ForceWare 162.50 3D Stereo Driver

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. lall

lall New Member

3D Stereo with 8800 GTS

More than a half year without 3d stereo on my 8800 GTS system came to an end !! :ying: With the new 162.xx stereo drivers 3d imaging (shutter glasses) works perfect, the cubes in the direct3d test routines (dxdiag...) are perfect in 3dstereo whitout any artefacts.
    The NV 3dtest program and gaming (MS FSX f.e.) show still ghosting (remaining pixels closed to recently moved parts of the image). Have I to wait for further improvements of the driver or can I fix that by driver settings (I tried a lot whitout success...)

3. blackrat

blackrat Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD5850
    Does anyone know if the new driver works with the E-D 3D glasses with TFTs.

I konw that it is working, but with much ghosting. Because E-D changed their glasses a bit to make it compatible with TFTs, this has to be taken in account in the Nvidia driver, too.

4. Somian

Somian Member

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce GTX280
    doesn't work for me, I have a 8800 GTX; but the 162.50 Drivers are only available for Quadro FX Cards =/ If I Install the Stereo 3D drivers, I can't activate the Red/Cyan Mode. This even works with my old GeForce 4 MX 440. I wanted to buy a HMD a year ago, and got a GF8 cuz only nVidia supports Stereo 3D. But then, there were no new drivers for it, and nvidia doesn't have customer support. With the Red/Cyan mode I just want to make sure, the Stereo 3D works, before I buy the HMD.

5. Hishuro

Hishuro Member

GPU:
    HD 4870 1gb (dead)
    I have these drivers also. Have a 6800 Ultra using a CRT monitor. Don't really know what i'm missing.. but I can't get these to work. Thought the stereo drivers were supposed to show up on the list in the control panel but they don't for me. Also don't know if I it's what I need but also tried the E-D activater and all it does is add "lines" to the monitor nothing else.. tried all the diff options and they all just add lines to the monitor.

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    The first thing to do is to make sure that you are using a matching pair. Meaning the 162.50 stereo, with the 162.50 forceware driver. Then, switch to the classic view of the drivers because i think the new ones still don't show the stereo. (Could be mistaken though)

7. MuseumDave

MuseumDave New Member

Hi - you are correct Glidefan you do have to have the classic view. I am having a couple of problems which I am hoping someone can help me with. I have the EMagin Z800 HMD, using frame sequential stereo. Have previously been using a GEForce 7600S with the 91.31 drivers - fine running Vizard routines in stereo. I now have a GEForce 8800 Ultra and have loaded both the 162.50 generic and stereo drivers. I am using them to tour through a model rendered in real time using Vizard (if you are familiar with that). When the NVidia test application is run it shows ok in stereo - though there are intermittent black jagged bits that appear in the image - anyone any thoughts what may cause that? More importantly, when I launch the Vizard routines with stereo diabled they work fine. With stereo enabled however, they crash - anyone any thoughts? Finally I am thinking of possibly using a Quadro FX3500 as Vizard will support the hardware quad buffering directly - does anyone have any knowledge of how the 3500 compares speed wise with the GEForce 7600GS and 8800 Ultra - our model is pretty big and judders a bit with the 7600 - fine in non stereo with the 8800. Thanks in advance for any help.

8. redddevil

redddevil New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8500GT
    I have installed 162.50 quadro + guru 3d equivalent for my 8500GT but just falls over as soon as I try and display the test image or use any kind of 3d. I get the dreaded STOP 0x000000EA message to which the soluton is to 'switch to the latest drivers' - not v. helpful!
    Perhaps I should downgrade my graphics card...

9. mbash41

mbash41 New Member

GPU:
    Foxconn 8800gtx
    slightly confused

I own a pair of ED shutter glasses and would like to use them again with my 8800gtx card and new puter. I have a couple ques. about the new 3d stereo drivers..162.50. How do you switch to "classic view"? in the nvidia control panel? And to change the registry do you just right click on "ContextUIPolicy" then "Modify" then change "value data" to 1 ?
    Furthermore is all this even worth it...can I play Doom3 again, CoD4...?

10. Vico87

Vico87 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    Hi,

is it important to have the same driver and stereo driver versions?
    I have the ED glasses and use 169.21 with the 162.50 stereo drivers. Before buying the glasses I sometimes used the anaglyph mode with older drivers (presumably 91.33 + 91.31 official stereo, as far as I can remember) and had no issues. Now when the stereo driver is enabled (either with or without hotkey) many games crash or cause BSODs.
    Some examples :
    - Broken Sword 4 worked fine before, now BSOD
    - WoW crashes, only hardware reset works
    - SC: Pandora Tomorrow causes BSOD
    - Evil Genius causes BSOD, ....
    :help:

Are the mismatching driver versions causing this, or is the 162.50 stereo driver less compatible than the 91.31 official?

@mbash41 :
    Install the stereo drivers, then open the regitry editor. Go to the given key, and either double click, or right click -> modify and set "value data" to 1, finally press OK. Reboot, and now you should see the stereo 3D options in the display properties like before the series 90 drivers (right click on the desktop -> properties -> last tab -> advanced button -> the tab with your gfx card's name -> the button on the left that says something like "other settings" or "other options" -> in the list there are entries referring to the stereo options)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008

11. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Well whenever i tried running two different version of drivers, i never got them to work.

12. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    You actually got your 8800 to work in stereo? Please tell me how because I thought it was impossible was pissed because of it.

13. Vico87

Vico87 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    Hmm.....

Just reverted to 91.47 + 91.31 stereo (couldn't find 91.33 international version, so I picked the 91.47 international WHQL).
    Changes I noticed (compared to 169.21WHQL + 162.50stereo) :
    - Fable : less compatible, menus not in stereo, 162.50 was way better (menus appeared right at monitor depth, and were readable)
    - SC: Pandora Tomorrow : doesn't cause BSOD anymore, but there's practically no difference between stereo and normal mode
    - Evil Genius : no more BSOD, nice stereo effect, but not the type of game which looks best in stereo
    - WoW : crashes, like with 162.50
    - Beyond Good & Evil : same problem as with 162.50, the image for one eye freezes to the one displayed at the moment of enabling stereo (this game could be awesome :()
    - Broken Sword 4 : no more BSOD, but the effect is sometimes very good, sometimes extremely bad :(

The mismatching driver versions must have caused the problems I experienced with 162.50 stereo.
    Is it possible to know when the next version of the stereo drivers will be released?

Is it possible to edit the games list in the stereo driver properties? Adding games, and changing settings for existing games in the list?

14. mbash41

mbash41 New Member

GPU:
    Foxconn 8800gtx
    Ty

Thank you vico for making that clear...But I will not attempt at this time. I finally have a stable platform that runs great, and it seams to me that Nvidia doesnt care to make a proper stereo drivers for us 8000 series owners, or its just impossible to do. I will continue to check this forum and keep myself updated on you brave souls who attempt making this work:)

15. Vico87

Vico87 New Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 6600GT
    OFF:
    Continued testing the older drivers and found a rather interesting glitch : I launched the test app and it started without stereo effect (wtf?) so I hit the hotkey to enable it, which did its job, but when I tried to quit using the ESC key ... BSOD !!!!!
    By the way I always get STOP 0x0000008E, which is then logged as 0x1000008E (wtf?).

About nVidia : why can't they make new official, thoroughly tested, WHQL certified stereo 3D drivers? I mean they know the hardware, the "normal" drivers, have the skills to do it, so why not ?!

ON:
    Although I experienced serious compatibility issues with 162.50 (I will test it with ForceWare 162.50 later to see if that solves it), the few games that worked had good profiles. Fable was beautiful, and the menus were not divided between the two images, but always at monitor depth, when hitting ESC the pause menu disabled stereo, exiting the menu to the game reenabled it, that's a very good job. I also find that the effect was better with 162.50 (better profile?).
    There are more profiles in 162.50 than 91.31, which is a great thing.
    To wrap up, my first impressions about Stereo 162.50 :
    + Profiles
    - Compatibility (will be tested more thoroughly)

16. Slybri

Slybri New Member

Hey guys, first post here.

I recently purchased a VR920 HMD. I have a 8800 GT and XP and I'd like to view my games in 3D.

From reading forums and posts I gathered 2 different things:

1. There are no stereo drivers for the 8800 series.

2. The 162.50 drivers and 162.50 stereo drivers work on the 8800 series:

"More than a half year without 3d stereo on my 8800 GTS system came to an end !! " ....lall

I tried installing the 162.50 driver pair and it tells me they are incompatible with my hardware.

SO, How do I get the 162.50 forceware and stereo drivers, which are only for the quadro cards, to work on my 8800 gt, as others have seemed to be able to do?

Thanks~!

17. TommyNL

TommyNL Member

GPU:
    ATI HD3870X2 1GB
    hey, my firdt post ever here,

I recently digged up my shutter glassen and wanted to try playing UT3 with it. but the 93.31 driver were to old so i downloaded the new 1.
    But when i try something in stereo mode it workes perfectly. but when i leave from stereo mode, y monitor gets black and it sais it can't handle the resolution.(like 1280x960 @120hz).
    when i press the reset butten the motherboard sais my cpu has changed and when i get back in windows everything workes good again.
    but the second time i tryed it, my resolutin didnt get back after a restart and i could change it at all, safe mode could figure what grapischs card i had so i reinstalled the drivers but what can i do that this never occurs again?

(yes a long boring story with a lot of grmmatical mistakes, dont bothe pls)

18. iamcanadian2

iamcanadian2 New Member

your crashes are probably due to the 162.50 drivers I had so many i was getting pretty discouraged.But with the video card you have the 7900, use the 97s find them at guru. I have not good success but perfect stereo with them with no crashes what so ever and dont have to turn off multi core . their a bitch to install because you need the new inf.file for the install .but if you want stereo with what you have thats the only ones that will work for you.

19. lall

lall New Member

feed back

Hello,

I've got a 8800 GTS card with a Dualcore Intel Processor. These 162.50 drivers are working. Very important are the changes in the registry (see other posts in this forum) to get the stereo panel visible, in order to enable the stereo mode and adjust the refresh frequencies to fit your CRT (!) monitor capabilities.
    With a smaller stereo separation compared to the older drivers it's a good stereo effect with some artefacts in games. Looking at *.jps pictures, the D3D test cube or videos works perfect.

Cheers

lall

20. gtaylor37

gtaylor37 New Member

GPU:
    2 8800 gt 512 in Sli
    I have almost the exact situation as Slybri. I have searched the forums for a step by step description of how to make the quattro drivers work for 8800 series geforce. maybe I missed a sticky or something. I am noob here so please bear with me. I am trying to get my vr920 to work in xp sp2 32 bit. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008