My PC did 3.6ghz, now it doesn't??!??!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Logic Zero, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Damnit, just tried to do 3.6ghz, I was running this 1 month ago, when I set the settings in the bios and restart, it won't even post. It just tries to start up and then dies, repeatedly. Kinda strange considering I was running this orthos stable for 5 hours just 1 month ago Ideas? I have checked, double checked, triple checked all settings, I am a fairly experianced overclocker and this has stumped me :(

2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i get the same thing with 4ghz, now i cant even make it past 3.1

3. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Annoying as hell tbh.....I spent ages debating whether 1.6 is ok for 24/7, I decide 'sod it lets go for this OC' and the thing doesnt wanna play. Will give it another shot tommorow....

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My chip has been degrading greatly over the year I've had it. I've had to increase the vcore alot to sustain the same overclock from what it originally was set at. At 1.6v you're going to experience the same thing even faster than I did, which doesn't matter if you're not planning to keep it for a very long time. My chip originally needed 1.5v to be 12h Orthos stable, now I'm pumping 1.56v through it -- and it's 2 months since I've checked stability. Doesn't really matter for me as I'm getting rid of it soon, but it's something to think about.

However, going from Orthos stable to not even being able to post sounds a bit too radical to be a 1 month degradation of the chip. Have you recently flashed your motherboard bios?

5. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Nope, haven't flashed mobo bios at all, very sad how this happens as it was 5 hours orthos stable @ 1.575, 3.6ghz, just under a month ago, then I set it back to 2.8ghz for a few weeks as I didn't need the speed (not much gaming or anything). Then I decided to pump it back up to 3.6 again and I put 1.581v through it and I'm getting this :( Shame...doesn't explain how some people can run overclocks on phase change right on the edge for months on end though....very strange.

I haven't even run it at 3.6 for a month, hardly even 10 hours.

6. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    it may also be the mb thats causing the instability.any way to test your proc in a dif rig by chance?

7. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Hmm didn't wanna play last night but now back up at 3.6ghz. Very strange, must have been me tweaking 15 different settings all at once and saving to bios, this morning i just took it step by step; eg. change ram timings, save, change voltage, save, change cpu freq and save etc. Should be fine from now, load temps are great though, 57c fully loaded, cleaning out my rads and blocks really helped.

8. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    yeah well i still cant get past 3.1ghz

9. Slashyss

Slashyss Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG8800 GTS 640mb OC
    i had that problem as soon as i changed from xp to vista.. was at 3.6 in vista.. now i cant get into windows at 3.6.. 3.24 is as high as i can go now

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Have you seen this in previous generations? A64? I've been running my 4200+ @ 2.7ghz on 1.55V for 4 months now and I haven't seen any issues yet. Do you think this is C2D specific? I've never heard of people experiencing problems like those listed in this thread. I know a lot of people that have been running X2's @ 2.8ghz+ for over a year with volt mods. I am interested in C2D and this is why I ask. I don't want to purchase a chip that can't stand up to the OC. However I'll probably wait until the new offerings come out and order around XMas.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Hehe, same here. I could run my E4300 @ 400 FSB (400x8=3,2GHz).
    But it rebooted by itself while playing Tiberium Wars and ever since that reboot, it won't go past 355Mhz no matter what i do, even if i sting it with 1,65 volts. Lol. So now i run it at 3GHz fully stable even for non stop 24/7 torture with BOINC Rosetta. It's fast enough anyway (even though nothing is actually fast enough for me) :)

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nope, this is the first time I've experienced such degradation on a CPU. I've been overclocking for many, many years, and I've always been generous with the voltage. None of the AMD's I've had had suffered from this. But truth be told, I've never owned a CPU more than 12 months, so what happened after I got rid of them is unclear. It's also worth mentioning that I have not tried the CPU in any other motherboards, so I can't rule out other factors yet.

I have a Q6600 ordered and on the way, and I will get a new motherboard within the next few weeks. I will try the E6600 in the new motherboard and see how it does.

13. omga14

omga14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 745/915 for now
    motherboards sometimes give out less than the registered voltage in the bios and can degrade sometimes after "burn in". some get lucky and the caps, v regulators, etc. "come back to life".

sometimes it does have to do with the order that you change your settings for some reason. any time you get a good overclock and get it tested stable with reliable stress test software you should write these settings down for later input and the order that you went about changing the settings. sometimes changing them all at once will do the trick or you may have to go in the order you did previously. don't ask me why as i don't know.

if you have a motherboard that can save overclock settings like i believe some of the Asus boards can this makes things much easier as you can have one bios setting for running stock and another set for overclock love:D

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've measured vcore with a multimeter, so that's not it. The motherboard could definitely have part in the problem, no doubt. Will be very interesting to see what the old chip does with the new board.

15. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    idd, please let me know how it goes. John do you have any idea how much voltage I need to give the northbridge to hit 1600fsb from 1333? It doesn't state in the bios what volts stock is, just +.01, +.015 etc etc. Dunno what stock is on the gigabyte boards for a 965.

Also, I'm starting to think the motherboard is the culprit, as sometimes I cannot get my PC to boot in the morning if I have been overclocking the previous night, and just today I got a lovely multicoloured BIOS screen. And yet it plays games/runs tasks/orthos fine? Very confused....

16. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    No, not much chance at all....:(

It would be handy to know the stock NB voltage on these boards though, how much more than stock do people run to get the high fsb's? As I mentioned above this mobo is 1333fsb stock, so reaching 1600 really shouldn't need much of a voltage tweak.

17. Darcon

Darcon Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 630/2000
    ITT noobies killing their chips.

18. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    My Athlon 64 stock 2.4GHz has been running @ 2.7GHz with 900MHz FSB for over 7 months now, no problems. C2D Dies are weird, they sorta "Melt" after a prolonged period of time. Plus, the E4300's until the E6 series uses a cheaper die, to make them cheaper. I'm thinking about going with a Pentium D for my next build, bad reviews about the Core 2 Duo's lifetime. Then I'll just wait until Quad's go down. :D

19. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Guest

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Thanks for that wealth of information.

Interesting if true, thanks for the info :)

20. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    loads of great info in this thread....fuel for my brain and future debates....