I can't find info to unlock ATI 9550 8pp

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by travma, Aug 29, 2007.

1. travma

travma New Member

I have 9550 AGP 128bit (RV350) with 128MB DDR, 4pp.
    Catalyst 7.8, XP pro sp2, Rivatuner v2.03.
    The overclocking section "Enable low-level hardware overclocking" is working OK.
    I double click the "PatchScripts\ATI\SoftR9x00\SoftR9x00 w2k.rts".
    I select "force RADEON 9500 capabilities" and change a copy of my ati2mtag.sys taken from drivers folder.
    I replace the original ati2mtag.sys in every location I have found it, with the Total Commander (dllchache, ReinstallBackups, system32\drivers) and I check twice against the modified version using compare by content. The system now correctly loads the modified version.

But the Rivatuner states only 4pp, and the sliders in the overclocking section goes back to the original location (eg. before oc) after I successfully pass the "Test" and when I hit the Apply button. Also the benchmarks is the same as the original unmodified no-oc results.

So, I uninstall-reinstall catalyst and rivatuner but the oc sliders continuous to go back the the original no-oc position.
    I also install the driver after I modified the (ati2mtag.sy_) in the ATI\support\7-...\driver\sp_inf\.. folder as the faq says and found that does not help me either. Do I have to rebuild the driver database?
    Am I missing something?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You physically cannot unlock your card. There is nothing locked in RV3xx chips, sorry.

3. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

9550 doesn't belong to the 9500 family; it is simply an underclocked 9600 card. 9600's all have only 4 pipelines if you must know.

4. travma

travma New Member

Yes, I have one 9600XT it is a RV360 chip 128bit with 256DDR AGP. I try to unlock it sometime.

Can you help me with the oc sliders problem? I install a geforce card and when I re-install the 9550 the problem with the sliders continues.

5. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

Does this problem with the sliders kick in on vanilla Catalyst drivers as well? Also, I have to tell you, you'll be wasting your breath attempting to unlock pipelines on 9600XT because there's nothing to unlock there.

6. travma

travma New Member

Yes. I try both 7.8 and 7.7 series with same results. I think rivatuner must place hidden values in registry or some files, because unistalls does not solve the issue.

Can you tell me where the value or files are placed to delete them?

7. Unwinder

Use search and RTFM! It is not an issue of "hidden values in registry or some files", it is your misunderstanding of overclocking.

8. Unwinder

9. Stranded Witch

Stranded Witch Member

i'll be bet tavma isn't using PB so 2.03 should work for him once he sets ProtectMMIO to 0.

10. travma

travma New Member

I allways read the manual cause I'm a professional programmer too. I switch back to v2.02 and it work as the SysTool v1.0 build 730. To your wonder I sell a new x1050 card just yesterday at 47 euro and I can't find cheaper with the same speed in benchmarks. People came here and ask allways for a cheap AGP card for that "celereon 2.5 with onboard VGA" they have to play some not so new games with low display settings at 1024x768. I guess, there are more poor people in many countries. We don't have to sorry for what we became any more.

11. travma

travma New Member

Not tavma, wound = travma in Greek, and you won a virtual bet. I'm not so imprudent to use (and pay) PB games, just to play with 9550 even overclocked, BF2142 or CoD2 with low settings with lag and stutter.