2900XT crashing system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Arriane, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Arriane

Arriane New Member

GPU:
    ATI 2900XT 512mb
    Hi, hope you don't mind me posting a question as im a newbie. I can't seem to find much information on the net about my problem, and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

I bought 2X sapphire 2900XT 512mbs this week, and since installing them I often get the screen freezing in windows, especially web browsing. And I get it when i'm alt-tabbing to windows in WoW, which never happened on my old 1950 pro. This is a screen freeze and the system locks up - I have to switch the PC off at the back.

I am currently running catalyst 7.5, after experiencing the issue in 7.4 as well. Initially I used 7.6 but this meant the cards would not run in crossfire, I don't know why, but the box wouldn't check in the crossfire section of CCC. I need crossfire or I can't play games in full gfx mode, which is why I bought 2 cards!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? and fixed it maybe? Any advice would be great. I have wondered if it's a deep rooted problem with my windows, and have considered upgrading to Vista with a fresh install / format of my HDs. Though this never happened once on my 1950 pro.

Some more infos - I can run WoW for hours, or any other game as far as I know without experiencing a crash, as long as I run only that game and don't lt-tab etc.

I'm running:

Windows XP Home
    Quad core 6700 cpu
    2gb corsair xps ram
    850W galaxy psu
    3 12" fans + Zallman flower fan for cpu
    asus p5wdg2 ws Pro motherboard crossfire

Also I can't load any of the 3DMark apps, they just won't get past the checking system config screen. They freeze here and i have to close them with ctrl-alt-del etc.

When i try to enable crossfire on ccc 7.6 is asks to restart system etc, so I say yes but when windows re-boots the box is still not checked and the games run sluggish, yes, even WoW in full gfx mode.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on the matter!

2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Hehe, sonds like you have money to burn my friend...

Try one card at a time, this will tell you if one of them is the cause. If not, it's probably poor driver support. Use 7.6 regardless, it is said to fix many problems, despite the Crossfire issues.

3. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    Get yourself a copy of Window Vista.. better drivers there for the HD2900XT an better support for Crossfire..

4. Arriane

Arriane New Member

GPU:
    ATI 2900XT 512mb
    thanks for replies, i'm gonna go with Vista option.. dx10 and all that, was bound to upgrade eventually :) hopefully this will help!

5. Vanadis

Vanadis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    The 3d mark problem is a well known one. Search google for 3d mark HD2900 hotfix or something like that.

As for your problem with freezes etc. in windows, I started having them aswell since tonight. :(
    I suspect my mobo though, it's been very unreliable with overclocks lately.

I've reset everything to stock speeds and so far I haven't had a crash anymore, I'll see how it goes.

6. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    What I noticed was how hot the PCB gets on the 2900's. It really starts to warm up my northbridge once it's been running in a 3d app for a while. Watch your MB temps! Mine has been getting very close to 50c a few times...frickin' summer heat!

7. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
  8. isrcourt

isrcourt New Member

Hi arriane,
    I also have two HD2900XT (Sapphire) cards in Crossfire mode. I'm running an ASUS P5B Premium VISTA Edition MOBO, Thermaltake 850w PSU, 3GB Crucial PC2-6400 RAM, Intel E6600 CPU and WIndows VISTA/Windows XP dual boot solution. The Sapphire cards have HD audio capability (among other proprietary stuff) and you must load the drivers from the CD that came with the cards first, then load the AMD/ATI CCC v7.6 drivers. This version supposedly fixes the Crossfire problem...in that the crossfire option will place a check in the box, but wouldn't actually turn it on. I have different issues with my system. I can't get either OS to see the ATI drivers on the first cold boot unless I shut down and then imediately restart, enter CMOS setup, exit and save (without changing anything) and then allow the PC to boot normally. THEN everything works properly. I suspect a bad MOBO though and plan on replacing it. Please read AMD/ATI release notes for the v7.6 CCC. I remember reading something about games behaving in a manner that you are experiencing...and some issues won't be fixed until v7.7 & v7.8 CCC.
    Best regards,
    isrcourt

9. isrcourt

isrcourt New Member

Sorry, I hit submit twice...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Have you downloaded the fix for Cfire have submit ATi for 7.6.. (hotfix driver).. Perhaps is it what you have talking about isrcourt..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007

11. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    problem with crossfire not stick is known problem, even for me, that hotfix for that fixes nothing

12. isrcourt

isrcourt New Member

Hi lane,
    Yes, that's what I was referring to, not the basic v7.6 CCC. Thanks for correcting me.
    isrcourt

13. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    isrcurt.. that PSU dosnt wor great with crossfirin two HD2900XT's.. i had the same PSU and well i had to RMA i computer cause of that damn PSU.
    Quoted from a mail from ATI: "Thank you for contacting AMD ETSC.

Regarding your request, the Ati Radeon HD X2900 requires a lot of power and there are some issue with some power supplies with the compatibilitiy. The power supply you have is not in our list of the power supplies we have tested. This is the list where you can have a look:

http://ati.amd.com/products/certified/powersupplies.html

For more questions, please contact us.

Regards,

Luciano AMD ETSC"

14. gbak

gbak Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870X2 1GB
    i think for xp the catalyst does not help the xfire even patched the fix...i sold one of my 2900 to a dude ....and i wait for better drivers...because when i running 3dmark the scores with xfire enable was lowest than a single card operation...
    but even you run one 2900 single the performance is superb at newest games like lost planet,dirt...
    Great performance for this price!

15. isrcourt

isrcourt New Member

Hi steppis,
    I followed your link and yes, my PSU is NOT listed under single card operation, however, if you go to the Crossfire link on that page (under "Build Your Own") you will see that it IS certified for Crossfire with the HD2900XT.
    My PSU is the Toughpower 850WW0131RU (850W)

Here's that link:
    http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/buildyourown2.html

Now that's not to say you might not have gotten a bad PSU out-of-the-box, it happens. But the saying: "Whatever works for you..." is germane. I still suspect that things will settle down with drivers maturing, both from ATI and BIOS updates. But for me, I plan to RMA my MOBO.
    Best regards,
    isrcourt