X1950 PRO memory overclocking

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Mad Cow, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Is it possible to implement driver-level overclocking for this card that doesn't adjust memory timings? Currently, BIOS-level doesn't work and driver-level changes memory timings drastically, no matter what options I select.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No. "Driver level" means that the clocks are set by the Catalyst. And it always tunes timings after memory clock frequency change.

3. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Then will it be possible to get BIOS-level working?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Probably, but I need a card for that. I don't have RV560/RV570 (which have issues with BIOS-level o/c) to do that.

5. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Oh, I understand. Well I can't give up my card, but I really hope somebody does. The pros are becoming really popular and they overclock really well.

6. StealthBomber

StealthBomber Member Guru

GPU:
    Fully modded X1950GT
    You can use RaBiT to change the memory timings in realtime.

It's very easy to hardlock the card if you lower the memory timings, you will gain very little in terms of performance increase if any, a volt mod will very likely be needed to sustain higher clocks on those Samsung chips.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  7. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    You're not understanding the issue here. I don't need to lower timings, I need then to not rise automatically with an overclock. With a memory overclock the timings get raised so much that it actually lowers performance in most cases.

And as you can tell from my specs, I have my memory voltmodded but it's useless overclocking it ATM.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  8. davido6

davido6 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Rx5700xt
    you have vmoded you memory but only gone up i little bit i had 2 x1950 pro cards and i got the ultimate bios and flashed them both X1950 PRO core (640MHz) memory (1600MHz) with noi mv mod

9. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    First of all, that has nothing to do with the topic. Second, I can't flash the ultimate BIOS because my card uses a different PCB design, and third, the ultimate BIOS uses a much higher voltage, almost as high as my vmod. So you card was vmodded in a way.

But StealthBomber's post gave me an idea, it might work if I overclocked the memory, then opened the BIOS in RaBit and changed the timings back to stock values. I was able to do this using a hacked version of ATITool, but that version was old and couldn't overclock properly.