BIOSHOCK Max out in 8800Ultra, all candy lit up :D

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by chispy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    how did i ever buy ps3 instead of 8800 ultra , ps3 is good for nothin , the only thing im usin my ps3 now is to play dvd movies, its a terrible gamer sin, plz forgive me lord

2. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Totaly missed that... will check at home, thanks.

3. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    IMO, I think the widescreen is just about right for the game. I believe it was designed for 16x9 (since the 360's native res is 1280x720) so what you see in widescreen is what the devs intended. Using 4:3, the devs just added more to your view at the top and bottom of the screen to I guess make things easier on their part while developing the game.

Why I say this is because the game looked natural as I played it on my widescreen tv with my 360. When I tried it on my pc was the only time I noticed a different fov. Also, the part when you first encounter big daddy and the little sister in the beginning, it looked weird that I could see the lil sister's eyes as she was examining you coz in the 360, you could'nt see them which adds to the immersion for me (I think its better to save how some characters look like for later). Also, I can't really think of a first person shooter that shows as much as the player's sleeves while you play

4. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    Sry for offtopic , I have the same feeling.. Im not sure to buy a NEW gaming rig or not.. Then sell my PS3

5. rakesh27

rakesh27 Member Guru

GPU:
    VTX Radeon HD 7990
    Very true,

I thought you would need a beefy system to play Bioshock or even Lost Planet EC, oh how thats not true.

I know my resolution aint great its cos my 28" Digital Widescreen Television (used as monitor, no room) only supports this, anyways im running the game at 1024*768@120hz all maxed out, and surprisingly enough it runs really good.

When i first started it up i relised this is way better then the X360 version , it just looks so much crisper and more detailed. As people before me said you dont need a beefy system to play this.

6. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    I have to say, I didn't really notice anything was up while playing in widescreen mode until I read the bitching afterwards.

While on paper it might sound annoying, in all honesty it doesn't make a difference at all. It doesn't compromise your immersion, it doesn't make the game feel unreasonably difficult, and it still looks absolutely beautiful. Those saying they won't play the game because of it are veritably mad.

Also, this interesting image was posted in another thread:

[​IMG]

From this we can deduce that at least on this machine, 162.22 actually offers superior performance to the optimised 163.44 drivers. Of course, 163.44 might actually look better if the shaders have been optimised, and there might be graphical glitches in 162.22. Still probably best to go with 163.44.

But more interestingly, and this backs up what I've been preaching on Guru3D for ages now, there's an almost negligible difference between the DirectX 9 an DirectX 10 performance on an 8800: about 2 fps. The difference isn't too massive on the other cards either. As I thought, just like with past versions of DirectX, as long as the code is written properly with the latest API in mind there's no reason for it to perform significantly worse (apart from the obvious slowdown incurred from having more advanced shaders).

The disproportionate slowness (Despite looking the same!) we saw with the likes of Company of Heroes was simply, to put it bluntly, a hack job. BioShock was finally shown that the API does not mean there'll be massive performance loss, and is pretty much the same as DirectX 8, 7, etc were.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTX SLI @ 650/2000
    rrrriiiiight.....so it must be fooling me when it says 1680x1050 widescreen in the options menu then.....OK maybe you would like to enlighten us?

If it is 16x9 aspect ratio that you are talking about, consider that the VAST majority of widscreen monitors are of the 16x10 flavor.

8. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Here you go smart ass.

[​IMG]

This is from 360 btw. Same problem affects PC.

What they do is just CROP the original 4:3 image. Its a lame ass way to support WS, its not true Wide Screen.

Oh well, W S G F has made a fix for this already for PC, 360 players are out of luck.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    That image is from 2 different distances away from the object, of course in the further away one you are going to see more....smart ass....

10. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Another image, just for stupid trolls like you:

[​IMG]

The screens were taken from the same position... just FYI.

:puke3:

11. DES_MX

DES_MX Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    You didn't have to post this screenie man, from the last one you can see exactly what you mean, since the BORDERS of the TV are seen on both screenshots. meaning that no matter how much further you would stand or whatever the picture IS cropped. So nice job showing this anyway, i haven't noticed at first - now i'll keep a lookout for that fix. Do you perchance have any direct link? OR a link to the thread? Thanks!

12. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Phalanx, I feel it necessary to back these guys up. They're not lying; BioShock simply chops off the top and bottom of the screen off to make it fit into widescreen, and then moves the HUD up/down to compensate.

This is something a number of recent games have done, including Battlefield 2(142). In the case of Battlefield, they supposedly did it to equalise what everyone can see (I disagree with this). In BioShock... no real excuse.

But as I said above, in reality it doesn't really make a difference. It doesn't impede your enjoyment at all, and I have to say I think people are overreacting. I found the cropped experience very atmospheric, and as someone else said we could actually have it backwards; perhaps it was designed for widescreen since it's so common, and the 4:3 people get the top and bottom added so they see just as much sideways as widescreen users. :)

Food for thought.

13. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    http://www*************************com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11658

WTH guru3d is blocking links to other forums? ugh...

Check this thread out :smoke:

edit:

here's direct link:
    http://dl.tocaedit.com/bioshockdFOV.zip (as linked from WS GF)

14. Phalanx

Phalanx Banned

GPU:
    No problem, I wasnt aware of the issue, and from his screen shot it just looked like it was at 2 different distances.

15. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW

16. Killer7

Killer7 Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 88000GTS 320mb @ 600/1500/1900
  17. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Its called field of view, of course you get a bigger vertical field of view on a monitor with more vertical space.

18. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    why are u spanking that guy 3rd picture up hehe

u dirty guy

p.s. that aa looks amazin, i have never heard of QX what is this

19. ZiiiP

ZiiiP Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Hey ppl even I can max it out!! Whoahh. So cool! This is the only game where I don't mind having 15-20 FPS. :bigsmile: It's propably gonna run bettern on my Xbox 360. :)

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think Gaming on PC its alive again and kicking consoles behinds. Seems that this game its very well coded , thats great, so that everyone can enjoy it no matter your hardware.(unless you are running it on a Commodore )

Good Day.