Company of Heroes and 8600GTS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by not1germ, Aug 1, 2007.

1. not1germ

not1germ Member

GPU:
    ATI x850 XT
    I guess I am a FPS gamer, since I mostly play Quake3 and 4.

I tried an RTS game – Command and Conquer (C&C), and liked it but wasn’t ready to spend $40 on it.

Now I heard about Company of Heroes : Opposing Fronts and that it was a good RTS game.

It seems like it is totally different from C&C in the sense that it is a WWII game, but is it basically the same in the level of play?

I mean after 2 hours of playing C&C, I felt like I could play the game and had fun, with Company of Heros, is it similar like that, or is it a game that takes day to get the hang of it?

The reason is that I was looking at getting a 8600 GTS card and I found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150227

It is around the same price for a similar card from eVGA and BFG, but it comes bundled with Company of Heroes – which is a $39 saving then if I buy the game separately, and if the COH is similar in skill, ease of picking it up and as entertaining as Command and Conquer then I am in!

Oh, the game bundle info is here:

http://xfxforce.com/web/viewFeature.jspa?featureId=1225845

I wonder when XFX will start bundling the girl with a card, then I would buy a pair!!

2. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

3. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    It's very different from C&C in the sense that it's much more serious and tactics play a much more important part in gameplay. The level of realism is way above C&C, for example, tanks have different hit zones and are more vunerable from attack at the rear, one tank would kill dozens of infantry without taking any damage whatsoever unlike C&C where it takes about 50 rockets to kill one machine gunner guy or enough basic infantry can swarm and kill a tank, that kind of thing, etc, but overall, on a basic level, yes it's very easy to get into if you play skirmish with the computer, and very good fun. Unlike C&C which is often mindless blasting and running massive forces together, COH is much more about tactics and management skill. But its still great fun and the firefights are 10x as cinematic, frantic and realistic as anything C&C can muster....

Still though....it's no Red Alert 95 :D

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    its very easy to learn and is probably the best RTS i have ever played, cant get enough of it

gameplay is very simple and its is more tactical than C&C, just do the tutuorial and that explains everything you need to know and then you should find your own style of pay

a single 8600GTS will not be able to play it in DX10 mode tho,(well it will but horribly low frame rates) remember that

5. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
  6. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Are you insane? That 8600GTS will not play COH in DX10 mode fairly well unless it is volt modded and has an extreme overclock (even then there are doubts). WAKE UP PEOPLE, the 8600GTS fell well below the mark most people thought it would hit. Quit living in dream land. You'd be better off buying a 7950GT or X1950XT and running it full out in DX9, rather than watching a slide show with that 8600GTS.

7. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    Damn, Burned!

8. basel

basel Master Guru

GPU:
    asus 580gtx 950/2200
    is anyone having slowdown, say 26 max fps in coh, cuz i do and im really pissed about it

9. Ryman03

Ryman03 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX260 OC
    If you had a 8600GTS then you wouldn't have any slowdowns at all!

haha I'm jk people, calm down, I know you all hate the 8600s.

10. Corrigan

Corrigan Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB @ 560/840
    THE. BEST. GAME. EVER.

Seriously, there are a few other candidates, but this is as good a RTS as you will ever play (bar the sequels :))
    The entire game oozes quality. It's intelligent, balanced, extremely good looking, and pure joy to play.

You need it.

11. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    The game is awesome. And difficult on the hard mode when you get to the upper levels of the game. I got stuck on level 16 the one where you defend the hill. Also a question how do you load a saved game from a different computer?

12. Corrigan

Corrigan Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB @ 560/840
    You need to copy the actual save files. Dunno which OS you run, but they should be too hard to find. Just have a look around programs/THQ/CoH etc, and you should find them.

13. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Gurus: We will not accept sucking products like 8600 GTS!!:bash:
    NVIDIA: Well, we have some 8800 GTS, and they are quite cheap...
    Gurus: Merchants...:O

14. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    Bet you didnt play more than 5 minutes of cnc 3 if at all, cause if you did you would know that all vehicles in cnc3 have the same "hit zones" and take different damage depending on what side they are hit from. EX. back takes most damage, followed by side. Frontal armor is the most armored part of the tank. (reading manuals actually does help). Also, infantry go to cover that is around them exactly like they do in COH, and take much less damage when in cover. Just because a huge green or yellow box doesnt appear next to men in cover doesnt mean it COH is the only game in the world with cover and different armored sides... If you played more cnc 3, especially ladder, you would also know that there is much more to the game than "mindless massing"... (barring the scrin mothership bs anyways)

Bottom line, both games are fun, and different enough to not overlap too much so playing both is not boring.

OP: I have a 8600 GTS on a fx57 box and it plays COH and cnc3 flawlessly on any res and medium/high settings. Do not listen to the people that just bash it, as it is not as bad as people say. If the 8600 GTS can play supreme commander on medium/high settings and 1280/1024 res, and do it well, i dont see what the problem is with it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

Agreed 100%. I'm not a big RTS gamer but this game is damn near perfect in every aspect and its easy to play.

16. javelin

javelin Member

GPU:
    asus 9280td ti4200 8x
    in the games tests I have read dx10 causes a huge drop in frame rates. even 8800gtx ultra under pressure.

17. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Uploaded the game from the other computer. Works. Just can't beat level 13.

18. Bill Kunert

Bill Kunert Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GS SC 747/1765/2160
    There is a COH playable demo available.