OMG 360 bioshock @ 60fps

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by gh4stly, Aug 23, 2007.

1. gh4stly

gh4stly Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx970 g1 gaming 1599mhz
    in the options their is a setting to unlock the framerate in exchange for screen tearing.
    the tearing sucks but you get used to it after 10 min. (most ex pc gamers here are used to it anyway).
    now it plays at around 45-60fps and i have yet to see it dip below 45 (yes, i have very keen eyes)
    the game looks amazing. BEHOLD THE POWER of Xenos!

2. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    Neat. You must have alot of time on your hands.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lol, 360 owns. I opted for the PC version tho because I prefer mouse + keyboard. But nonetheless, the 360 version is cool...

4. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    The human eye cannot discern anything above 25~30... you cannot tell the difference between 45 and 60.

5. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    I must be a gifted person then coz I could see the difference in framerate between 40's and 60's very easily lol. What I can't see is the difference between 61 and above

Why do people keep saying that humans cannot tell the difference above 30fps? Play something like quake 3 today and compare to, um halo on the xbox. Don't tell me you can't see the difference in framerate between the 2 lol.

Back on topic, yeah I'm lovin the unlock framerate thing too. Still not as high framerate as the bioshock demo on my pc, but its better than nothing. The only thing I hate about it is when you're near a flashing TV screen, or when lights start flashing onscreen, it looks like the whole TV is flickering (this is really noticeable in the begiinnung while the splicer attacks the batisphere you're in)

6. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    I think this is a better PC game. With all the plasmids and just the gameplay is much easier with a mouse and keyboard. I think it would be hard to aim all these plasmids with the 360. And it would piss me off if i missed.

7. gh4stly

gh4stly Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx970 g1 gaming 1599mhz
    lol, you humor me with your "human eye" theory.
    no seriously, i haven't laughed so hard since i saw that family guy episode where Peter's tits got exposed on the bull rider machine.
    funny stuff.
    but you might want to do a bit more researching as i can see the difference quite clearly.

8. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    It also depends on what you are looking at - fast moving objects with bright lights will definatly highlight the difference in frames per second

9. carlo247

carlo247 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 9800GTX+ SLI
    I think your eyes are weak, i can tell the diffrence beetween:
    23 - 30fps
    40 - 60 fps
    60+ - 100fps.

I know many other can also tell the difference.

10. tomgreen321

tomgreen321 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD6870
    Keep it locked, seriously. The physics are locked at 30(even the PC version) so going over, things look jerky.(smack some signs around and stuff, it looks like the Halo PC port when running over 30fps). Pretty sloppy game so far, but still amazing.

11. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Well you all obviously have magic eyes, but science doesn't believe you.

12. Xercerra

Xercerra Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GTX 512MB @ 690/1740
    why spend a load of your money on a rig that'll rock every game well over 100fps when all your saying you need is 25-30fps. someone is wasting their money ;)

13. bahamut

bahamut Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 8800GTS (G80) @ 600/1800
    http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

^ might be worth a read, movies do not have the same rules applied to their framerate as games due to the way some frames are blurred in films. The article is fairly simple and explains it pretty well.

14. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    Please god, let this myth die. Please.

15. ogheeren

ogheeren Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 8800 GTS 512 760C/1900S/2100R
    Of course it is a myth that with 24 fps any motion is fluid, very well explained in the article posted by bahamut.
    But it is a myth too that anyone here can look at a motion picture and can tell how many frames you are looking at, this is simply nonsense too. You can tell this is faster or slower (or to be more exactly, one thing looking better or worse) but noone here can tell from a picture its speed. This depends on the scene, display etc...
    If you can still see a diffrence:
    1. Call a doctor
    2. Use less drugs
    :approval:

16. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I hate when people say your eyes cant see above 30fps.

Yes you can.. i decided to ask an optrician your eyes can see in the ranges of hundreds even thousands of "frames" per second. Your brain just cant process it as fast as you can see it. for the most part, you dont see in frames. more like how much data your brain can process thats being sent from your eyes in miliseconds, "or nano seconds even"
    Any infomation your brain doesnt or cant process in time, just gets discarded as if it was never sent.

But each persons brain is different, some people have faster brains. "i can go into details of why, but i wont, to long of a read"
    But those with faster minds can see the difference. I can easily tell the difference between a crt monitor set at 85hz, from 100hz.
    As well as games that have as little difference as 85fps and 100fps. though i personally cant tell the difference from 130fps and 150, i can do 100 from 130, but 130 is about my max, any faster and i just dont see it.

everyone is different.

17. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    I can see the difference from 30 - 60fps. Anything over 60fps all the way upto around 100 I can "feel" as im playing a game.

18. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Haha Psytek has noobie eyes. Noobie eyed noob.

jks :p

19. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    OK, that's it, I'm taking this myth to Mythbusters. Of course I assume you guys will still argue no matter what they find. I know they aren't scientists, but still.

Where is this scientific information that states it's impossible for me to tell the difference after 30FPs? Please, give me a link. I'd like to see what basis they have on this.

Even if I can't "see" the difference I sure as hell can still tell the difference. It's not just about what I can see, it's about what I can feel. Mouse movement is a big key in telling the diffence between framerates. Lower framerates means less reaction time in the game. In other words, the lower the FPS, the bigger the difference between moving my mouse and the cursor moving on the screen. Other things can affect it as well, but FPS always affects it.

BTW, how can you tell it's not dipping below 45FPS on your TV? AFAIK they don't have a built in framerate display in the game. I know that after I changed my video settings that I didn't dip below 30 FPS, possibly higher than that since I wasn't really paying attention to it. I only knew that cause I had FRAPS running.

20. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I admit that sometimes a game might not play 'smoothly' at 25-30 fps, but there are times when games feel slow even when I'm getting 100+ fps, I think its more of a game specific thing. Whereas fps is simply a measure of how hard your graphics card is working.

I mean, a screen or TV with a 60Hz refresh rate isn't going to output more than 60fps anyway.

Regardless of how amazing 'you' think your eyesight is, I refuse to believe that you can tell the framerate of a console game just by looking at it.