Cool running, silent ~6200 level

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grantschoep, Sep 15, 2007.

1. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Ok. I have a box I am going to continue to use for another year. It handles most every game I play, I don't really play some of the hardcore 3-d things, but do like to toy around.

So. My current graphics situation. PNY Verto 6200 (NV44A). This card performs fine for me. It's just f'in loud. I disable the onboard fan, but then it can get up around to 70deg C, not horrible. I just don't like that. My air-cond. won't be running this winter...

So... I could just replace the cooler with a nice heat sink, this one is puny... or buy a stock card with better heat sink. I'm not hitting horrible temps with the stock cooler and fan, and it performs adequate for me.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find many after market coolers out there that work with this 6200. I did some measurements of the current cooler.
    Approx(I only have a big old 1960's craftsmen tape measure)
    Its rectangular
    X=2.5''
    Y=2.0''
    Diag=3''

I really can't spend more than 50-75 USD. I do prefer NVIDIA(I'm ticked off at ATI for a number of reasons)

This 6200 performs fine for me, so a silent heat sink would work. Though, I have seen a number of the 6200's that come stock at that. And they aren't too spendy. Though, I of course really don't want to buy a whole new 6200 just to get that bigger heatsink'd

Ack... I have rambled too much. Who makes a good heatsink for the aboved dimension?

Note, this is an AGP card.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  2. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    For 50-75 bucks you might even get a new 7600GT silent lol.

3. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    The MASSCOOL VF1 Dual Heat Pipes VGA Cooler supports the 6200 and it's $25.

I doubt you can get a 7600GT for $75, it will be more like $125. That said it may well be worth saving for something better, personally i recommend getting an X1950Pro, while it's not NVIDIA it IS the best value card you can buy, but it will cost around $150.

Even so, if the 6200 does you for now, then i would probably wait till you go with a full upgrade for PCI-e.

4. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Cool, thanks for the info. I just bought the Masscool VF1, I'll follow up once it is delivered and hopefully all installed and running

5. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Drat. the MASCOOL VF1, does fit my card, I swear it looked and was setup like the reference 6200 card. I have the PNY Verto P44VA, maybe their reference for 6200 support was for the NV43... Drat. Now I have to deal with trying to return it. It was only 25 bucks, so if they change much of a fee or are bitchy about it, I'll probably give it to a friend(for the cost of a beer or two of course)

However, it was nice as I bought some Artic Silver 5, and replace the stuff that came with the card. Dropped my idle temp from ~37 deg C to ~35 deg C. It would be interesting to see a "benchmarking" of different thermal pastes.

Putting the older heat/sink fan on, did give me an idea I hadn't thougt about, the heatsink has a little metal logo plate that screws onto the top of the heat sink, screw holes at all 4 cornes. I could just find a fan that screws on the top of that to replace this loud beast. Wish I though of that before, I was trying to figure out how to get a matching little round fan it has in the sink.. which I couldn't find.

Just wish the NV44a supported turning the fan off at idle.. this guy does not need a fan at all idle(i.e. 35 deg C)

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    If you don't need anything hardcore, take passive 7300GT. I had it some time ago and it was a nice card. If you don't like old tech, check out 8500GT, also passive (XFX for example).

7. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    I'll watch out for those, don't need hardcore performance. 6200 does me fine. My FX5200 was too slow however. So the 6200 range is good.

The 7300GT is ok, but thats getting over what I wanted to spend, $50...

(see'ing as I may have just wasted some bucks on this cooler...)

Well, you get what you pay for. I've been lax in building my own computer since the late 90s. Last computer I custom made was in 1997... just been slacking with Dell recently.

Ah in 1998(??), I made 32 boxes for a school .... didn't have much cash, but got(times 32)

FIC PA 2007 mb
    IDT WinChip 200
    AAVID Socket 7 Cooler(great heatsink/fan... by the way)
    Crucial 32meg 60ns Ram
    TNT2 Graphics(one year later add on)

The above 5 made an great system for cheap. Could have got cheaper ram, but at the time, the only good ram supplier IMHO was Crucial.(I snuck in some 50ns Ram for myself... I did pay for it myself , but got a discount...)

Note, the above system, minus the IDT WinChip now with a Pentium 233mmx, is running behind me as a firewall+dmz. Got two 3c905c's pumping away.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. J.B.

J.B. Member

If you're only getting 70°C under load then why do you want a fan?

9. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    I'd rather keep things cooler than that. If I can get a nice quiet fan to help cool, I will. The current cheap loud fan keeps the GPU 25 deg cooler at loads, even if that is still under 70C which isn't too hot. I'd love a simply quiet fan that "almost" do the same thing.

Basically, I am not in the market for a new computer or hardware, and feel like messing with my box. So I'm trying to figure out things to tweak/play with.

10. J.B.

J.B. Member

I see, nice way of putting it. If you're getting interested in silent computing have a look at silentpcreview.com. The two most basic rules are: don't cool when you don't need to and get the hard disks quiet by building some kind of suspension/damping system. Have fun.