We are not alone

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by tuco, Sep 24, 2007.

1. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
  2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    What can I say, you've probably seen Contact: it would be an awful waste of space.

3. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    that picture scares the cwap outta me
    space is soooooooooo big

4. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Amazing indeed, and the distances between those galaxies is so mind blowing that it is hard to comprehend. That said, this doesn't suggest we aren't alone, while i would be surprised if we are, it definitely is still a possibility.

That image goes back in time as well as space, the further away it is, the further back in time it is. Maybe a civilisation existed out there somewhere in a small planet orbiting a small sun in one of those billions of galaxies, but considering the amount of time we are talking here (millions and billions of years), it is not inconceivable that that civilisation is long since dead.

There is something known as the Drake Equation that takes these kind of details in to account but it's really only for our own galaxy and for distances that we could reach with speed of light commincation (radio or lazer i suppose). That said, there is no real answer because the variables are fairly hard to estimate.

I don't think it is possible to ever communicate outside of our own galaxy, or even to the further reaches of our own galaxy for that matter.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007

5. Shaman391

Shaman391 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 66GT 128mb@600/1320 1.6ns
    Great pic. I believ that there's life somewhere. No doubt.

6. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Imagine one day you wake up, switch on TV and you could see some SPECIAL NEWS ...that some big ships coming close to moon to our planet and your head would be full of questions what will happen when they get closer to earth.. oww ****

7. Undercova

Undercova Guest

GPU:
    660GTX Windforce
    At first sight it doesn't look much, but when you start thinking that those little things there are whole galaxies, it starts to look quite big.

Also, i allways get headache when i start thinking space, is it infinite, and if it is, then wtf? Infinite? And if it's not, then what the hell is beyond space? Argh.

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Wuss, lol.

Cant say 'We are not alone' really (well you can) because we wont know for a hell of a long time or maybe never.

9. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    So much planets to exploit.

10. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    here we go again llerenaprincipe starting another 1 of his ghost/ alien, galaxy threads. Over 4billion people on the planet and your lonely....lol. what, has a dead relative of yours visited you recently? Did he/or she tell you how to catch the next comet. harri creeshna, creeshna , creeshna. Do have any threads related to pc's or 3d or gaming or is it just ghosts, goblins aliens and galaxies....?
    you must be a Californian, get a grip dude, its not cool to be "way out", Come back to the real world! Are you shrooming...lol

11. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I bet theres things out there we're not even ready to see yet, I probably watch too much scifi. No doubt we're not alone, but the chances of us or them getting to another galaxy is near impossible, it's just too far. I'd love to see an alien, even if it killed me.

12. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    How can you pontificate about things you know nothing about. If you really mean what you say, then your saying that you would sacrifice your life for something you are completely ignorant of. There are areas of our own oceans that we can't explore because the water is to deep, and your going on about galaxies...the only thing that seems definite is that you and the thread starter are shrooming! Take a paxil and come back to earth guy!

13. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    As I said, I probably watch too much scifi. I'm not religious and I would hate to think that we're the only spec of life in this almost infinite space, consider the size of us compared to the universe and it's billions of planets for a sec.
    The only answers I want is, what is all this doing here and what the hell was here before this? Blows the cr@p outta my mind.

14. pSilociN

pSilociN Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 620/900
    I ponder about life elsewhere but have no information to ponder about. Yea, there is life out there but, we have no idea what life outside of our home could possibly be like. I don't buy into the whole green aliens with big black eyes scheme.

Your right about the shrooming part. The times I have, I thought about the universe and the life that infests it.

15. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's

16. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I have always enjoyed looking at the Hubble’s imagery.

That is a very nice picture of the Universe.

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I always love gazing at the stars wondering if other species out there are doing the same. It makes you feel small and perhaps somewhat depressed.

But you are not alone!

[​IMG]

18. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    He didn't start the thread.

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's a vast and beautiful universe out there, I just wish that the human lifespan wasn't so short. Imagine in the distant future, should we survive? The pioneers and what they'll find! It's mind boggling.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's simple, people have their own choices, and their own tastes, I don't get why it's so hard to believe, but there is freewill. That's why there are people exploring different things, such as the ocean, space, land, other things. That's why we wonder about stuff, it's not required to wonder, explore, and know the ocean before you wonder, explore, and know about Space and other galaxies. But we sacrifice our lives doing work, and other things, and we don't know what lies ahead of us for sure. Some people say you just lie in the ground, some people say you "go on", but no one knows for sure. But you can't say that out of all of space, in the universe with how big and possibly infinite, that we are the only ones who live, and strive on a planet.

I also don't see why you have the sudden urge to flame someone in a topic, when nothing offensive or dumb has been posted by the op, or anyone else in the topic. I don't know, maybe you get your kicks out of doing that, maybe it helps you sleep at night, but it's not needed, and not appreciated.