Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by crue7, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640

But doesnt removal of the EE chip provide better quality rendering for PS2 titles?

How much will the 80 gb version cost??

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you don't need the wifi, I would ebay up a 20 gb ps3, and swap the harddrive in it. :D

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    too bad not much games but hey..it is growing. i wait for LAIR and MGS4..even MGS4 is a good reason to buy PS3 ^^

4. Wanny

Wanny Guest

There will be tonnns of games.. meh.. where to start.

Killzone 2, MGS4, Unreal tournament 3, Uncharted Drake's fortune, Little big planet, Haze, COD4, FF series, GTA4, Assassin Creed, Silent hill 5, Resident evil 5, Turok, GT5, Socom...

Jesus, just buy a PS3.

5. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    I was on the ferge of getting rid of my PS3 but over the last 2 weeks I've changed my mind becuase of the futre of the console as well as great games.. COD 4 should tie me over for a while..

Many more titles , so ye PS3 go get it..

6. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    Well Call of Duty 4 will preferred on my computer. But games like silent hill 4 turok, assassins creed, GTA4.. ect are good for the PS3, PLus many man good games are only on the PS3 and not on the PC..

PS3 has blue-RAY that pretty much pays for itself right there.

7. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Good question about picking a unit up now. There are a couple of considerations to take into account. While Sony has stated that once the 60GB SKUs run out, then there will only be the 80GB SKU available for $600. However, I HIGHLY expect that come this winter, also when a lot of great exclusives are going to be released, we'll see a price drop back down to $500.

So, you can go for it now, but your console is going to be gathering a lot of dust till Q4 07, with only a few good titles to play until then. I would say that Q2 2008 and beyond is when the things are really going to take off; there will be tons of great exclusives, and the PS3 will be entering it's "golden age," that I expect to last for several years.

Based on what I've seen and heard, I strongly believe that Sony is going to knock the gaming public's socks off over the console's lifespan. I believe it will be something similar to how the PS2 lived; poor games and a high price in the beginning, but games that truly push the console's power to its limits, games that are FAR, FAR superior in terms of technology and gameplay, a huge installed base, cheap price, and finally a long life-span with great games still being churned out some 8yrs later. Like the PS2, the PS3 is slowly unveiling it's true power/potential, and it's quite a bit more than most folks, even the experts, expected it to be.

Bottomline:
    You can buy the 60GB version for $500 now, which would be a very good choice. That is assuming Sony has no intentions to drop the price of the new 80GB model THIS year, but I doubt that. Going by this assumptions, there's really no hurry right now, and there's very exclusives till Q4 (and mostly inferior cross-platform titles), so waiting until fall/winter this year might be a good gamble. Meaning, if you wait a bit longer, you might very well be able pick up the 80GB model for $500 this winter, and there will be an excellent library to choose from. I can't promise that Sony is going to drop the choice this year, but I'd bet my money on it. That being said, the price will most certainly drop in the first half of next year.

Hope that helps,
    Will

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007