RivaTuner and Battlefield 2142 PunkBuster

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by benniebeeker, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Good news, PunkBuster developers finally noticed the thread and contacted me. Hope that we'll come to some solution soon.

2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Thats excellent news. I wonder if this might help if there are any other compatibility issues with other PB games

3. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    Awesome! Good news man, please keep us posted. I think this will be a benefit for both sides since alot of people play PB protected games and use RT. Look forward to seeing what happens.

4. Tipton

Tipton Banned

Well that's good news. I think it's funny how I started the original thread on this issue, and everyone thought I was nuts. Now look how far it has gotten!!

Glad it's in the process of being fixed.

5. garcol

garcol New Member

GPU:
    EN8800gtx
    Yes Tipton, people said i was crazy too. I took Unwinders advice and dont use RT anymore. I loved it and hope that I can get back to using it again soon. You stuck with it and I had given up and moved on. Good job to all and again thanks Unwinder for keeping us informed and trying to figure it out.
    PB/Evenbalance has had more pains than just this item, maybe they really are listening?

6. Unwinder

Guys, I repeat the question I asked in post #136.
    I've already implemented 2 anti-PB features (protection against PB memory scanning (can be optionally disabled) and protected MMIO access mode (can be optionally enabled)). Any experienced RT user affected by PB's memory scanning wish to test it?

7. Dingchow

Dingchow Active Member

GPU:
    Palit+Evga 260 GTX SC Sli
    I summited a ticket to PunkBuster about the problems with RT and PB and they actually replied....

07/21/2007 08:35:55 - "Glenn Courington"
    Note #2: I apologize for the delay in a response.
    We are aware of the issue, and we are working to see if this can be alleviated.
    06/22/2007 21:24:38 - "Dingchow"
    Note #1: Ticket submitted to support staff.

Does not provide a fix but they are aware.

8. Slammy

Slammy Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7800GTX
    I dont know how experienced i would say i am with RT but i could give it a test spin in 2142.

9. Unwinder

Dingchow

Yep, I know that they are aware, however I'm not sure if fixed version of PB is planned to be released or if it will simply be documented in PB FAQ as incompatibility issue with no fix.

Slammy

Please give me your email via PM and I'll send you beta version of 2.03 and test instructions.

10. Unwinder

Guys, I need more experienced RT users affected by BF 2142 / PB issue for testing the protections which can potentially prevent PB from crashing the system.

11. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
    Might want to see if you can find anyone with any of the games (and RT of course) from this list,

http://www.evenbalance.com/

that are running client version 1.7xx (F.E.A.R. is one of them) and see if any of them are experiencing the same thing.

I would help if I could but I flat out refuse to install any game using Punkbuster that requires their new services (PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB) and driver (PnkBstrK.sys). Lets just say that based on past experience with PB updates (couple of years ago they caused all kinds of problems for Audigy users, and took over 6 months to fix) I wouldn't trust them to code their way out of a paper bag.

12. Unwinder

Bump...

Guys, I need more experienced RT users affected by BF 2142 / PB issue for testing the protections which can potentially prevent PB from crashing the system.

13. Unwinder

Unfortunately you're correct. There are also similar problem reports with Quake Wars, people are having hardware crashing problem if RivaTuner, PowerStrip or ATITool is running in background while playing this game with new PunkBuster client (1.7xx).

http://community.enemyterritory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5935&page=2

Evnenbalance are not only don't fix / document the problem but also spread it wider and wider :(

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  14. pilistorac

pilistorac Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI HD 5850@900
    Hm... I installed BF2142 three days ago and i played it 11 hours online (3-4 hours a day) without any issue ... i am using rivatuner 2.02 on xp sp2 pro with fan fixed to 80%. I used pb command i know from Joing Operations Typhoon Rising " pb_security 0 " nothing else. Or maybe i can expect problem to rise in time ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  15. Unwinder

Are you playing with RT residing in memory?

16. pilistorac

pilistorac Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI HD 5850@900
    Yes .. and in 13 hours of playing i had 2-3 punkbuster.exe errors (ilegal operations). I had lot of server switchings when pb crashed (play one for few minutes then exit and enter another one ... ) but i had no game freezings and i could continue game after close and enter again.

17. Unwinder

Weird
    Then you should be afected too. What PB client version are you running?

18. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I would glady test it beta 2.03 for u. we need to get to the bottom of this.
    I'm already in your beta testing database.

Also, is it possibly to add a option in the install to disable or enable various hardware scanning nethod? Or maybe a simply tab switch. Many people don't know about the power user setting or are simply to afraid to go into it.

19. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Doesn't this command line just somply disable pb? 0=off and 1=on?
    Thats y your game doesn't crash.

I can never play BF2142 and have RT open at the same time.

I'm using Vista32.

20. Unwinder

Finally a repsonse, thanks a lot, I was afraid that there are no BF 2142 players using RT left :) Please remind me your email via PM and I'll sned you 2.03 in the everning after returning to home from office.

Was thinking about that, but I guess that it woul be better to enable all anti-PB protections by default. And power users will be easily able to disable them via PowerUser tab.