6800GT AGP died, need suggestion on a replacement :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dzutrinh, Oct 13, 2007.

1. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
  2. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

Ive heard there are only 1500 units world wide :(

3. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    The fastest AGP card is the X1950 XT which is faster than the 7950 GT PCIe. Unfortunately it is quite expensive, ranging from $250 to $325, considerably more than the PCIe version of the same card. It's hard to justify its purchase unless one is absolutely bent on keeping their AGP rig another 2 years or so.

4. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    The Gecube X1950XT also needs a beefier power supply than the Pro does as well. Including the TEC Cooler it requires 3 (4-pin) Molex connections or 1 PCI-E (6-pin) & 1 (4-pin) Molex. Manual addendum also recommends a 550w power supply for operation.

I definitely agree with what Karl said regarding the X1950 Pro series of cards. However, just a couple of warnings. I would stay far away from HIS ICEQ3 Turbo Revision 1 cards (Product code ending in just -R) with clocks of 620 core / 1480 memory effective, they had some nasty issues with the default HIS core overclock. HIS later made a Revision 2 of the card with a lower core clock of 590 and a higher memory clock of 1540 (Product Code ending in R-V2). The Revision 2 card is also using better 1.2ns memory, while Revision 1 used only 1.4ns memory. I had two bad Rev.1 cards myself and OverclockersUK even recommended getting one from a different manufacturer after my second RMA.

Also note the Gecube and Visiontek models lack a temp diode so no GPU temp monitoring or fan speed adjustment can be done. They also use a different VRM design however which may make them less prone to overheating. Your call on what's important. Personally I like the Sapphire X1950 Pro 512.

You may even want to consider a X1950GT which runs about $140, see link. It's basically and underclocked X1950 Pro and other than the clocks it has the same specs. There is also a good chance you can overclock it to Pro speeds, many have.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-195AG25

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007

5. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I presume that the reason for this is the prevention of user panic attacks?

6. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    You may be on to something .... :uhoh: :eek:c:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  7. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

I changed the order from XFX 7900GT 256MB to XFX 7950GT 512MB. For the upcoming Unreal Tournament 3 :D Have it pre-ordered too.

8. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
  9. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

10. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200

11. asianlonerboy

asianlonerboy Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB
    where do you even LIVE in VN dzutrinh to have access to pci-e equpiments?
    2 years ago when i went back comps were crap over there lol

12. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    The person is sticking with AGP. :)

13. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

I live in Saigon, most of ppl here dont care much about their comps. They just need a comp that helps them done their daily works like texting, chit chat, playing some multiplayer games like Warcraft, Starcraft etc. Thats why stores here sell mid-range stuffs only. I have some friends and my bro in the US so they can help me buying comp stuffs that i cant find here :D.

BTW, Im kinda busy with my works, finishing my MS. thesis so i dont have much time for going to comp stores to select and buy stuffs for a new rig. Thats why i asked here for help, just wanna replace my beloved AGP card, it's a sample card from NV tho lol. I may build myself a new rig at the end of this year :) I know AGP wont last long but still loving it cuz I've been using my setup for 5 years without any problems and it's OC'ed until now.

Anyway, thanks heap for the help in this thread guys. You guys rock!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2007
  14. asianlonerboy

asianlonerboy Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB
    well... i guess VN has made some progress in the civilian market on the computer side.... cause 2 years ago, couldn't even find a pc cafe w/ decent dsl speed! LOL but things change i guess

good luck on your rig man