A quick question about C2D and LGA775

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Mean_machine, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Mean_machine

Mean_machine Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme 6600GT 128MB PCI-E
    So I have this old Abit Ag8-3rd Eye mobo and I was wondering if it can take a Core 2 Duo CPU. I know my mobo and the C2D are both LGA775 but I heard somewhere it doesnt mean theyre compatible. So how do I know if it will work ?

On a sidenote, can the mobo take a 8800 series GPU ?

Thanks,

MeaN

2. warrior

warrior Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 295GTX 1792
    From what I gather from the web they support only the Prescott 775Processor and are not compatible with the Core 2, sorry..as for the 8800 series yes, they are compatible with any 16X PCIE Board but it would be extremely bottlenecked with the older processors...Just grab a Gygabyte Board for about $100 and you can get either a Core2 or Quad since they support both...My 965 has run both my E6600 as well as my new Q6600 great....

3. Mean_machine

Mean_machine Member Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I guess I will have to get a new mobo then! Hows the stock cooling on those C2D CPUs - very noisy ? Its recommended to get a 3rd party cpufan, right ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  4. asadl

asadl Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 ICEQ TURBO 512
    It surly is noisy and not that good in controlling the temps its better you get third party cooler for sure..

5. jrcallan

jrcallan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8600gts
    Think about the Abit AB9QuadGT motherboard -- it's $159 now on Newegg with a $40 rebate=$119. I have the board with an E6600 C2D and its Great! Also, its a 965 board and a really good overclocker.

I also got my $30 rebate back in about two weeks. I was really surprised. I think Abit is back on its game.

6. Mean_machine

Mean_machine Member Guru

GPU:
    I would if they shipped internationally.. I live in Finland so the options are somewhat limited