Guru3D's Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 review

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    nice review, just got done reading it. i wish all products were as predictable on release as this product is.

but would have liked to see more openAL gaming like stalker openal eax,doom3 openal eax4, maybe quake wars demo would have been cool.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  3. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Only up to page 4 so far but you might want to inform Brann that what he saw in the Vista sound control panel is completely normal. All you do is click on the one you want to use (that says "currently unavailable") and then click on Set Default, and then you can use it.

4. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Brilliant review with just the right amount of subjective mixed with objective. I take my hat off to Brann and guru3d.

5. Brann Mitchell

Brann Mitchell Member Guru

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    Thanks for the kind words, Nutyo, I appreciate it very much! I always mis-underestimate how much work one of these things take, so thanks.

And thanks for the gaming suggestions, Terrorizor. I usually test with games that I think will show what the hardware is capable of in both performance and sound production/design. I chose Bioshock over the Doom3-engined games because it's a new engine, and we pretty much understand that with the Doom3 engine, EAX was pretty much crowbar'd into it as a patch.

As far as Vista goes, I think it's still in a pretty sorry state as far as audio goes. But, thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
    Brann

6. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    seemed like a good review

Why didn't you test analog output during DVD playback on the Prelude? Just curious as we know using the digital out bypasses the DACs. :cool:

Either way it's good to know my LM4562'd X-Meridian is still king in the area I have it working in (music + movie playback in a HTPC)

7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Is this the only X-Fi card with a heatsink?

Its sad, isn't it. Some of my racing games sound absolutely terrible on Vista. As if its muddy stereo.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  8. Brann Mitchell

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    I did. In fact, the only mode that all three cards could do with DVD was analog out. The X-Fi can't (easily) do digital out, the X-Meridian, take your pick, and the Prelude, well I can't exactly test features that aren't there yet. I'll update the review to reflect that it is only in analog mode, unless where noted.

Thanks,
    Brann

9. Rathbone

Rathbone Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    I would like to discuss:

Entertainment Mode with Crystalizer (Upsampling 24Bit/96kHz)

vs.

Audio Creation Mode with bit-matched playback

I am watching my DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blurays currently with Crystalizer 50% and there is a HUGE improvement in sound quality (you can enable/disable on the fly and notice the difference). Has anyone compared if bit-machted sounds similar, better oder worse? You cannot enable it on the fly, so it's a bit difficult to compare.

10. Satan

Satan Guest

GPU:
    some
    Great review! I love my baby ^^

11. Brann Mitchell

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    This was discussed back in the X-Fi XtremeMusic review, actually. The Chryslerizer is basically a multi-band dynamic range compressor, working at 24 bit/ 48 KHz with added equalization for extra bass and treble. The technology is used extensively in broadcast radio where most people listen in noisy environments.

So, basically, if you like the effect, leave it on. No harm done. If you're a purist, you'll quickly find the bit-matched playback and enabled it. Me? I'm a musician and a purist. On average I spend about 10 hours learning and performing a song before recording it, which takes another 2-3 hours. Bit-matched is closest to how it was played.

You can read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_level_compression#Multiband_compression

An example of the hardware for broadcast radio:
    http://www.orban.com/

12. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    The review was a great read. The card rocks all. Finally put together a real sound system. As in no computer made speakers (logitech, creative come to mind). I basically have a marantz amp with some B&O speakers in my livingroom, which is worth a fair few bob. But this card coupled with some B&W signature sound diamond speakers (yes cost a fortune) really destroys my livingroom setup, and that is a full 5.1 home theatre setup. This card has really great output and puts my marantz amp to shame, which really sucks as that was my pride and joy.

One thing I would love to see in sound card reviews is testing them with a REAL, hi end audiophile system. I wasnt sure myself how it would sound (a music lover rather then gaming/movies being a priority. My livingroom is the master of all things movie related) coming from the prelude soundcard. But wow if any of you have a serious sound setup hooked up to your comp, this card put my x-fi xtreme music to shame in the music department.

13. Rathbone

Rathbone Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX2070
    hmm, but dynamic range compression is usually a bad thing, isn't it? I played around with the dynamic range settings in PowerDVD once and noticed that with compressed dynamic range sound is indeed louder and more direct, but somehow flat and muddy. So I went back to full dynamic range. Should I compare again and search for the same issues with Crystalizer enabled?

I just finshed watching Silent Hill HD-DVD with bit-matched playback enabled. Sounded very nice indeed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  14. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    hmm nice revew but its not comparing the Prelude VS the XFI

15. Brann Mitchell

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    If you are referring to the subjective tests on pages 11 and 12, then that's correct. My question to you is, what would be the point? Once it was established (pretty early on, too) that the XtremeMusic could not compete in terms of sound quality, I went with the nearest competitor, the X-Meridian.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    This has been discussed a few times. NONE of the CL cards even comes close to the Prelude.

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I'll say, but my only dissapointment as was the same when I first got Soundstorm then Audigy 2 ZS then the Prelude. The first few days I was blown away with each sound chip, but after 2 - 3 days of use I get so use to it you think/hear none the wiser.

I'm always blown away when I hear the difference after it's been setup.

18. popej

popej Member

RMAA measurements are very disapointig. It seems that Azuentech is unable to get expected performace from top quality converters. Soundcards with similar hardware can get over 10dB dynamic range more. See for example Emu 0404 or Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.

19. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    well was more looking Prelude VS XFI Fatality, Elite Pro, high end Xfi not the low end Extreme Music

20. Brann Mitchell

GPU:
    Ah, the sweet spot.
    I do work very hard to get the cleanest numbers that I can. What I ask you to realize is that because there are so many variables in testing with RMAA 6, you probably shouldn't directly compare my RMAA numbers with any other RMAA numbers. This means that anything from what kind of PSU on what mains power, to what version of USB driver Windows decides to install can have an impact on RMAA.