I am using the "hardware acceleration" feature for this, ie. when it's 1, switch to OC settings, when it's 0, switch back. Works really well! (Note for anyone interested: use 0.5 as the threshold crossing value, not 1.0 as I did initially....)

The thing is, a number of guides suggest a different way to achieve the same thing - namely to switch when a higher memory clock is detected (as set under "performance 3D" in the overclocking tab).

I was just wondering whether one method is preferable or more reliable than the other?

Thanks!

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Can you point to the guide that..

because I don't get that one.

The way your doing it is perfectly fine IMO.

3. regulat0r

regulat0r New Member

You aren't by chance running Windows Vista 32? For some reason everything was working fine with my 8800 gts until I installed RT 2.05 and the Nvidia 163.75 drivers. I think those drivers screwed up something because now whenever I try to overclock (even by 1 mhz), the clocks do not apply. They simply revert back to 513 / 792. I've tried many different drivers and even ran system restore. I've spent countless hours trying to figure out how to get this to work. Perhaps I'll try your method out...

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

regulat0r

Dear "I cannot overclock" newbies, I seriously ask you to stop spamming the same stuff in all overclocking related threads you see and strongly recommend to start RTFM'ing.

5. Unwinder

There is no preferable one - use the method which better suits your needs. Hardware monitoring thresholds technology gives you unlimited count of other possible dynamic hardware programming methods.

6. virtualex

virtualex Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-800/4400
    is there any way to use "hardware acceleration" monitoring without the statistic server on ?

7. Unwinder

Under Vista - no. Under XP "Hardware acceleration" can be reported by both server and NVIDIA driver (but it this case using this graph has no sense).

8. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Here is a guide to switch when a higher core clock is detected:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2431959&postcount=92

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for Vista.
    From a previous discussion with Unwinder it seems this approach works only on XP. When switching profiles, Vista always activates "Performance 3D" first for a couple of seconds.

Also, to my knowledge, "hardware acceleration" is provided by the Statistics server functionality - so the server needs to be running in order to use "hardware acceleration" as a trigger for switching profiles.

I would like to take this opportunity and ask Unwinder how easy would be to move this functionality in Rivatuner or to provide an alternate way of switching profiles integrated in Rivatuner.
    Is this something that can be considered for a future release?

P.S. Sorry Unwinder, I was writing this message when you posted the above message :)

Thanks,
    EnF

9. Unwinder

That's easy and just 10 minutes of work, but that's technologically wrong solution. RT will never inject the code into other processes inself and it will be ALWAYS done by separate server application. Forget about it.

10. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Ok, then what about a plugin with only the "hardware acceleration" detection in it which can be used by the graph monitor?

EnF

11. Unwinder

Once again, it won't be moved from the server into RT.

12. EnF70

EnF70 Member

GPU:
    8800GTX
    Fair enough - as I understand your reasons about not having Rivatuner "injecting" or hooking into various libraries to perform the task.

Will stick with the Statistics server then :)

Thanks,
    EnF

13. regulat0r

regulat0r New Member

Look Unwinder,

I RTFM, several times. I've looked through tons of post on many different forums. I've easily spent 5+ hours researching this with no luck. That is why I posted this on the forums. I understand you want to keep these forums clean, but cut me a little slack here buddy. I've done my due diligence in researching before posting. I honestly have no idea what is going on, especially since everything was working great before. You have created a great application and I give you props for that. If you're not going to help me, fine. But there is no need to insult me and say I didn't 'RTFM.'

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  14. Unwinder

Just a small advice for future: if you'll treat "RTFM" as insult - you won't survive here. There is nothing wrong and insulting in misunderstanding something, there is nothing wrong in offer to peek in documentation.

15. regulat0r

regulat0r New Member

Sorry I don't want to create any tension here, I'm just super frustrated with a lot of things right now. I honestly have read through the manual, release notes, forums, etc. Like I said, everything was working fine before. I'm sure I'm missing something here, that's the only reason I bothered posting on the forums. Trust me, the last thing I want to do on these forums is to draw any unwanted attention from you and the community.

Perhaps I'll reinstall Vista and try to get it working again, but I'd rather figure out the root of my problem before doing anything drastic. I also only have 3 more days until my Vista license expires, so I'd rather figure out a fix right now before I register it, otherwise I'll probably just reinstall.

I'll look through everything again after work, but I was pretty thorough the first few times, believe me. Like I was saying, for some reason my overclocks do not apply at all. As soon as I hit accept and ok they revert back to 513 / 792. I've tried keeping my 2d, LP3d and 3d settings absolutely identical. Perhaps there is a power user setting I'll need to enable (although I tried enabling a few that I read up on). I've been going around in loops here trying to get everything functional. I know it isn't an issue with RT per se, but perhaps there is a workaround I can use. All in all, I just don't like the idea of being associated with those people that don't try figuring things out on their own behalf. Trust me, it irritates me in my line of work just as much as it irritates you.

Sorry to disturb.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007

16. lessismore

lessismore Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GT 512MB
  17. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    I think that a step to add to that is, if you have set up profiles for the ROP Clock and the Memory Clock in the monitoring section, delete them.

18. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS @ 600 / 900
    Well today I reinstalled Vista and as some of the folks in this thread have posted, I too cant get OC to work right. Works fine under XP but under Vista all changes always default back to stock. The only way I can get an OC to work is with ATITool. With RT 2.05 best I can do is get fan control working, which contrary to what I have read seems to work fine.

So ive been digging into the issue and stumbled upon this:
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=46937&hl=overclock

Seems that post 163.44 there have been some changes made to the drivers related to OC'ing, one of which is a cap on the core of 594. I can confirm such a cap as I cant OC past that using ATITool. Anyhow, im not sure why my RT 2.05 is having issues with OC'ing if ATITool can do it but if someone here can chime in and inform me, that would be super.

19. Capt Proton

Capt Proton Member Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 570
    I'm using 163.67, so that's not it.

20. Annex

Annex Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS @ 600 / 900
    Shrugh. I can change 2D or 3D core/mem till im blue in the face, and every time I click on Apply absolutely nothing happens. Few months ago when I was fiddling with Vista and an older version of RT it all worked fine, so I know something definitely changed. And yes my Vista today is a fresh install done this afternoon. Ah well, im content as is with ATITool doing my OC and RT doing my fan controls. Just find the whole situation most bizzare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.