Is my PSU Holding Me Back?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ERGLupin, Aug 25, 2007.

1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    You should listen to this guy :D

Dell would never send out a machine with a component too weak to provide enough power to something inside of it.

2. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
    Argh! SO many conflicting opinions! If its not the PSU then why am I getting such **** results on games and 3DMarks?

3. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
    Well, I changed out the Ram from the default DDR2-667Mhz they sent me with some PNY 800Mhz. Just turned out to be misclocked to 667Mhz so I had to RMA it. Still got the same results.

4. aircool

GPU:
    Cough cough vista cough.....?

Vista a lone wont help scores let alone 64bit.

5. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Exactly, I get around 400-500 points less in 3dmarks on vista but games are getting very close to what there were in XP

plus like allready stated that PSU cant be much good, id reccomend a decent branded one.

6. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
    I said I tried it on XP and there was only a few hundred point difference.

7. Haruk

Haruk Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra 768 MB
    I meant the software and stuff they put on it, unless you already got rid of it. I honestly didn't take that big of a hit on 3dMark on vista, maybe about 500 points, so I don't think that's the main problem

8. gsxrjunkie

gsxrjunkie Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG gts250oc
    i have the rosewill 500 watt power supply and its running my setup over a year without any problems

9. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
    Oh yeah. It came with Home Premium 32bit and I installed Ultimate x64 the day I got it. Now, Im on XP and I got a 600 point increase compared to Vista. I swear, last nite it wasnt that much. Now Im only about 450 points behind the VGA Chart. Which could be contributed to PSU I assume. I forgot how much I miss XP. Im so tired of all that Aero BS of Vista. But I digress, its nice to hear someone comment on the quality of the Rosewill brand.

10. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    There not a horrible brand but i would put abit more money towards the PSU and get something with a more well-known brand.

Have a look at the Thermaltake Toughpower series as there great for the price

11. aircool

GPU:
    I doubt its the psu, im guessing drivers and general dellness performance wise.

You cant sell a machine that wont perform as it should.

12. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
    What do you mean general dellness? I just ran the Airborne demo on that fresh XP install and OMG it was like ****ing night and day compared to Vista. It played like you would expect a console game too aka solid framerate never dipping. If it wasnt for the fact that Crysis is promising so much with DX10 and 64bit I would probably just scrub the Vista install since my XP is only on 10GB and see's itself as "H". Oh well, I will just work around it I guess.

13. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    You do know that the E 6800 scores around 450 more points than the E6600 in the cpu tests, and that the tests in the VGA Charts were performed with an E6800 right?

14. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
  15. contrvlr

contrvlr Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570HD
    Either way, at 10200 your score is on the mark for your hardware, and the other problems you mentioned are being had with 750 watt power supplies as well.

16. ERGLupin

ERGLupin Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB
    Well, like I said, now Im on XP for the first time with this rig I will never go back to Vista. Bioshock never slowed down once nor did Medal of Honor. XP is just such a finally tuned system after 2 SPs and a 3rd one coming up, I guess I shouldn't of been so anxious to be an early adopter. Not to mention I forgot how fast everything opens and closes <.< Viva la XP

17. aircool

GPU:
    Good find!

And also he is comparing a single part of a benchmark.