Why do we in Europe pay so much?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jelle Mees, Jul 26, 2007.

1. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    your taxes are the reason you pay alot more then we do.

someone has to pay for your welfare programs for all those immigrates who are abusing it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Linux is from europe and its free x)

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Sadly enough that is so very true... people abuse welfare and health care here which raises taxes for everyone. But that is not the sole cause for high taxes, the politicians themselves waste literally hundreds of millions of dollars on themselves and get away with every year. Just in one go the former Prime Minister Jean Chrétien gave $100,000,000 of the country's money to his buddy and got away with it and that was just one case. The current Prime Minister is likely even more of a weasel.

4. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    22% for computer parts.

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    UK VAT is 17.5%

6. pmanipole

pmanipole Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    that is sick. after what they take out of your paycheck every week you guys are screwed.
    long live the USA.........

7. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    vat is 21% in ireland

Code:
    Value Added Tax 
    In most cases, VAT is 21%. 
    There are reduced rates of VAT of 4.8%, and 13.5%. 
    VAT is charged on assets and services in Ireland as well as on imports into Ireland. 
    The minimum turnover for registering with the VAT authorities is EUR 35,000 (for services) and EUR 70,000 (for goods). 
    VAT returns are made once every two months. In certain cases, it is possible to make a return once a year. 

Transactions that are Exempt from VAT
    The following products and services are exempt from VAT:

Export. 
    Health and medical services. 
    Children's clothing. 
    Insurance and banking services. 
    Food. 
    Agricultural fertilizers. 

Inheritance tax/gift tax

Tax is payable on an inheritance in Ireland, and on gifts. The tax is known as CAT (Capital Acquisition Tax). 
    When either the donor of the gift/the testator or the recipient of the gift/the heir is an Irish resident, the tax is also applicable to overseas assets. 
    The tax is payable at 20%, over and above the amount of the exemption. 
    The amount of the exemption varies between EUR 23,908 and EUR 478,155. 
    Generally speaking, the closer the relationship between the donor/testator and the recipient/heir, such as in the case of a spouse, son or daughter, the greater the sum exempt. 

Stamp Duty
    Stamp duty of 1%-9% is payable in the case of certain documents. The maximum rate of tax is 9%. 

Share Capital Tax
    Tax is payable at the rate of 1% on the increase or issue of share capital in a corporation. 

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    except for shoes, books and a few other things, my ex used to complain about the price of tampons, razors have the 12.5%( or 11% cant remember was changed a year or 2 ago ), but tampons have the luxury vat of 21% lol

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Lol, I personally just have a problem with the 15/14% tax here since other provinces pay only 6% and everything here before taxes costs a ****load more than it does a few kilometers south in the US. That and because I know a huge chunk of it is used by the politicians in the form of $100 bill toilet paper.

14% wouldn't be so bad if income tax didn't have a minimum of 35% or so last time I checked. For a while income tax for doctors was 50% minimum if they basically make anything close to a doctor's paycheck. Add it up, they'll at the very least take 35% out of what you make then charge 14% extra on each item you buy. There is a ton of other stupid things on top of that like car insurance which starts at around $400 a month for a male around age 18-25. I'm telling you, in the end of the day you get completely robbed in this province. And they're wondering why so many people are in debt, bah.

Want a GeForce 8800 Ultra here? No problem! That'll be $999.98 before breathing taxes!

Don't pay your breathing taxes here and they'll infect your tap water with strain O157:H7 of E. Coli bacteria. Sometimes they do that just for fun.
    Ontario has a motto: "Oxygen doesn't grow on trees! You have to pay for it!"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  10. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Tax aside, the cost of living reflects the price of goods in a country. While for me in the UK $200 is £100, i imagine if i were to spend £200 in the UK and then $200 in the US, i would probably get about the same amount of goods.

Of course this is different when you're talking about importing from another country and taking the exchange rates in to account especially online. But as for the cost of living i imagine it's about the same, it just looks so different from an world wide online point of view.

11. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Declare it as a gift.

12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Lol, that sux, but a lot of european countries are like that, and its all entirely relative, i got a quote for car insurance a few years ago for 2800Euro, WTF lol, just registered the car under my gf's name, and she got insured on it, then i put myself as a named driver on it, cost 850euro in total, grrr, crap like that annoys me
    I pay around 42% avg tax on everything i earn and as Wolfman said vat here is 21% and an Ultra here works out around $850-$950, feck it some places in dublin sell pints for $8-$9 and inflation is around 4-5%

13. (IRE)Wolfman

(IRE)Wolfman Guest

GPU:
    AMD 5700xt or 6700x
    I think the UK is the same as ireland

Tax is payable on an inheritance in Ireland, and on gifts. The tax is known as CAT (Capital Acquisition Tax).
    When either the donor of the gift/the testator or the recipient of the gift/the heir is an Irish resident, the tax is also applicable to overseas assets.
    The tax is payable at 20%, over and above the amount of the exemption.
    The amount of the exemption varies between EUR 23,908 and EUR 478,155.

lmimmfn

you must earn alot to pay that must tax,

it called PAYE, pay as you earn, i pay the lower tax because i only work 32 hours, and get crappy pay just under 10 euro_Or just over 13 dollars. And i still pay tax, and the WE get stupid other taxes on top of it.

I work in Mayo though i assume your in Dublin. Where wages are higher. But i like my fresh air ;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, its not bad now for a software job outside of the main cities, i ment that on avg though including the crappy PRSI of 4-5 %( which is illegal to tax gross twice in the EU, meh ) as anything between 18,000-30,000 is taxed at the lower 21% everything aboue is at 42%. Im actually in Westmeath, was in Dublin, for a few years alright, way too expensive, i would never work there again( fingers crossed ) but my gf works there, handy civil service number

Well sure youll be better off when the minimum wage increase kicks in( although those increases annoy me, no offence but all the shops etc. hike up the prices as soon as that comes into efect, increasing inflation and the circle is complete requiring another min wage increase etc. )

15. dt.

dt. Member

GPU:
    evga/8800gts/640mb
    move to the usa or make a european mobo lol.

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
  17. perera

perera Active Member

GPU:
    x800gto 512mb 580/1200
    Hmm. In brazil, where i live, you pay 2000 reais for a ps3, thats 1150 dollars. A 8800GTX costs at least 1900 reais, thats 995 dollars. A 5 dollar thermaltake fan that i saw, costs 50 reais.

18. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    Damn, and how many diamonds do you get with your ps3 or 8800GTX?

19. diogocv

diogocv Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD4850
    You say that because you're not in Brazil. Here a regular 8800gts, for example, costs about $770 - yes, 770 US dollars. =(

20. diogocv

diogocv Active Member

GPU:
    Saphire HD4850
    Perera, esquecesse de dizer que uma 8800 Ultra custa somente 2900 mangos hehehee.

He forfot to told you guys that a 8800 Ultra costs "only" U$ 1500 :O